E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Replacing the rear quarter panel?

09-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
HowFast
Private

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6Speed

Replacing the rear quarter panel?

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the passenger side rear quarter panel? I went up against a side rail while traveling in Montana and mine is all scratched and is dented in three spots.

Also, if you did replace yours where did you buy it and what was the cost of replacing it? I think the part on Getbmwparts.com is :

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Any opinions would be helpful...

EDIT: Also, if someone knows, my rocker panel is in perfect condition and does not need to be replaced. Will the old rocker panel need to be cut? If so, will that cause noise in the cabin while driving at high speeds? I want to get the full m-tech kit, so i would be replacing the side skirts anyway.

Thanks,
Matthew

Last edited by HowFast; 09-04-2011 at 09:02 PM.
      09-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
redfox
Virgin

Drives: Smurfmobile

dude, you can't replace the rear quarter yourself. This requires some major body shop work. Your car is unibody construction. Meaning the majority of the car is one solid unit. To replace the rear quarter, the original one needs to be cut out first and the new one welded back in. You are looking at around 8k of parts and labour at least at a reputable shop.
      09-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
bunnn
Colonel

Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
dude, you can't replace the rear quarter yourself. This requires some major body shop work. Your car is unibody construction. Meaning the majority of the car is one solid unit. To replace the rear quarter, the original one needs to be cut out first and the new one welded back in. You are looking at around 8k of parts and labour at least at a reputable shop.
+1 To add to this, you also need to paint match the surrounding pieces. Definitely not a good choice if it's just for a couple of scratches and dents.
      09-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Dr. G
Brigadier General

Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
Yeah I was going to do a rear widebody conversion, but the labour involved with the rear quarter panels is ridiculous... not 8k ridiculous... but definitely not worth it unless absolutely necessary.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
      09-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
MRQturbo
Captain

Drives: 91 MR2 turbo....07 335i...

Send a message via MSN to MRQturbo
how bad is the dent??...you can use dry ice to help pull them out...google it on you tube..it works...i have to try it myself once i get my hands on some dry ice...
      09-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
HowFast
Private

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will not be getting any work done til next season anyway. I also havent taken the car to a bodyshop, so I do not know if the quarter panel needs to be replaced. Bythe sounds of it, I really hope not. Tomorrow I will take some pictures so you can better understand the damages.

Thanks again,
Matthew

Last edited by HowFast; 09-09-2011 at 12:54 AM.
      09-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
HowFast
Private

http://imgur.com/a/v6hqh

There is the pictures of the damages, any insight on replacement appreciated. By the sound of it, it looks like I wont need to replace the Quarter Panel.

Matthew
      09-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
AspenWhite335
Private

Drives: BMW 335i AlpineWhite E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowFast View Post
http://imgur.com/a/v6hqh

There is the pictures of the damages, any insight on replacement appreciated. By the sound of it, it looks like I wont need to replace the Quarter Panel.

Matthew
Sad to see the damage from my view you should get a paintless dent repair guy to look at it first you would be surprised how good they are. Can't tell by the pics but if the paints chipped off then u need a paint job.
AspenWhite335 is offline   Canada
      09-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
HowFast
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenWhite335 View Post
Sad to see the damage from my view you should get a paintless dent repair guy to look at it first you would be surprised how good they are. Can't tell by the pics but if the paints chipped off then u need a paint job.
Yea the paint is definitely chipped. I think I will be going with an entirely new paint job also. I'm feeling either space grey again or sparkling graphite.