E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > BMW 335i (N55) Performance Edition Retrofit Kit Review and Info



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #67
PKL
Colonel
 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 2,467
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I bet it will be free next year.
Zero chance of that.
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
PKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #68
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
 
///M Rakete's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

Posts: 855
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Zero chance of that.
In fact it supposedly won't be available after 2011.
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #69
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
In fact it supposedly won't be available after 2011.
source/link?
MPBK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #70
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
 
///M Rakete's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

Posts: 855
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
source/link?
BMW's own press release...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553916
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #71
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
 
JSTDR1V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

Posts: 2,320
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveChess100 View Post
Out of curiosity, what does that particular tune do to gas mileage?

No change, outside of the difference in how aggressive you are with the gas pedal.

I seem to get the same average 28-32MPG instant coasting on a flat surface with cruise control in 6th gear, sometimes even in 5th
JSTDR1V is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #72
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Sorry. I was thinking about the 135i. That car will continue to be available next year, yes?
If so, I bet the N55 engine in that car will come from factory with this patch, for free.
MPBK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #73
FirstBMWLA
Captain
 
FirstBMWLA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tucson,AZ

Posts: 777
iTrader: (10)

Speaking of. What happened to the group buy threads from cxracing for their kits with hoses etc. Those posts seem to be gone now
FirstBMWLA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #74
ABerry
Banned
 
Drives: e92 | n54
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 592
iTrader: (0)

is it true the N55 is missing a turbo?
ABerry is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #75
PKL
Colonel
 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 2,467
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Sorry. I was thinking about the 135i. That car will continue to be available next year, yes?
If so, I bet the N55 engine in that car will come from factory with this patch, for free.
I'm sorry but why do you think BMW will give something away for free that they charged customers $1,000+ for less than 12 months prior?

Can you explain to me when they have ever done that in the past?
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
PKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #76
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I'm sorry but why do you think BMW will give something away for free that they charged customers $1,000+ for less than 12 months prior?

Can you explain to me when they have ever done that in the past?
Are you serious?
You must be either young of age or new to BMW.
They charged me $1000+ for xenon lights back in 2000. It's standard issue now.
Same for sunroofs, power seats, KH audio, USB port, etc, etc. All chargeable options.
Why? Competition, technology update, etc.
First of all, a company that claims to be technology-savvy has nothing to gain from intentionally running their engines at less than optimal point, when a simple software update can make it produce 20 more hp with same fuel economy and emissions.
Second, they can claim 320hp in their brochures, instead of only 300hp. If they make an extra sale based on that claim, they stand to make a lot more profit than the $600 they are charging today. Isn't that more than enough reason?

Actually this has been a trend in the car industry for quite a while now. Not just BMW.
I still remember when back window defogging (the resistance strips built into the glass) was a charged option.
MPBK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #77
PKL
Colonel
 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 2,467
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Are you serious?
You must be either young of age or new to BMW.
They charged me $1000+ for xenon lights back in 2000. It's standard issue now.
Same for sunroofs, power seats, KH audio, USB port, etc, etc. All chargeable options.
Why? Competition, technology update, etc.
First of all, a company that claims to be technology-savvy has nothing to gain from intentionally running their engines at less than optimal point, when a simple software update can make it produce 20 more hp with same fuel economy and emissions.
Second, they can claim 320hp in their brochures, instead of only 300hp. If they make an extra sale based on that claim, they stand to make a lot more profit than the $600 they are charging today. Isn't that more than enough reason?

Actually this has been a trend in the car industry for quite a while now. Not just BMW.
I still remember when back window defogging (the resistance strips built into the glass) was a charged option.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing at all my friend.

This is a BMW Performance upgrade.

Saying that in the year 2000 BMW charged for sunroofs, and now they don't, could not be more irrelevant.

Bet you $100 BMW will never offer this "for free".

If what you are implying is in future model years the car will be rated with 320 hp instead of 300, I could believe that.

But it's not because they added the Performance Edition tune to the car "for free". It's because they changed the way they tuned the engine from the get go.

Maybe we are arguing over language
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
PKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #78
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I don't think we are talking about the same thing at all my friend.

This is a BMW Performance upgrade.

Saying that in the year 2000 BMW charged for sunroofs, and now they don't, could not be more irrelevant.

Bet you $100 BMW will never offer this "for free".

If what you are implying is in future model years the car will be rated with 320 hp instead of 300, I could believe that.

But it's not because they added the Performance Edition tune to the car "for free". It's because they changed the way they tuned the engine from the get go.

Maybe we are arguing over language
Why is it irrelevant? You asked when BMW gave things for free when they can charge for.
If they gave hardware, which costs them something to produce, for free, why wouldn't they give software, which costs them zero to produce (once it's already developed)?

To help determine if we're splitting hairs, what is the difference in your view of this so called Performance Edition "tune" and a "tune from the get go", if such a thing even exist?
One thing must remain constant though... we're talking about the N55 engine.
Obviously, if they change the engine, they can claim any numbers they want. Agreed?

Last edited by MPBK; 09-12-2011 at 03:32 PM.
MPBK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #79
PKL
Colonel
 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 2,467
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Why is it irrelevant? You asked when BMW gave things for free when they can charge for.
If they gave hardware, which costs them something to produce, for free, why wouldn't they give software, which costs them zero to produce (once it's already developed)?

To help determine if we're splitting hairs, what is the difference in your view of this so called Performance Edition "tune" and a "tune from the get go", if such a thing even exist?
One thing must remain constant though... we're talking about the N55 engine.
Obviously, if they change the engine, they can claim any numbers they want. Agreed?
Here's the difference: Yes it is not surprising over the course of 5-10 years a sunroof became free.

BTW, BMW still charges for a sunroof on a brand new M3 sedan...

The N55 obviously already has a "tune". Has an ECU map for the turbo. The Performance Edition tune is either a piggyback, or a different map completely. Either way, it is changing the way the car came from the factory.

Frankly when you first mentioned the tune being "free" you made it sound like anyone with a 335i could just go into the dealer and have their engine re-mapped, for free. If that IS what you are implying, I completely disagree with that.

If what you ARE saying is the N55 will just start to come from the factory with 320hp instead of 300hp, I could possibly believe that. But it won't be because they are offering the Performance Tune for free. It's because that is how the ECU is now mapped from the factory.
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
PKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #80
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Here's the difference: Yes it is not surprising over the course of 5-10 years a sunroof became free.

BTW, BMW still charges for a sunroof on a brand new M3 sedan...

The N55 obviously already has a "tune". Has an ECU map for the turbo. The Performance Edition tune is either a piggyback, or a different map completely. Either way, it is changing the way the car came from the factory.

Frankly when you first mentioned the tune being "free" you made it sound like anyone with a 335i could just go into the dealer and have their engine re-mapped, for free. If that IS what you are implying, I completely disagree with that.

If what you ARE saying is the N55 will just start to come from the factory with 320hp instead of 300hp, I could possibly believe that. But it won't be because they are offering the Performance Tune for free. It's because that is how the ECU is now mapped from the factory.
In my hardware examples no one would walk into a dealership after they had purchased the car and ask for the item for free because it's now included in the new models. Just not a reasonable thing to even entertain. It's BMW who included the item for free in newer models as a way to stay competitive.
This "tune" is no different.

They can call it whatever they want, but that's what I'm talking about.
MPBK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #81
PKL
Colonel
 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 2,467
iTrader: (0)

Gotcha. And like I said they still have tha audacity to charge someone for a sunroof on an E90 M3
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
PKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #82
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Here's the difference: Yes it is not surprising over the course of 5-10 years a sunroof became free.

BTW, BMW still charges for a sunroof on a brand new M3 sedan...

The N55 obviously already has a "tune". Has an ECU map for the turbo. The Performance Edition tune is either a piggyback, or a different map completely. Either way, it is changing the way the car came from the factory.

Frankly when you first mentioned the tune being "free" you made it sound like anyone with a 335i could just go into the dealer and have their engine re-mapped, for free. If that IS what you are implying, I completely disagree with that.

If what you ARE saying is the N55 will just start to come from the factory with 320hp instead of 300hp, I could possibly believe that. But it won't be because they are offering the Performance Tune for free. It's because that is how the ECU is now mapped from the factory.
I agree. End of model cars ALWAYS have formally optional equipment as standard. The 335is is a 335 with the performance kit. They are using up parts before new model hits. Every manufacturer does it.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #83
PKL
Colonel
 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 2,467
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
The 335is is a 335 with the performance kit. They are using up parts before new model hits. Every manufacturer does it.
Not really. The 335i comes with the N55 engine and the 335is comes with the N54.

It's not just the same engine with a different tune.
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
PKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #84
BRAISKI
Colonel
 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada

Posts: 2,378
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Very good review, I am thinking about this...
BRAISKI is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #85
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Not really. The 335i comes with the N55 engine and the 335is comes with the N54.

It's not just the same engine with a different tune.
My 09 has N54 I believe and 335is is that engine with performance kit I believe....or am I incorrect? N55 is in 2011 335?
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #86
BRAISKI
Colonel
 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada

Posts: 2,378
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
My 09 has N54 I believe and 335is is that engine with performance kit I believe....or am I incorrect? N55 is in 2011 335?
The 335is has the N54 with updated SW (not sure if the boost is increased) and Performance Exhaust, along with the badges

The 2011 335s are N55
BRAISKI is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #87
111R
Second Lieutenant
 
111R's Avatar
 
Drives: Lotus
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

Perhaps once all of the 'early adopters' of this upgrade have been taken care of, BMW might offer it at a cheaper price. Look at computer hardware as an example. Once BMW has paid for the development costs, they might figure that it's good to get something for a 2nd wave of upgrades than nothing from customers that wouldn't pay the full amount.
__________________
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, dealer-installed PPK - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011
'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, 80k miles
'13 Audi A3 TDI (Ibis White) Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth - Wife's car - Delivery 9/12
111R is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #88
PKL
Colonel
 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 2,467
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
Perhaps once all of the 'early adopters' of this upgrade have been taken care of, BMW might offer it at a cheaper price. Look at computer hardware as an example. Once BMW has paid for the development costs, they might figure that it's good to get something for a 2nd wave of upgrades than nothing from customers that wouldn't pay the full amount.
Again, point to me an example in the past where BMW has said "now that the first 100 suckers paid way too much for this, we're going to start offering it to the rest of you at 40% off!"

Not.going.to.happen.
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
PKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST