E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help with an unknown problem.

09-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Bigshot64

Drives: 2007 335i

Help with an unknown problem.

I'm not sure where to post this but here goes. I have a 2007 335i sedan. When the car comes to a complete stop, I can turn the wheel with no problems. However when the car is barely moving (maybe 1mph) I'm getting heavy vibration in the steering wheel. It feels like something is up with the power steering. Does anyone know anything about this?

The vibration goes away as soon as the car gets to 2-3 mph and from that point on, everything is good. It is also good to go when the car is sitting still.

Any help will be appreciated guys. Thanks.
      09-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

Drives: 06 330i

could be a few things.

do you have an option called "active steering", maybe it has gone nuts.

when you talk about it happening at 1mph, are you on the brake pedal or partially on it?

if you were to put it in first gear, let it idle, and ride the parking brake a bit to slow you down to 1mph, would the steering wheel still vibrate?

some of these cars sort of have an issue as you release the brakes pulling away, the car lurches.

also could be suspension related.

09-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel

Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
I have the same exact issue. Posted it a few times but got no help from the forum whatsoever....I'm still trying to figure it out. Although initially when I found that my lowering perches were loose and tightened the driverside, it's now 80-90% better.....

I have ACTIVE STEERING, and the noise only appears on the driver side it seems.....weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot64 View Post
I'm not sure where to post this but here goes. I have a 2007 335i sedan. When the car comes to a complete stop, I can turn the wheel with no problems. However when the car is barely moving (maybe 1mph) I'm getting heavy vibration in the steering wheel. It feels like something is up with the power steering. Does anyone know anything about this?

The vibration goes away as soon as the car gets to 2-3 mph and from that point on, everything is good. It is also good to go when the car is sitting still.

Any help will be appreciated guys. Thanks.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States