E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Lets talk camber :)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #23
Fraggy
Brigadier General
 
Fraggy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e90
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego

Posts: 3,303
iTrader: (11)

I will, thank you.
__________________
Step--Premium--Sport--Nav--20% Tint--Blacklines--18" Beyern Mesh--Michelin Super Sports--Bastuck Exhaust--M3 Steering Wheel--BMW Performance Springs--Koni--M3 Front/Rear Sways--
Fraggy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #24
taylors335
Major
 
taylors335's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: san diego

Posts: 1,180
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Ask for the most negative camber in the front. (wont be much).

Zero toe all around. As long as your toe is zero you will have virtually no uneven tire wear.

I would run about -1 in the rear personally.

I used to run -2 camber on my last car with zero toe and there was absolutely no uneven tire wear.
toe in the rear is what gives the car its foward bite , going negetive would be a bad idea !!! will handle like shit !
taylors335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
Fraggy
Brigadier General
 
Fraggy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e90
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego

Posts: 3,303
iTrader: (11)

So I looked and does appear that both pins are missing, or parially missing. Its hard to say as Ive not seen a 'proper' pin. I wonder when this happened and who did it?
__________________
Step--Premium--Sport--Nav--20% Tint--Blacklines--18" Beyern Mesh--Michelin Super Sports--Bastuck Exhaust--M3 Steering Wheel--BMW Performance Springs--Koni--M3 Front/Rear Sways--
Fraggy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #26
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
 
dbjb's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NorCal

Posts: 1,979
iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylors335 View Post
toe in the rear is what gives the car its foward bite , going negetive would be a bad idea !!! will handle like shit !
I think he meant negative in regards to camber, not toe. I hope so at least.
dbjb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #27
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
 
dbjb's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NorCal

Posts: 1,979
iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
So I looked and does appear that both pins are missing, or parially missing. Its hard to say as Ive not seen a 'proper' pin. I wonder when this happened and who did it?
Here it is. Looks like it takes an allen bit. Perhaps you can get replacements from Tischer. I just don't know if it's screwed in or not.



dbjb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #28
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
 
dbjb's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NorCal

Posts: 1,979
iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
It screws in.

Use the correct size wrench or socket next time. You are rounding off your 13mm top mount nuts.
That was the alignment shop that thought they could adjust camber. I'll replace them if need be.
dbjb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #29
Fraggy
Brigadier General
 
Fraggy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e90
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego

Posts: 3,303
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
It screws in.

Use the correct size wrench or socket next time. You are rounding off your 13mm top mount nuts.
Nope, nothing like that on mine.
__________________
Step--Premium--Sport--Nav--20% Tint--Blacklines--18" Beyern Mesh--Michelin Super Sports--Bastuck Exhaust--M3 Steering Wheel--BMW Performance Springs--Koni--M3 Front/Rear Sways--
Fraggy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
axis
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Steel Gray C 300
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 343
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
It screws in.
If the pins just screw in and out.. then I wonder why people tend to drill them out to remove them?
axis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #31
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,371
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
If the pins just screw in and out.. then I wonder why people tend to drill them out to remove them?

mine don't have that little allen head. The pins on mine are integral with the casting on the upper mount, so they have to be drilled out (it's super easy though). I have a 2006 E90 so maybe they are different depending on year and model.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #32
axis
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Steel Gray C 300
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 343
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
mine don't have that little allen head. The pins on mine are integral with the casting on the upper mount, so they have to be drilled out (it's super easy though). I have a 2006 E90 so maybe they are different depending on year and model.
Yeah 06 330 here, and mine were drilled out at some point too.
axis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #33
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,895
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Ok, I need to get an alignment as I\'ve recently changed out shocks. So I need to decide to stay with stock camber or ask for something more aggressive.

My questions are what are the benefits of more negative camber, what driving dynamics change, and what are negatives, such as uneven tire wear.

Also what differences are felt in straight line driving (freeway) and cornering, both positive and negative.

Thanks!!
Without camber plates, max your camer on the front, which shouldn't be more than -1 even on a lowered car. With that amount there is hardly any negatives unless all you do is freeway driving with no corners. With some negative camber the car is more likely to follow the irregular road surfaces a bit more, but you will not likely to notice it. The added handling benefits outweigh it - Better turn-in, quicker steering response and less understeer are just the few benefits of additional camber.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 09-25-2011 at 01:23 AM.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #34
Fraggy
Brigadier General
 
Fraggy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e90
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego

Posts: 3,303
iTrader: (11)

Thanks Harold, that gives me confidence to do it. What about -camber in the rear, any benefits.
__________________
Step--Premium--Sport--Nav--20% Tint--Blacklines--18" Beyern Mesh--Michelin Super Sports--Bastuck Exhaust--M3 Steering Wheel--BMW Performance Springs--Koni--M3 Front/Rear Sways--
Fraggy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #35
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,895
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Thanks Harold, that gives me confidence to do it. What about -camber in the rear, any benefits.
Unless you are tracking your car, the standard specs will be fine. Additional rear camber can aid getting the power to the ground if you would like to get on the power early(before straighten out your wheel) by keeping the outside rear tire more square to the road.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #36
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Without camber plates, max your camer on the front, which shouldn't be more than -1 even on a lowered car. With that amount there is hardly any negatives unless all you do is freeway driving with no corners. With some negative camber the car is more likely to follow the irregular road surfaces a bit more, but you will not likely to notice it. The added handling benefits outweigh it - Better turn-in, quicker steering response and less understeer are just the few benefits of additional camber.
I dont recall you ever mentioning this when we spoke about camber plates..so assuming I dont drive much on the freeway what is the max camber I can go in the front..w/o totally wasting the tires and experiencing tramline..
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #37
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,895
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I dont recall you ever mentioning this when we spoke about camber plates..so assuming I dont drive much on the freeway what is the max camber I can go in the front..w/o totally wasting the tires and experiencing tramline..
There are many variables...Road conditions, tire design, alignment settings and so on.

Tires(low profile, stiff sidewall, high performance tires) have the most direct influence on tramlining so will worn out(camber plates in this case will help you) suspension components. Camber settings of -1 to -1.5 will be fine, you may not even feel the tramlining.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #38
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
There are many variables...Road conditions, tire design, alignment settings and so on.

Tires(low profile, stiff sidewall, high performance tires) have the most direct influence on tramlining so will worn out(camber plates in this case will help you) suspension components. Camber settings of -1 to -1.5 will be fine, you may not even feel the tramlining.
Cool thx..so can i assume if I go beyond -1.5 I could increase the chance for tramline..i honestly wanted to run -2..WDYT?
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #39
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,895
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Cool thx..so can i assume if I go beyond -1.5 I could increase the chance for tramline..i honestly wanted to run -2..WDYT?
Your tires will still have more to do with tramline...but at -2 you are increasing the tramline affect from alignment.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #40
ianbiz
4th E90
 
ianbiz's Avatar
 
Drives: German
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne/Orlando, Florida

Posts: 5,136
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
How much camber are you guys running in the rear lowered? The Guy that did my buddy's car said it wouldn't come in less than 2d
__________________
Ian
06 325 06 330 06 330 07 335 11 335 Msport
ianbiz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #41
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal

Posts: 4,645
iTrader: (0)

I duno about you guys but I run extra camber to avoid rubbing and to compensate for road crown
#Tee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #42
DaFish
2008 335i E92, Almost full mods
 
Drives: 2008 335i E92, Procede V5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 1,054
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [3.00]
if you get rid of the run flats, you have to increase the front neg camber or the softer non rft tires will roll over on you with hard cornering.

I have the Dinan camber plates AND the M3 wishbones. I am not seeing ANY front inside tire wear after pile of mileage.

The turn in is WAY nicer and the car grips with the non rfts so nicely and progressively.

I recommend this for sure.
__________________
2008 335i E92 Black, Procede Rev 2.5 (11-1 map), BMS DCI, AR Catless DPs, AMS FMIC, Procede PWM Meth, Forge DVs, CDV delete, 230s w/ 235/265 Michelin PSS, Dinan S3 susp w/ front/rear M3 arms (4), Wavetrac LSD, Subframe bushings, Dinan Rear Sway, Rogue toe arms, Stoptech Slotted rotors, Stoptech Street pads w/ steel lines
DaFish is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST