E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Valve Carbon Build Up Solution?

09-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #23
MilehighM3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

BG has 2 different DI cleaners. There's a chemical manual cleaning solution, that's 2 steps including a rough and fine cleaning of the valves. It uses 2 different chemicals, one stronger than the other and soaks the valves. After sitting a while, you scrub with a small brush or bunch of zip ties bundled together (which works quite well). The other is a fogging into the intake and a can of 44k in the tank. Technically a 2 step treatment, but no direct carbon effect. The fogging works great if you can do it every 15-18k miles, no more than 20k. Beyond that, you may as well do a manual cleaning, or 2 fogs after successive tanks of fuel to really get that crap out. I did my first fog cleaning 18k and it made a very noticeable improvement. Strongly recommend the proactive solution to this of more frequent cleaning to save power/mileage on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #24
MilehighM3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
Yes it works great. Dealers have a kick ass tool, if you're under warranty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflo View Post
anyone try wallnut-shell blasting?
What is this exactly?
It's like a sand blaster, but uses fine walnut shells. Walnut shells will burn out if there are any left behind after cleaning and do no damage to the engine. They really clean well, with no chemical exposure.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #25
riverol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

intake valve cleaning

What about Techron Concentrate (or BG 44 in fuel tank and ISC at the air intake), in the fuel tank (to clean fuel injectors, combustion chamber, etc.) and as a mist in the air intake, pulled by vaccum, or pushed under pressure, or both, from a convenient spot upstream? Perhaps it could be done simply with a windshield washing fluid tank and pump, and a line with a check valve, or more complex like port fuel injection or meth injection. It could be manually or automatically activated when most convenient, more or less often, etc., to prevent carbon build up altogether or clean it up periodically. Opinions, please?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #26
rosskie
Major
Rep

Drives: 335

so ur saying u want a carbon remover built into the car.

that would be perty cool if someone could make a built in spray into the throttle
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #27
iflo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

When talking to 30 year experienced tech from BMW this past Friday, he mentioned a few things:

Obviously direct injection engines haven't been around for long but I asked him what he believed was causing all this buildup.

He made it very clear that BMWs are better off than some other manufacture's DI engines he's seen.

He believes it's due to valve overlap and basically some residuals are "misting" back into the valves.

There's two ways to go about getting rid of it.

You can obviously manually remove the gunk or you can gradually reduce it and prevent it.

The quality of fuel plays a big role and he suggested adding Tecron every 3rd fill up.

After extensively reading forums on bobistheoilguy and audi forums I'm still not sold on how to prevent it.

I'm using "German Castrol" aka Castrol Syntec 0w-30 since 45k and my car now has 71k miles. Car revs like a champ. I have always used Tecron every 3k miles and change my oil every 5k.

Maybe we should start seeing what oil people are using and any known issues that arise such as rough idle or sluggish performance.

I drive 25 miles to work at speeds over 60mph. I don't know if that helps out since the engine is brought up to normal op temps.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #28
riverol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosskie View Post
so ur saying u want a carbon remover built into the car.

that would be perty cool if someone could make a built in spray into the throttle
See the methanol elbow at www.burgertuning.com and tanks, pumps, solenoids, injectors, etc. there and at www.coolingmist.com Perhaps a simple and low cost version of what they do with meth will do to put Techron in the intake as needed to clean those valves now and prevent future carbon buildup.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #29
riverol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflo View Post
When talking to 30 year experienced tech from BMW this past Friday, he mentioned a few things:

Obviously direct injection engines haven't been around for long but I asked him what he believed was causing all this buildup.

He made it very clear that BMWs are better off than some other manufacture's DI engines he's seen.

He believes it's due to valve overlap and basically some residuals are "misting" back into the valves.

There's two ways to go about getting rid of it.

You can obviously manually remove the gunk or you can gradually reduce it and prevent it.

The quality of fuel plays a big role and he suggested adding Tecron every 3rd fill up.

After extensively reading forums on bobistheoilguy and audi forums I'm still not sold on how to prevent it.

I'm using "German Castrol" aka Castrol Syntec 0w-30 since 45k and my car now has 71k miles. Car revs like a champ. I have always used Tecron every 3k miles and change my oil every 5k.

Maybe we should start seeing what oil people are using and any known issues that arise such as rough idle or sluggish performance.

I drive 25 miles to work at speeds over 60mph. I don't know if that helps out since the engine is brought up to normal op temps.
I prefer prevention to manual cleaning, falling performance and repairs. If valve overlap and blowback of residuals is the problem, then good gas, often added Techcron, should do. If oil droplets in the intake air is the problem or part of it, particularly with turbochargers and tunes, then perhaps Techcron should be put in the intake to clean those valves. Even if this were the answer, it would present the questions of how, how much, how often, etc. As for how, one could periodically spray Techcron into the intake more or less like the BG procedure, or one could install the bmw methanol intake pipe from www.burgertuning.com and spray Techron though the opening as simple or sophisticated as one likes with tanks, pumps, solenoids, injectors, or other hardware or software from www.burgertuning.com or www.coolingmist.com
Appreciate 0