E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Conti DWS



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Conti DWS

DryWetSnow. Has anyone tried these in the snow? Ist it a/s or ?
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
kol
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: (416/905)

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (47)

Garage List
E92 N54  [3.75]
they are ok with wet roads and melted snow....if there's a hint of ice, you are toast....and i'm pretty sure they will become pucks if it's colder than -10c
__________________
kol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
samchoi604
Colonel
 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

Posts: 2,316
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol View Post
they are ok with wet roads and melted snow....if there's a hint of ice, you are toast....and i'm pretty sure they will become pucks if it's colder than -10c
+1

I tried it once in soft snow. It was ok with a little bit of slippage. The worst was getting out of parking lots. DO NOT even try using all seasons in heavy snow, ice, or anything less than -5C. The DWS is probably slightly better than the average a/s but it can only do so much... Always get snow tires or stay home.
samchoi604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
slenfe
Private First Class
 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milton

Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)

I don't believe these DWS will be of any value to you for in Barrie, perhaps sacrificing performance for traction will be wise considering amount of snow you are get every year. Nokian Hakka seems to be the top winter tire.
slenfe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
XB101
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Western Canada

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Hakkas are great in snow but not so much in drier grounds? I guess it depends how they maintain the streets and if the snow/ice melt often in your area.
XB101 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
+1

I tried it once in soft snow. It was ok with a little bit of slippage. The worst was getting out of parking lots. DO NOT even try using all seasons in heavy snow, ice, or anything less than -5C. The DWS is probably slightly better than the average a/s but it can only do so much... Always get snow tires or stay home.
Thanks for the replies. According to Tirerack video they are way better than any other a/s (no season) tire. I'll stick to full winter tire. Want 19" and there arent many available. 18" package is more$ than 19" winter tires. I always mount snows on original wheels and get a set of BBS for summer.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
samchoi604
Colonel
 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

Posts: 2,316
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Thanks for the replies. According to Tirerack video they are way better than any other a/s (no season) tire. I'll stick to full winter tire. Want 19" and there arent many available. 18" package is more$ than 19" winter tires. I always mount snows on original wheels and get a set of BBS for summer.
I saw the tirerack videos and reviews too, so that's why I bought them. However, my real life experience: they can't compare with my snow tires (Continental ExtremeWinterContact). The DWS are good for the first day of snow and don't have time to change to snow tires. After a day when the snow hardens, the slipping becomes obvious. They are great tires but can't defy physics.
samchoi604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
I saw the tirerack videos and reviews too, so that's why I bought them. However, my real life experience: they can't compare with my snow tires (Continental ExtremeWinterContact). The DWS are good for the first day of snow and don't have time to change to snow tires. After a day when the snow hardens, the slipping becomes obvious. They are great tires but can't defy physics.
Thanks.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST