E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need a drop... and some answers.

08-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
MaximusJ
Colonel

Drives: 325i 2006

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
Need a drop... and some answers.

If I dont really track the car and my OEM comfort is fine, but I'm only looking for a 0.5 / 0.75" drop, what setup would you recommend?

I was about to order a KW Variant 1 coilover kit, but since I dont really need something that performant, I was wondering if I could find a cheaper solution.

I saw performance springs on sale at Tischer, but I remember reading some bad experiences with guys who only had springs and their shocks were'nt reacting very good; anybody can concur?

Thanks for the help.
MaximusJ is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag

Drives: 1.9L of fury

You can try ST V1's which are similar to the KW v1s, but a little cheaper. The difference is that the KWs are stainless steel and the STs are aluminzed steel I think. Since you live up in Canada, you may want to the KWs for weather durability though.

Otherwise, you can try a putting tegether a spring/shock setup, like performance springs with koni sport shocks. That should come in at less money than coilovers, and is still a capable setup.
mike-y is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
328skidpad
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 335 e92 13 328 e93 08 ody

coils and cup kit

St V1's are excellent after driving many cars on cup kits, there is a reason why coilovers are more. Dont be like a lot of people that go the easier way out.

Save your money for a few months and get the coils..

Alan at **********s was a great resource.
good luck

have ST V1 and love them,
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
MaximusJ
Colonel

Drives: 325i 2006

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
That's pretty much my conclusions 328skidpad.

A wise old man once said : "If you gotta do things, do things right!"

I guess i'll keep my eye open for a sweet deal on a KW set.
MaximusJ is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
ModBargains.com
Banned

Drives: JB E92 335i

Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more money doing it right the first time around.

With that being said, I would most definitely recommend that you go with a coilover system and do it right the first time. The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

The ST V1 coilovers by KW Suspension is a great choice as they're a great overall system and are definitely affordable. Coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. to further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection.

Seeing how you're from Canada and may have salt/corrosion from wintertime, a better choice may be to go with the KW V1 system as they are made of stainless steel. Either way, we do have some great deals and I'd be more than happy to pass them over to you. I'll shoot you over a PM with more details
ModBargains.com is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
edirtaynine
Major General

Drives: e92

if u want only a 0.5" drop (whats the point?), and dont mind factory ride and handling, just get lowering perches. it'll drop the front of the car 0.5" and retain full normal use of the factory spring/shock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
tunachris
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I did KW Series 1 and love them. Car is dropped to the max, and the ride was no worse that stock. Did have some issues with bottoming out over speed bumps and big potholes at first. I have since changed out the run-flat Michelin Pilot Sports to non-run-flats, and that may be the best mod. I have done to the car! The money I saved over the runflats paid for a "space saver" tire kit for long road trips.
tunachris is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0