E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Retrofit Flappy Paddles?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #111
gizard
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: e91 335d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London & IW

iTrader: (0)

Hi All. First post here so Hello All.

I have a 2010 335d (E91) Touring. It came with the Single M3 Style paddles (I.e. Pull left to go down a gear and Pull right to go up a Gear). When deciding on the purchase my wife drove a car with the two way paddles (ie you can push either side to go down a gear or pull either side to go up a gear) and decided that if the car would have these then we would have this model as opposed to a manual 330d or a Manual 335i

Anyway I have bought some two way paddles and followed the handy guide and fitted them but they do not work at all and prevent the sport mode from working, if i change the paddles back everything works fine.

The M3 style paddles each have a three way connector but only use pins 1 and three, the two paddles use all three and I have tried wapping out all the pins to no avail.

What I have discovered is the the down shift paddle and a low resitance (0.35k ohms) when pressed and the up shift paddle higher resistance (1.18k ohms), whereas the two paddles have no resistance at all.

From this I conclude that later model cars work in a different way - I perhaps need to get hold of some resistors and try some investtagtions?

any comments?

cheers

G.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #112
Futie
Private
Futie's Avatar
Austria
3
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320i 4cyl 16v 150hp
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria/Vienna

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to Futie Send a message via Skype™ to Futie
Please take a look here and comment if you want.
Thank you
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=75
__________________
They called him only Tsonchev
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #113
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
26
Rep
2,367
Posts

 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizard View Post
Hi All. First post here so Hello All.

I have a 2010 335d (E91) Touring. It came with the Single M3 Style paddles (I.e. Pull left to go down a gear and Pull right to go up a Gear). When deciding on the purchase my wife drove a car with the two way paddles (ie you can push either side to go down a gear or pull either side to go up a gear) and decided that if the car would have these then we would have this model as opposed to a manual 330d or a Manual 335i

Anyway I have bought some two way paddles and followed the handy guide and fitted them but they do not work at all and prevent the sport mode from working, if i change the paddles back everything works fine.

The M3 style paddles each have a three way connector but only use pins 1 and three, the two paddles use all three and I have tried wapping out all the pins to no avail.

What I have discovered is the the down shift paddle and a low resitance (0.35k ohms) when pressed and the up shift paddle higher resistance (1.18k ohms), whereas the two paddles have no resistance at all.

From this I conclude that later model cars work in a different way - I perhaps need to get hold of some resistors and try some investtagtions?

any comments?

cheers

G.
how much do you want for the single way paddles?

PM if easier
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #114
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
57
Rep
3,686
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizard View Post
Hi All. First post here so Hello All.

I have a 2010 335d (E91) Touring. It came with the Single M3 Style paddles (I.e. Pull left to go down a gear and Pull right to go up a Gear). When deciding on the purchase my wife drove a car with the two way paddles (ie you can push either side to go down a gear or pull either side to go up a gear) and decided that if the car would have these then we would have this model as opposed to a manual 330d or a Manual 335i

Anyway I have bought some two way paddles and followed the handy guide and fitted them but they do not work at all and prevent the sport mode from working, if i change the paddles back everything works fine.

The M3 style paddles each have a three way connector but only use pins 1 and three, the two paddles use all three and I have tried wapping out all the pins to no avail.

What I have discovered is the the down shift paddle and a low resitance (0.35k ohms) when pressed and the up shift paddle higher resistance (1.18k ohms), whereas the two paddles have no resistance at all.

From this I conclude that later model cars work in a different way - I perhaps need to get hold of some resistors and try some investtagtions?

any comments?

cheers

G.
ive tried fitting the newer paddles to my 2007 and cant get them to work have you had any luck with yours
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #115
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
ive tried fitting the newer paddles to my 2007 and cant get them to work have you had any luck with yours
You seen this Jeff:

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

It might be worth finding out a bit more about it.
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #116
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
57
Rep
3,686
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
You seen this Jeff:

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

It might be worth finding out a bit more about it.
hi ian, i emailed them twice to see if they had any advice in swopping the paddles but they never responded! this kit is a total retrofit kit which i think is relatively easy. im waiting to see what h+c have to say on monday otherwise i think i will have to send them back (more problems no doubt!)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #117
AlanIOW
Private First Class
AlanIOW's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Isle of Wight, UK.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
ive tried fitting the newer paddles to my 2007 and cant get them to work have you had any luck with yours
Acerboo

I have responded to your PM, but having seen the latest posts here by Gizard, he suggests the new switches change resistance rather than being open/ close, I think this means the newer switches [LCi] will not work with pre LCi cars without some coding if at all.

PS Gizard are you also from the Isle of Wight?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #118
larryzhou
Private
1
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: 120i mt
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: shanghai

iTrader: (0)

any progress for the new style shifters?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #119
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
57
Rep
3,686
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryzhou View Post
any progress for the new style shifters?
yes i have them working now, i got mine from nexon motors on ebay, the 1st set we could not get to work, i told nexon and he sent another set he said had been modifired , i took these to h+c motors in maidstone and he got them to work with some rewiring, cost me 80, which was well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #120
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
26
Rep
2,367
Posts

 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

iTrader: (0)

Nice, what was the total cost in the end? Sorry if it says in the thread I'm on my phone
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #121
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
57
Rep
3,686
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
Nice, what was the total cost in the end? Sorry if it says in the thread I'm on my phone
about 240 for the paddles + 80 fitting
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #122
Adil
Private First Class
3
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: E46 330ci M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Can anyone do this on a performance bmw steering wheel (Auto)? Would it be relativelyt he same to make it work?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #123
EQUANT
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bucharest

iTrader: (0)

I also mounted the LCI paddles on my 2010 320d. Had to remove both rezistors in each paddle and jump one of them with a small wire.
They work perfectly.
__________________
BMW 320 dA LCI, BMW PPK - 197HP, 2010, sapphire black, steptronic
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #124
cupraraj
Captain
cupraraj's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
883
Posts

 
Drives: 330d E90 M Sport Auto
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
i have a 2006 330d. if i retro fit paddles will they work in D mode also?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #125
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
127
Rep
7,607
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
i have a 2006 330d. if i retro fit paddles will they work in D mode also?
They cannot and will not work in D mode.
However I have not attempted and my plan is to attempt them like they came from factory. That may work in D mode as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #126
cupraraj
Captain
cupraraj's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
883
Posts

 
Drives: 330d E90 M Sport Auto
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
They cannot and will not work in D mode.
However I have not attempted and my plan is to attempt them like they came from factory. That may work in D mode as well.
it looks like Dr. Dave works fine and reading what he drove was an 06 330d so very confusing!

also read somewhere in US that need some sort of module if weve got the older cars.

if you crack the code please do let me know. ive got the steering wheel and ill be happy to drive down.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:02 AM   #127
the_ape
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Staffordshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Just a quick thought, I've got an aftermarket BT Kit, so the actual BMW buttons are useless to me, I was wondering if you could do a cheaper version of the mod using the two 'spare' buttons on the multi function? I know it's not ideal, but I might have a look. Anyone taken the multi function buttons apart? I take it that they aren't individually wired?

Oh reason I mentioned this, I'm struggling to get a wheel at a half decent price, so if anyone knows of anywhere good to get one let me know, ebay has a couple, but they are all manky and scuffed etc.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:31 AM   #128
Waspo
First Lieutenant
Waspo's Avatar
England
12
Rep
343
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southampton, England

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
They cannot and will not work in D mode.
However I have not attempted and my plan is to attempt them like they came from factory. That may work in D mode as well.
Watching this one Sam!!!!!!!
__________________
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:01 AM   #129
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
127
Rep
7,607
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
They cannot and will not work in D mode.
However I have not attempted and my plan is to attempt them like they came from factory. That may work in D mode as well.
Watching this one Sam!!!!!!!
Plan was to try it when I fit in your car but that has changed as you know.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:34 AM   #130
Somerset Jim
Second Lieutenant
Somerset Jim's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
226
Posts

 
Drives: E91 330d SE Auto Pre LCI
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Taunton, Somerset

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
it looks like Dr. Dave works fine and reading what he drove was an 06 330d so very confusing!

also read somewhere in US that need some sort of module if weve got the older cars.

if you crack the code please do let me know. ive got the steering wheel and ill be happy to drive down.
I've just finished fitting this to my car and it won't work when in normal D mode. Only when in sport mode.

Again if it is something that is cracked I'd be very interested in go having it sorted on mine.

Chuffed to bits with the result thus far though
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST