E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Retrofit Flappy Paddles?

05-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #111
gizard
Registered

Drives: e91 335d

Hi All. First post here so Hello All.

I have a 2010 335d (E91) Touring. It came with the Single M3 Style paddles (I.e. Pull left to go down a gear and Pull right to go up a Gear). When deciding on the purchase my wife drove a car with the two way paddles (ie you can push either side to go down a gear or pull either side to go up a gear) and decided that if the car would have these then we would have this model as opposed to a manual 330d or a Manual 335i

Anyway I have bought some two way paddles and followed the handy guide and fitted them but they do not work at all and prevent the sport mode from working, if i change the paddles back everything works fine.

The M3 style paddles each have a three way connector but only use pins 1 and three, the two paddles use all three and I have tried wapping out all the pins to no avail.

What I have discovered is the the down shift paddle and a low resitance (0.35k ohms) when pressed and the up shift paddle higher resistance (1.18k ohms), whereas the two paddles have no resistance at all.

From this I conclude that later model cars work in a different way - I perhaps need to get hold of some resistors and try some investtagtions?

any comments?

cheers

G.
      06-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #112
Futie
Private

Drives: E90 320i 4cyl 16v 150hp

Send a message via Yahoo to Futie Send a message via Skype™ to Futie
Please take a look here and comment if you want.
Thank you
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=75
      06-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #113
BGM
Colonel

Drives: F21 118d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizard View Post

I have a 2010 335d (E91) Touring. It came with the Single M3 Style paddles (I.e. Pull left to go down a gear and Pull right to go up a Gear). When deciding on the purchase my wife drove a car with the two way paddles (ie you can push either side to go down a gear or pull either side to go up a gear) and decided that if the car would have these then we would have this model as opposed to a manual 330d or a Manual 335i

Anyway I have bought some two way paddles and followed the handy guide and fitted them but they do not work at all and prevent the sport mode from working, if i change the paddles back everything works fine.

The M3 style paddles each have a three way connector but only use pins 1 and three, the two paddles use all three and I have tried wapping out all the pins to no avail.

What I have discovered is the the down shift paddle and a low resitance (0.35k ohms) when pressed and the up shift paddle higher resistance (1.18k ohms), whereas the two paddles have no resistance at all.

From this I conclude that later model cars work in a different way - I perhaps need to get hold of some resistors and try some investtagtions?

any comments?

cheers

G.
how much do you want for the single way paddles?

PM if easier
BGM is offline   United Kingdom
      06-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #114
acerboo
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizard View Post

any comments?

cheers

G.
ive tried fitting the newer paddles to my 2007 and cant get them to work have you had any luck with yours
acerboo is offline   England
      06-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #115
Hotcoupe
Major General

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
ive tried fitting the newer paddles to my 2007 and cant get them to work have you had any luck with yours
You seen this Jeff:

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

It might be worth finding out a bit more about it.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Hotcoupe is offline   United Kingdom
      06-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #116
acerboo
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
You seen this Jeff:

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

It might be worth finding out a bit more about it.
hi ian, i emailed them twice to see if they had any advice in swopping the paddles but they never responded! this kit is a total retrofit kit which i think is relatively easy. im waiting to see what h+c have to say on monday otherwise i think i will have to send them back (more problems no doubt!)
      07-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #117
AlanIOW
Private First Class

Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
Acerboo

I have responded to your PM, but having seen the latest posts here by Gizard, he suggests the new switches change resistance rather than being open/ close, I think this means the newer switches [LCi] will not work with pre LCi cars without some coding if at all.

PS Gizard are you also from the Isle of Wight?
AlanIOW is offline   United Kingdom
      07-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #118
larryzhou
Private

Drives: 120i mt

any progress for the new style shifters?
      07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #119
acerboo
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryzhou View Post
any progress for the new style shifters?
yes i have them working now, i got mine from nexon motors on ebay, the 1st set we could not get to work, i told nexon and he sent another set he said had been modifired , i took these to h+c motors in maidstone and he got them to work with some rewiring, cost me 80, which was well worth it.
      07-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #120
BGM
Colonel

Drives: F21 118d M Sport

Nice, what was the total cost in the end? Sorry if it says in the thread I'm on my phone
BGM is offline   United Kingdom
      07-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #121
acerboo
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
Nice, what was the total cost in the end? Sorry if it says in the thread I'm on my phone
about 240 for the paddles + 80 fitting
      09-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #122
Adil
Private First Class

Drives: E46 330ci M Sport

Can anyone do this on a performance bmw steering wheel (Auto)? Would it be relativelyt he same to make it work?
      03-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #123
EQUANT
First Lieutenant

Drives: 320d

I also mounted the LCI paddles on my 2010 320d. Had to remove both rezistors in each paddle and jump one of them with a small wire.
They work perfectly.