E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Workin' Mans Track Toy



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
Lucky1
Captain
 
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 813
iTrader: (0)

Don't forget the 350Z / 370Z. Big aftermarket if I heard correctly including forced induction options. And browsing through the classifieds I see that they aren't that expensive on resale either!
Lucky1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #24
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,242
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
I would say miata all the way, no matter what there will be someone else at the track with another one for you to play around with or even possibly help you out with parts.
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (0)

My head knows that the miata is the right choice...Cheap parts if you go farming etc, i need to drive one
MisterSkiMask is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #26
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
 
TSM330i's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

Posts: 2,874
iTrader: (2)

Definately Miata. Cheap parts and you can probably buy a track prepared car for cheap as well.
That being said, I've recently seen a Catheram for sale in DuPont Registry for $12K.
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
TSM330i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #27
epbrown
Colonel
 
epbrown's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 2,133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
So, what is it?
Boxster
Miata
S2000
Other?
Personally, I'd go with a Porsche 944 (1983-1985) or 924S. Cheap, durable, great handling and braking, it's a coupe so fewer track event restrictions.
epbrown is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #28
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,002
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
My head knows that the miata is the right choice...Cheap parts if you go farming etc, i need to drive one
Yep, go drive one. Some tracks even have rental Spec Miatae. I will sheepishly admit to being lapped by a (extremely well driven, clearly ) Spec Miata while in my M Coupe.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #29
JoosyJoos
Major
 
JoosyJoos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Johns Creek, GA

Posts: 1,291
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to JoosyJoos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Personally, I'd go with a Porsche 944 (1983-1985) or 924S. Cheap, durable, great handling and braking, it's a coupe so fewer track event restrictions.
Not really cheap to maintain, especially when compared to a miata. Great cars though--- but you'd be paying for it. Not to mention the timing belts and tensioners are notorious for ruining engines.
__________________

1998 M3 Vert
1995 M3 Track Car
2008 335i - Retired
JoosyJoos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #30
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Older C5 Corvette. Maybe a Z06 version at the expense of extra beans.
Either way, a bulletproof V8 with massive low rpm TQ and big HP #'s, great brakes already installed and lightweight enough. Easy to work on, tons of mods and makers of aftermarket parts and pretty easy to wrench yourself.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #31
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
 
TSM330i's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

Posts: 2,874
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Older C5 Corvette. Maybe a Z06 version at the expense of extra beans.
Either way, a bulletproof V8 with massive low rpm TQ and big HP #'s, great brakes already installed and lightweight enough. Easy to work on, tons of mods and makers of aftermarket parts and pretty easy to wrench yourself.
+1

My last instructor had a 944 S2 turbo race car that he got tired of fixing (1 turbo and 2 heads in one season), so he put an LS1 in it and hasn't had an issue since.

Older C5 is a fantastic way to go racing for less money than you thought. I think stock rotors are $45.
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
TSM330i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #32
turb0mike
First Lieutenant ///M killer
 
turb0mike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i, 2006 E55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Barbara

Posts: 2,630
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [4.45]
A Spec'd miata will run laps around most any other car.
__________________

- turb0mike -
turb0mike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #33
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
A Spec'd miata will run laps around most any other car.
In a little parking lot auto-X maybe.....maybe.
On a real track........... it better stick to parking lots.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #34
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
In a little parking lot auto-X maybe.....maybe.
On a real track........... it better stick to parking lots.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #35
JoosyJoos
Major
 
JoosyJoos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Johns Creek, GA

Posts: 1,291
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to JoosyJoos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
In a little parking lot auto-X maybe.....maybe.
On a real track........... it better stick to parking lots.
Maybe you should turn on the Continental Challenge sometime. Miatas can be seriously quick.
__________________

1998 M3 Vert
1995 M3 Track Car
2008 335i - Retired
JoosyJoos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #36
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (0)

After spending some time on the track, I definitely respect the miata. You can learn a lot by tucking in behind one and learning how to corner.

A momentum car will definitely make you a better driver then, say a corvette.
MisterSkiMask is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #37
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Maybe you should turn on the Continental Challenge sometime. Miatas can be seriously quick.
How bout a list of the winners over the years. Not only do I not see any miata winners I certainly dont see any 'running any laps" around the competition.

Season GS Champion Car ST Champion Car
2004 Craig Stanton
Terry Borcheller Cadillac CTS-V David Haskell
Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8
2005 David Empringham
Scott Maxwell Ford Mustang David Haskell
Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8
2006 Anders Hainer
Spencer Pumpelly BMW M3 Don Salama
Will Turner BMW 3 Series
2007 Jeff Segal
Jep Thornton BMW M3 Trevor Hopwood
Adam Burrows BMW 3 Series
2008 Joe Foster
Scott Maxwell Ford Mustang Jamie Holtom Chevrolet Cobalt
2009 Kenny Wilden Ford Mustang Christian Miller Honda Civic Si
2010 Charles Espenlaub
Charles Putman BMW M3 David Thilenius1
Lawson Aschenbach1 Honda Civic Si
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #38
JoosyJoos
Major
 
JoosyJoos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Johns Creek, GA

Posts: 1,291
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to JoosyJoos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
How bout a list of the winners over the years. Not only do I not see any miata winners I certainly dont see any 'running any laps" around the competition.

Season GS Champion Car ST Champion Car
2004 Craig Stanton
Terry Borcheller Cadillac CTS-V David Haskell
Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8
2005 David Empringham
Scott Maxwell Ford Mustang David Haskell
Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8
2006 Anders Hainer
Spencer Pumpelly BMW M3 Don Salama
Will Turner BMW 3 Series
2007 Jeff Segal
Jep Thornton BMW M3 Trevor Hopwood
Adam Burrows BMW 3 Series
2008 Joe Foster
Scott Maxwell Ford Mustang Jamie Holtom Chevrolet Cobalt
2009 Kenny Wilden Ford Mustang Christian Miller Honda Civic Si
2010 Charles Espenlaub
Charles Putman BMW M3 David Thilenius1
Lawson Aschenbach1 Honda Civic Si
First off you're mixing classes ST and GS. Second, I said quick, not fastest. That and Mazda officially backed the RX-8 up until recently when they started to encourage their Miata's and Speed3's in ST.
__________________

1998 M3 Vert
1995 M3 Track Car
2008 335i - Retired
JoosyJoos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #39
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Boxster. Can't beat the balance of the mid-engine.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #40
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

s2000 IMO.
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #41
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
First off you're mixing classes ST and GS. Second, I said quick, not fastest. That and Mazda officially backed the RX-8 up until recently when they started to encourage their Miata's and Speed3's in ST.
First off, I know I posted both classes. Cut and pasted it and thats the way it is. Not a big deal unless someone wants to distract attention from the jest of it.
Secondly, you brought up the series not me, I posted data from that series thats disproves your arguement and now you to change your story? If you bring up racing you should be prepared to show checkered flags to validate your point. A big goose egg 0 and splitting the hair between 'quick" and "fast" doesnt "cut" it.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #42
HBspeed
Lieutenant
 
HBspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Posts: 579
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I went with a 1975 911 S...
HBspeed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST