E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Changing The Manual Trans Fluid In The 335



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #45
mirbahabmw
New Member
mirbahabmw's Avatar
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

can someone please let me know with certainty what REDLINE fluid (D4 ATF or D6 ATF) do I put into my 2009 328xi 6MT??? I really really need to know this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #46
Analog
Captain
Analog's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: 12 F10 535 xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (20)

I have 06 330, is the Redline D4 okay for my car as well? and is the procedure same as 335? thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #47
BKV122
Major
BKV122's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,108
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
I put Redline D6ATF into my MT. If you read redline's website about our car i think the D4 is a older type and D6 replaced it, so both would do fine. But double check redline's site
__________________

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #48
AlanAZ
Captain
AlanAZ's Avatar
15
Rep
810
Posts

Drives: E90 325i sport manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
can someone please let me know with certainty what REDLINE fluid (D4 ATF or D6 ATF) do I put into my 2009 328xi 6MT??? I really really need to know this. Thanks.
With certainty, it is D6 ATF, for all E90s.

I spoke with Redline's Tech Support as I was having a shifting problem and there was conflicting information on their website. However, D4 is only 10% more viscous, not much difference, and for a few situations (very hot climate, race track use) may be more appropriate.

Update: now that I've experienced a couple 100F days, D4 was the right choice for me. Shifting is perfect, and I would not want to be running any thinner than this.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 05-11-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #49
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
73
Rep
2,600
Posts

Drives: Carless
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (12)

Will be doing that in a month. Has anyone tried using Pentosin fluid?
__________________
-fatman

Last edited by bumere90; 03-18-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #50
Analog
Captain
Analog's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: 12 F10 535 xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (20)

sorry for the noob question. How do i pump the fluid into the fill hole? assume I use the Redline (not the RP bottle). what kinda pump do i need? thanks a bunch
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #51
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
73
Rep
2,600
Posts

Drives: Carless
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (12)

walmart has universal pumps for 5 bucks
__________________
-fatman
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #52
Analog
Captain
Analog's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: 12 F10 535 xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (20)

Just did the transmission fluid change tonight. (used Redline D6) N to 1st, and 1st to 2nd require much less effort than before. thanks for this DIY!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #53
AlanAZ
Captain
AlanAZ's Avatar
15
Rep
810
Posts

Drives: E90 325i sport manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (4)

I wish I had seen this earlier (before I tried Sychromax),

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html

according to RP's website, Synchromax is compatible with MTF-LT-1, but not MTF-LT-2 & 3, which is what E90 transmissions use.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 09-22-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #54
LocDawgg
Captain
17
Rep
924
Posts

Drives: AW e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (5)

im assuming you would screw back in the drain plug before pumping new fluid in via fill-plug LOL i didnt see it in the DIY
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #55
witeagle
Private First Class
3
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 08 BMW 335i Coupe * 10 BMW X3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
im assuming you would screw back in the drain plug before pumping new fluid in via fill-plug LOL i didnt see it in the DIY
It's there:

"Once it's drained enough then put the plug back in and tighten it."
__________________
'08 335i Coupe / 6MT / Sport / Premium / Nav / Cold Weather Pkg / Space Gray / Black Dakota Leather & Aluminum Trim
'10 X3 SAV / Premium / Nav / Cold Weather Pkg / Alpine White / Sand Biege Nevada Leather / SAV Pkg
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #56
DaanBMW
Lieutenant
DaanBMW's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
457
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
I wish I had seen this earlier (before I tried Sychromax),

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html

according to RP's website, Synchromax is compatible with MTF-LT-1, but not MTF-LT-2 & 3, which is what E90 transmissions use.
Sooo... what do you meand by this exactly ? Above I think I read D4 ATF is the proper oil for e9x manual trannys. The list you point to on RP's site indicate non-ATF fluids: Max-Gear or Synchromax.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #57
AlanAZ
Captain
AlanAZ's Avatar
15
Rep
810
Posts

Drives: E90 325i sport manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (4)

The list I point to is RP's Cross Reference Chart for Manual Transmissions. They do not list an oil (ATF or not), that can replace the oil (MTF-LT-2 or 3) used in our gearboxes.

RedLine recommends D6 ATF for use our gearboxes (for most applications.)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #58
JoosyJoos
Major
JoosyJoos's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
1,309
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Does anyone know if the drain plug uses an O-ring or a washer? I don't wanna risk replacing the fluid and having it seep around a crush washer. I would assume I could reuse an O-ring without problems.

feedback...?
__________________


1995 M3 Coupe - HPDE/Track Prepped - For Sale
1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared Race Car
2011 335d - Das Uber Commuter (35.1MPG Avg)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #59
AlanAZ
Captain
AlanAZ's Avatar
15
Rep
810
Posts

Drives: E90 325i sport manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Does anyone know if the drain plug uses an O-ring or a washer? I don't wanna risk replacing the fluid and having it seep around a crush washer.
No crush washer, the drain and fill plugs (same plug) have a built-in o-ring. I replaced my drain plug both times I changed the fluid. You may want to consider a magnetic plug to help keep particles out of the fluid. Gold plug makes them. Turner or Bavauto may have them also.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #60
LocDawgg
Captain
17
Rep
924
Posts

Drives: AW e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (5)

Where is the drain plug located as oppose to the fill plug
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #61
iverson3yoo
If you ain't first you're last
iverson3yoo's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
485
Posts

Drives: Montego Blue e92
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (1)

Changed my trans fluid today. Followed this DIY to the letter. Real easy. Get a pump from advance auto parts for $8
__________________
l
e92 montego blue l UR catless DPs l Injen DCI l Benchmade Proper custom exhaust l UR chargepipe/HKS BOV l AA race FMIC l JB4 l ACT HD street clutch kit l B&M ssk l
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514093
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #62
left123
Second Lieutenant
left123's Avatar
24
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: TiAg 330i 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 757

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 bmw 330i  [5.00]
This DYI worked great for my 06 e90 330i. The only addition is I removed an additional bracket adjacent to the bracket mentioned in this procedure. Very simple, just a socket (14mm I believe).

I used Redline MTL per Mike Miller's "old school maintenance" write-up.

Also, I used a Pittsburgh Automotive pump here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pittsburgh-Aut.../dp/B006ZB8PDM

Worked flawlessly.
__________________
'06 e90 330i || TiAg || SQ 8.5'' 162's || 6MT ||BMW PS V2 || zHP shifter || redline oils || BMWCCA Member #474774
DIY Completed:Engine Coolant Flush+Battery Replacement (no registration!)+Rear Diff Fl +Manual Trans Fl+Engine Oil Change+Front Control Arm/Tension Strut upgrade (my DIY Guide)+Power Steering Flush+Ignition Coil+OFHG+Spark Plugs
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #63
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
cbad335's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,735
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Just did this, along with diff fluid. A little messy but that was my fault, hahaha. Certainly saved a few hundy doing it myself. I went with OEM fluids and had the dealer fill some bottles from their drums. I also used one of those transfer pumps, which I purchased from Harbor Freight. My '09 only had 4600k on it when I obtained it but had sat for most of the last 3.5 years. I wanted to do a late, "break-in" fluid change. Fluids were pretty mirky looking, especially the diff, so I'm glad I did it. Will do again in 30k.
__________________

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #64
S62PWR
BMW CCA# 90345
United_States
2
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 08 335i Cpe 6 speed
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Indio and San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Smile Red Line MTL

Just bought an '08 335i Coupe w/ 33K miles. Hated the way it shifted, my 13th BMW with a manual gearbox, including 4 ///M cars. I swapped the FF Magic Permanent Gear Oil for Redline MTL today (like I do w ALL my BMW's) and viola! So much better, particularly when up to tempature. I was considering selling the car I really disliked how it shifted relative to my E36 ///M3. My ///M3 has 93K miles on the odo and has had 3 gear oil changes with Red Line, many track days and shifts like a dream. Anyway, short shift kit arrived today from Turner, so it should get even better next week. The final act will be replacing the Clutch Delay Valve w/ a modified one. Searching for that DIY next! BTW, my tranny had the blue MTL-LL3 tag on the side which read "Do Not Change Gear Oil". Sorry, eat me. The fill plugs seemed like they shouldn't be reused really. I'll watch if it leaks and I'll purchase a new set the next change at 60K. Seems like it should be magnetic to collect metal bits, no? Used fluid didn't look bad to me, just really didn't care for the feel. Some may wonder why I used RL MTL when the spec calls for D4 or D6-ATF. Frankly, the differences are slight when you're talking about Red Line, which is some of the greatest stuff out there. I think the ATF is a bit more slippery/easy to shift when cold. I just like the feel of the MTL better. There are no worries about wear with either product from RL. I've also used the RP Sychromesh. Its really slick, maybe a little too slick for me. Anyway, my 25 years experience points me to Red Line MTL every 30K, more often if I track the car.

Last edited by S62PWR; 01-16-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #65
axeswingingflannelwearer
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi Black on Black
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #66
DaanBMW
Lieutenant
DaanBMW's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
457
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S62PWR View Post
Just bought an '08 335i Coupe w/ 33K miles. Hated the way it shifted, my 13th BMW with a manual gearbox, including 4 ///M cars. I swapped the FF Magic Permanent Gear Oil for Redline MTL today (like I do w ALL my BMW's) and viola! So much better, particularly when up to tempature. I was considering selling the car I really disliked how it shifted relative to my E36 ///M3. My ///M3 has 93K miles on the odo and has had 3 gear oil changes with Red Line, many track days and shifts like a dream. Anyway, short shift kit arrived today from Turner, so it should get even better next week. The final act will be replacing the Clutch Delay Valve w/ a modified one. Searching for that DIY next! BTW, my tranny had the blue MTL-LL3 tag on the side which read "Do Not Change Gear Oil". Sorry, eat me. The fill plugs seemed like they shouldn't be reused really. I'll watch if it leaks and I'll purchase a new set the next change at 60K. Seems like it should be magnetic to collect metal bits, no? Used fluid didn't look bad to me, just really didn't care for the feel. Some may wonder why I used RL MTL when the spec calls for D4 or D6-ATF. Frankly, the differences are slight when you're talking about Red Line, which is some of the greatest stuff out there. I think the ATF is a bit more slippery/easy to shift when cold. I just like the feel of the MTL better. There are no worries about wear with either product from RL. I've also used the RP Sychromesh. Its really slick, maybe a little too slick for me. Anyway, my 25 years experience points me to Red Line MTL every 30K, more often if I track the car.
Are you still happy with the MTL in your tranny ? Still trying to figure out if I'll go D4 ATF or D6 ATF or MTL...
__________________
328i Sports Pkg, Michelin PSS on Staggered 18" OZ Ultraleggeras
. BMS Powerbox. Cyba scoops + charcoal delete. Wavetrac LSD
. M3: subframe bushings + sways + control arms. Meyle rear toe arms. M3 diff fr bushings
. BMW Perf: springs + v1 dampers
. Short Shifter + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST