E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Good bay area tint shop?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
mr_milo
Captain
mr_milo's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Oh yeah, I guess tint magically falls off after a few years..

I got tint on my car for 4 year and it still looks fine. My previous car had tint for 7 years and it still looked like new when I sold it. (Both 3M tint)

Even if the shop went out of business. I can still afford replacing it 3x before it reaches the price range of Pinacle tint..
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Btw, how much do they charge for clear bra? I did it myself..
Wow since a warranty doesn't seem like a big deal to you, I am surprised you splurged on your tint. Why didn't you just do the tint yourself too?



I'm really sorry to all that I've let myself get so off topic with this. I guess I have a problem with people touting their frugalness upon others after a couple of people have already stated "To each, their own." With to all I promise to let this die here & now. Nothing more off topic from me on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
Inspired
Colonel
Inspired's Avatar
40
Rep
2,254
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Wow since a warranty doesn't seem like a big deal to you, I am surprised you splurged on your tint. Why didn't you just do the tint yourself too?



I'm really sorry to all that I've let myself get so off topic with this. I guess I have a problem with people touting their frugalness upon others after a couple of people have already stated "To each, their own." With to all I promise to let this die here & now. Nothing more off topic from me on this thread.
Maybe because tinting a window is harder than installing a pre-cut clear bra? You wouldn't know since you like bending over for a $400 tint job..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
sahyoun
Lieutenant
sahyoun's Avatar
Lebanon
16
Rep
511
Posts

 
Drives: E92 jb4 e85 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

I went to Pacific Stereo in redwood City and they did my side and rear windows for $200 with lifetime warranty and the tint looks great
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #26
mr_milo
Captain
mr_milo's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
I went to Pacific Stereo in redwood City and they did my side and rear windows for $200 with lifetime warranty and the tint looks great
What brand tint?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
mr_milo
Captain
mr_milo's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Sitting and watching my car being tinted now!

Matt @ Rocky Mountain is a Pro for sure. Saw a few cars he finished and they looked great. Can't wait to see mine when it's done.

It's going to kill me though, keeping the top & windows up for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
ZDDP1273
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Sitting and watching my car being tinted now!

Matt @ Rocky Mountain is a Pro for sure. Saw a few cars he finished and they looked great. Can't wait to see mine when it's done.

It's going to kill me though, keeping the top & windows up for a few days.
What brand/type of tint did you go with? And what percentages?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #29
mr_milo
Captain
mr_milo's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

I chose to go with Formula One Pinnacle tint with 50% sides and 40% rear.

This was the first car I have ever wanted to tint but it's also my first black car. The main reason I decided to tint was heat reduction, plus a bit for looks, although I'm extremely worried about getting a ticket. I drive by the local PD everyday and the motorcycle LEOs eat at the deli next door to my office. I therefore talked to Matt for a while and explained what I was trying to accomplish. In the end we agreed that 50% on the sides and 40% on the rear was the way to go.

My tint will most likely seem very light to most but I'm very happy. Hope to get pictures soon.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #30
sourphish
Major
United_States
23
Rep
1,477
Posts

 
Drives: '07 335i E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Emeryville, CA

iTrader: (20)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
I chose to go with Formula One Pinnacle tint with 50% sides and 40% rear.

This was the first car I have ever wanted to tint but it's also my first black car. The main reason I decided to tint was heat reduction, plus a bit for looks, although I'm extremely worried about getting a ticket. I drive by the local PD everyday and the motorcycle LEOs eat at the deli next door to my office. I therefore talked to Matt for a while and explained what I was trying to accomplish. In the end we agreed that 50% on the sides and 40% on the rear was the way to go.

My tint will most likely seem very light to most but I'm very happy. Hope to get pictures soon.

Hope this helps!
If you don't mind, how much was it for it? I only need to get my fronts re-tinted due to a tint ticket, so please post pics of your 50% when you can! Because I'm thinking about 50% too and hopefully it'll be just enough to get away with.
__________________
2007 E92 335i, 6MT, Sparking Graphite, ZPP, ZSP, Nav, Logic7
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #31
ZDDP1273
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

I'm also thinking about 50% all around but think it might also be too light. And I don't want to deal with getting pulled over by the police since I also don't run a front plate. If 50% is still pretty light and I could get away with it and not draw too much attention to myself I'd probably go with 50%. I'm thinking 35% might be too dark.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #32
mr_milo
Captain
mr_milo's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Hey Guys,

Here are a few shots of the car with the new tint (in need of a wash, sorry).
Again this is Formula One Pinnacle tint with 50% on the sides and 40% on the rear. I'm actually a bit surprised at how the pictures turned out, because it actually looks a good bit darker in person.

The shots were taken about 6:20pm with a soon to be setting sun and the sun was aimed directly at the driver's side of the car.

Hope this helps!









EDIT: Ok I just showed the post to my wife and she asked if those where the "before" shots of the car. It's not just me then, the pictures look a lot lighter than in person.

Last edited by mr_milo; 09-19-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #33
adobeee
Captain
adobeee's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
725
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Sitting and watching my car being tinted now!

Matt @ Rocky Mountain is a Pro for sure. Saw a few cars he finished and they looked great. Can't wait to see mine when it's done.

It's going to kill me though, keeping the top & windows up for a few days.
Great pics buddy. How much did you pay for everything? And how long did it take?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #34
mr_milo
Captain
mr_milo's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Thanks! I have to say I am loving the tint and the heat reduction it offers. Yesterday and Today would have been scorchers without the tint but the car is now a LOT cooler when getting in it at lunch and after work.

I'd say the tint job took about 3 hours. I got there about 2:30pm, talked to him for a bit and then he started. I was on the road home by 5:45pm, just in time to peak traffic.

By the way, Matt does all the tint by hand. It's all hand cut and fits the windows perfectly. Even looking at the top and side edges of the windows, the tint fits completely and perfectly. I saw a friends car that had computer cut tint and he had almost 1/8" of un-tinted window at the top edge. I thought to myself WTF is that. My friend said it didn't really matter but it does to me.

P.S. Check your PM....

Last edited by mr_milo; 09-20-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added: info
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #35
ZDDP1273
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Hey mr_milo, can you post up some pics in the shade as well. I want to see how dark the 50% looks in the shade. Don't want to get bugged by the cops. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #36
mr_milo
Captain
mr_milo's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

I'll try to get some more pictures this weekend. I wanted to redo them anyways since I think they look a bit lighter than in person. I'll make sure to get some shade picture too. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:11 AM   #37
rote
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Nice. I know what you mean. I got Johnson film 50% all around. Depending on the lighting and angle, some of my pics look lighter or darker. Plus you have a light interior.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
detail, tint

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST