E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering Wheel Vibration Solved!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
215
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Charleston,SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Steering Wheel Vibration Solved!

I've been having a steering wheel vibration for a few months and it started when I got a new set of runflats. I went from Bridgestone to Michelin and when my speed reached between 42-52 mph, there was a definite slight shimmy in the steering wheel. Also, the vibration appeared to be more apparent when the tires were cold.
Had the tires road force balanced
checked the rims for balance
Actually replaced one rim because it was bent, helped the situation, but didn't solve it.
Had Michelin replace the two front tires (no charge), still no change.
Finally, a BMW tech replaced the Thrust Arms and Bushings and now she drives tight as can be. Just thought I'd pass that on
__________________
e92/Black Sapphire/Coral Red/Aluminium Trim and Pedals/Sport/Luxury/Nav/Keyless/Ipod Adapter/6MT/Sirius/Turbo Tuner
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
Syndicategt's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
3,732
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (11)

Congrats you got it solved. I'm getting some vibration above 65mph, balanced tires helped but I'm thinking of replacing the control arm and bushings with M3 bits.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
MicaCeli
Private First Class
Ukraine
2
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Frederick, MD

iTrader: (0)

Thrust arms I get...which bushings were replaced?

Edit: actualy do the new thrust arms come with the bushings? The bushings alone are 80 dollars and the whole arm is 90 dollars. We've been trying to figure out the vibration at speed on the pass side. We did the same as you, wheels/tires alignment but it still vibrates.

Also for that price I might just go with the M3 bits.

Last edited by MicaCeli; 09-20-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
fefo25
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Where can I buy the.thrust arms and bushings?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
335okc
Captain
335okc's Avatar
10
Rep
654
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: okc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicaCeli View Post
Thrust arms I get...which bushings were replaced?

Edit: actualy do the new thrust arms come with the bushings? The bushings alone are 80 dollars and the whole arm is 90 dollars. We've been trying to figure out the vibration at speed on the pass side. We did the same as you, wheels/tires alignment but it still vibrates.

Also for that price I might just go with the M3 bits.
Congrats op! Ive been battling mine for a while now...

Thrust arm = front control arm? I'm not sure it comes with bushing like they sell the m3 kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
leebermeister
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Is the Thrust Arm the upper arm? Part # 31 12 6 769 797?

Last edited by leebermeister; 09-21-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
MicaCeli
Private First Class
Ukraine
2
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Frederick, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
Congrats op! Ive been battling mine for a while now...

Thrust arm = front control arm? I'm not sure it comes with bushing like they sell the m3 kit.


09 Tension strut with hydraulic mount, left 1 31126769797 $122.04
09 Tension strut with hydraulic mount,right 1 31126769798 $122.04

10 Set rubber mounting f pull rod 1 05/2011 31120393540 $98.93
10 Hydrobearing 2 31126763719


You could get these (stock but with Rubber Bushings)

http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=175

Or the M3 ones

http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=175
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
BLKLYZ
Colonel
BLKLYZ's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
2,497
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 AW
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: FT. Bragg, NC.

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicaCeli View Post


09 Tension strut with hydraulic mount, left 1 31126769797 $122.04
09 Tension strut with hydraulic mount,right 1 31126769798 $122.04

10 Set rubber mounting f pull rod 1 05/2011 31120393540 $98.93
10 Hydrobearing 2 31126763719


You could get these (stock but with Rubber Bushings)

http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=175

Or the M3 ones

http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=175
I may have to pick up a set!
__________________
OSS AE's/LCI Tails/R1 Concepts C/D Rotors/ER CP/UR CAI/Vossen CV3's/H&R Sports/Koni Yellows/M3 bits
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
fefo25
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I just had my front end check and everything seemed solid. I was told to get the tires road forced to fix the shaking. Has anyone heard about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
martinezjames
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 325i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: conroe,tx

iTrader: (0)

id get an alignment after balancing the tires and try to diagnose the car for worn suspension components by reading the alignment angles. a good alignment specialist could have saved you time. good to hear you fixed the problem though.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
215
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Charleston,SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Congrats you got it solved. I'm getting some vibration above 65mph, balanced tires helped but I'm thinking of replacing the control arm and bushings with M3 bits.
I had my car in twice before BMW replaced the control arms and bushings. They may have checked them but they didn't look damaged. There was some info on their system that lead them to change the arms and bushings. Glad they did 'cause I was beginning to lose the love for my car!
__________________
e92/Black Sapphire/Coral Red/Aluminium Trim and Pedals/Sport/Luxury/Nav/Keyless/Ipod Adapter/6MT/Sirius/Turbo Tuner
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
215
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Charleston,SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fefo25 View Post
I just had my front end check and everything seemed solid. I was told to get the tires road forced to fix the shaking. Has anyone heard about this?
Road Force Balancing is the way to go. It does make a difference.
__________________
e92/Black Sapphire/Coral Red/Aluminium Trim and Pedals/Sport/Luxury/Nav/Keyless/Ipod Adapter/6MT/Sirius/Turbo Tuner
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
fefo25
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbim View Post
Road Force Balancing is the way to go. It does make a difference.
Thats what I keep hearing, getting it done on friday.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
info@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
info@VMRWheels's Avatar
5
Rep
213
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (0)

OP - Glad you figured out what the issue was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbim View Post
Road Force Balancing is the way to go. It does make a difference.
Definitely. That's why we Road Force all our wheel and tire packages!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
420
Rep
11,447
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefo25 View Post
Where can I buy the.thrust arms and bushings?
Have a look at these thrust arms with HD bushings:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=175

Or just the thrust arm HD bushings only:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=175

The althernative would be the M3 thrust arms, even higher durometer bushings.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #16
fefo25
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Have a look at these thrust arms with HD bushings:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=175

Or just the thrust arm HD bushings only:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=175

The althernative would be the M3 thrust arms, even higher durometer bushings.
Do they fit the XI?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
asus389
Lieutenant
asus389's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
491
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Were your front tires wearing funny before your fixed this?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #18
335okc
Captain
335okc's Avatar
10
Rep
654
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: okc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post

Or just the thrust arm HD bushings only:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=175
How hard is it to press the old one out and the new back in? I think my bushing is slightly worn, but the price is irresistable
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
5
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW 335D
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to 335iPSI
[quote=fefo25;10474809][quote=HP Autowerks;10474263]Have a look at these thrust arms with HD bushings:

[url]http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?productId=305
__________________
2011 335d, M-sport, Alpine White, Nav
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #20
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
420
Rep
11,447
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefo25 View Post
Do they fit the XI?
No, they don't. Just the RWD version at this time.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #21
fefo25
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
No, they don't. Just the RWD version at this time.
Seems like I cant get anything for the Xi suspension!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
CDNBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
2
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i & 09 BMW 128i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbim View Post
I had my car in twice before BMW replaced the control arms and bushings. They may have checked them but they didn't look damaged. There was some info on their system that lead them to change the arms and bushings. Glad they did 'cause I was beginning to lose the love for my car!
I am experiencing the very same frustration! I have new wheels and tires roadforce balanced, and the front end has been check twice now, with each mechanic claiming this cannot be the problem.

I really am loosing my desire for the car with this annoying trait. Any suggestions or should I tell them to replace them regardless of what the mechanics think?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
steering wheel vibration

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST