E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > CPO or Extended Vehicle Protection?

08-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
P1et
Colonel

Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i

CPO or Extended Vehicle Protection?

My wife is looking for a new car, and we're considering either a 328i Coupe/Convertible or a 335i Coupe/Convertible. Looks like it'll be a 2009+.

Obviously a CPO warranty is nice to have. However, can't I just buy a (cheaper) non-CPO BMW and then buy a Extended Vehicle Protection warranty aftewards? From my research, it seems that a CPO is the same as a Gold Extended Vehicle Protection plan.

Second question: would it make a difference in this scenario to buy from non-CPO BMW from a BMW dealership vs. a non-BMW dealership?

Thanks for your help.
      08-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
CRG3
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 M-Sport

You're right, the CPO warranty appears to be identical to the "Gold" Extended Vehicle Protection. Plus, with the Gold, you have more options as to whether you choose 6 or 7 yrs and either 70k or 100k miles.
My preference is to buy from an individual seller, which can often save you alot, but make sure to get a thorough pre-purchase inspection (PPI). Better yet, take the car you're interested in to a BMW dealer for the PPI and while there, have them pull up the service history on the car to confirm it has had all the scheduled maintenance and/or any major issues. Plus, this is very important!!! - absolutely confirm thru the BMW dealership that the car is eligible for their extended vehicle protection plan. Remember, some BMWs, like buybacks are not eligible.
      08-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
P1et
Colonel

Thank you. Can I make the assumption that any non-CPO BMW purchased at a BMW dealership will be eligible for Extended Vehicle Protection?
      08-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
CRG3
Private

No, I wouldn't make that assumption. There will be a definite reason why a BMW dealer will choose not CPO a car that should be eligible to be CPO'd. For example, Lemon Law buybacks are not eligible for CPO nor the Extended Vehicle Protection. For example, BMW has had to buy back cars because of the HPFP issue. If you find a non-CPO, make sure the BMW dealer tells you why it's not being sold as a CPO and absolutely confirm before buying that it's eligible for Extended Vehicle Protection.

I learned about all this stuff when looking to buy a 2009 - 2010 335i coupe. My preference was to purchase a car with cash from an individual, and then add on a BMW 7 yr/100k Extended Vehicle Protection warranty. I wanted a full 7 yrs to have the max amount of time to keep the car while under warranty. The max you can get with a CPO is only 6 yrs. It's personal, but I won't own a BMW 335i without a warranty.

Anyway, after looking for approx 7 mos, I found that used prices were just too high, apparently because BMW didn't sell a whole lot of cars during those worst yrs of the recession. And when you then add on an extra approx $3000 for the Extended Vehicle Protection, I came to the realization it was a better value to just buy a new 2011 and get exactly what I want. It ended up being $47.4K before tax and title. Plus, I got 0.9% BMW financing for 36 mos - which I'd have to be an idiot to turn down.

Bottom line: it may be worthwhile to look into buying new. I got the Costco $500 over invoice deal.

Good luck!
      08-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
P1et
Colonel

Thanks for that piece of information. When looking at the used car market, it seems that the older the car is, the more likely it is that it will be CPO.

Why is that newer cars are less likely to have CPO?
      08-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
CRG3
Private

As you know, all BMWs come with the factory 4 yr, 50K warranty. I think a majority of buyers purchase based on emotion, and having 1 or 2+ years of warranty left on a '09 or '10 is acceptable to most people. Many buyers are happy to be getting a newer car and in all the excitement, aren't worried about 3-4 years down the road. Plus, alot of people just aren't aware of how expensive it can be to repair these cars, and how unreliable, in my opinion, 335i turbos are compared to the Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Subaru products. So, the dealers don't have to add on a CPO to move the newer cars.