E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 Rear diffuser for Non Mtech/ M3 Bumpers



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #265
klove83
Captain
United_States
37

 
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO


Posts: 650
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Why isnt it wrapping around to the side of the bumper following the bumper line? I think its looking funny the way you have it cut. Please have it wrap around to the sides.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #266
klove83
Captain
United_States
37

 
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO


Posts: 650
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
My car is needing this diffuser bad :/



__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #267
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
28

 
rollinstone157's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA


Posts: 1,701
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klove83 View Post
My car is needing this diffuser bad :/



Hmm...I love your car, I like your wheels but...I'm not sold on the paint job on the wheels, unless that's post-processing that made something look screwy. To me, it looks like color-shifting paint, please tell me it's not
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #268
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
481

 
ska///235i's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston


Posts: 9,154
iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klove83 View Post
Why isnt it wrapping around to the side of the bumper following the bumper line? I think its looking funny the way you have it cut. Please have it wrap around to the sides.
i agree, it should follow the lines thats already there
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #269
Infamous
Secret Asian Man
United_States
35

 
Infamous's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego


Posts: 1,723
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klove83 View Post
My car is needing this diffuser bad :/



dude sick ass wheels, what finish is that?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #270
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
23

 
Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM


Posts: 386
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
just a thought, what if both side are more straight down like this:



not the lexus, but just using the F10 as a reference.
+1 , i would even try the curving like the f10's at top portion
__________________
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_8ydeASLoyM/U9XDoM5BjZI/AAAAAAAAVow/5j2M2PHbm4o/w1043-h308-no/DSC_0434-2.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #271
irq5
South Africa
14

 
irq5's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Johannesburg, SA


Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Hey... So spoke to the moulder this morning and all is not lost. We're going to get the fitment 100% this week still and then modify the moulds which are already in progress at the moment (second opening and ones with fins) to make sure they all fit perfectly...

As for the cut - I tried it following the line of the bumper, but it didn't look good in my opinion - there are so many crease lines around the ends of the bumper that it doesn't really look good. I tried to make it follow a similar line to the m-tech rather. The mould itself does wrap right the way around the bumper, so if anyone does want to have one custom made to a slightly different cut, I can always send one that hasn't been cut and you can modify as you'd like - just needs to be cut, sanded and then have the edges touched up with some black paint. You could do a cut-out at the top similar to the f10 in this way too. Unfortunately not on the ones with fins though as they will go right to the top.

Just a few thoughts. Either way, I'll post some more updates by the end of the week.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #272
texdrake
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2011 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wiesbaden Germany


Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Nice...getting excited. Can't wait for the 328 LCI one!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #273
kudos
Lieutenant
7

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida


Posts: 473
iTrader: (2)

How long until you think you'll be able to ship them out?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #274
klove83
Captain
United_States
37

 
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO


Posts: 650
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by irq5 View Post
Hey... So spoke to the moulder this morning and all is not lost. We're going to get the fitment 100% this week still and then modify the moulds which are already in progress at the moment (second opening and ones with fins) to make sure they all fit perfectly...

As for the cut - I tried it following the line of the bumper, but it didn't look good in my opinion - there are so many crease lines around the ends of the bumper that it doesn't really look good. I tried to make it follow a similar line to the m-tech rather. The mould itself does wrap right the way around the bumper, so if anyone does want to have one custom made to a slightly different cut, I can always send one that hasn't been cut and you can modify as you'd like - just needs to be cut, sanded and then have the edges touched up with some black paint. You could do a cut-out at the top similar to the f10 in this way too. Unfortunately not on the ones with fins though as they will go right to the top.

Just a few thoughts. Either way, I'll post some more updates by the end of the week.
Can you show us what it looks like wrapped around? I really feel that is the best look. The diffuser u posted looks handicapped. It makes the diffuser look like it was added on instead of a nice factory look to it ( if that makes sense )
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #275
klove83
Captain
United_States
37

 
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO


Posts: 650
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by klove83 View Post
My car is needing this diffuser bad :/



Hmm...I love your car, I like your wheels but...I'm not sold on the paint job on the wheels, unless that's post-processing that made something look screwy. To me, it looks like color-shifting paint, please tell me it's not
...And yes that is color shifting paint.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #276
irq5
South Africa
14

 
irq5's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Johannesburg, SA


Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
How long until you think you'll be able to ship them out?
I'd say about a month or two depending on which one. I'm getting the current mould fixed this week and then we've started on the 3 that will follow - i.e. with fins, dual opening and dual opening with fins.

Once the moulds are done (about 2 weeks) we'll be able to start manufacturing and that takes about 2 days per piece - so we'll have stock of everything within 2 months. But like I say, depending on what you want I might have it earlier.

Will keep you posted as the development comes along.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #277
irq5
South Africa
14

 
irq5's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Johannesburg, SA


Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klove83 View Post
Can you show us what it looks like wrapped around? I really feel that is the best look. The diffuser u posted looks handicapped. It makes the diffuser look like it was added on instead of a nice factory look to it ( if that makes sense )
I'll see what I can do. If there is one that hasn't been cut yet then I'll take some pics and post - and if not I'll ask that they leave one uncut for you
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #278
Magic-Man
Banned
United_States
41

 
Drives: N54
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northeast


Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irq5 View Post
So... Here are some photos of the final product (for now). We had to use a lot of beading tape to hold down the sides because as I mentioned above it doesn't quite follow the contour of the bumper properly

Am visiting the moulder on Monday to discuss how we can rectify this, but this should give you a good idea of what will be available when we get it 100%









Will give you guys an update after the discussion with the moulder on Monday... Sorry about this...
Looks like crap
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #279
irq5
South Africa
14

 
irq5's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Johannesburg, SA


Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Man View Post
Looks like crap
Thanks for that...

You realise it is a development part?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #280
CobraMarty
Lieutenant
23

 
CobraMarty's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA


Posts: 504
iTrader: (5)

Real close. I'd like to see the sides a bit more vertical and a tighter radius at the corner.
__________________
2007 328xi E92 Coupe // 6 MT-Crimson Red, Black Interior, Brushed Silver Trim//Sport Seats//BMW Perf. SW Alcantara//CF Roof, Front Lip, Trunk Lip Spoilers//18" 197, F-5mm, R-15mm Spacers//Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads//MGP Red Caliper Covers//BMW Alarm System//BMW CF Perf. Strut Brace//LUX H8 v3.0 AE//6k HID Fogs//BMW PE//Macht Schnell Intake Scoops//BMW EURO Intake//AA Tune//188AWHP-->196AWHP-->216AWHP//SOON- 3 Stage Intake Manifold!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #281
E46toE90
Sparkling Graphite Metallic FTW
54

 
E46toE90's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the bronx


Posts: 2,560
iTrader: (12)

I think it should flow with the lines of the bumper

At the end of the day it's a different style so why try to imitate the real diffuser that is short.

Just follow the lines and it will look like it belongs
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #282
kudos
Lieutenant
7

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida


Posts: 473
iTrader: (2)

Could probably keep it like it is except just make it more vertical on the ends. Would really like to see it on a car that makes it contrast more like AW.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #283
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
72

 
lawwailok's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA


Posts: 1,923
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
Could probably keep it like it is except just make it more vertical on the ends. Would really like to see it on a car that makes it contrast more like AW.
+1, now it's like in between of something, kinda out of place...
too short to match the stock existing curve, but too long and not vertical enough to be a "mtech" style..
__________________
-eric
E90 335i TiAg *STOCK* see my garage for mod list..
E70 X5 SGM *try to stay stock* :/
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #284
klove83
Captain
United_States
37

 
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO


Posts: 650
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Ok so I took a little time to photoshop this pic to show what it would look like if you followed the line of the bumper. i tried to show a lip around it also. I dont see why you would turn this idea away and cut off the sides to make it straight down like the m style...

__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #285
klove83
Captain
United_States
37

 
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO


Posts: 650
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I have no idea how the fins would look best on the diffuser. Here is one of my mock ups.

__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #286
klove83
Captain
United_States
37

 
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO


Posts: 650
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
This one has the fins go over the bump also but its not raised as high

__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST