E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Adaptive headlight test

10-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Freak Beast

Adaptive headlight test

I suspect it is a physical problem with my driver's side headlamp. It is turned to the right and does level up and down with bumps, but not side to side and never returns to center.

I do recal hitting a rather dangerous ridge on 202 (for anyone near West Chester) Thank you PENNDOT and Obama. Since then I had a few things go wrong, but all other things have since been addressed.

My question is.....Is there a way to test the functions or reset this headlight either thru INPA or some other way? Or does anyone have a suggestion as to what may be messed up? Car is clean, no error codes or anything.

Thanks!
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
      10-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Bender1012
Private

Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Have you tried physically adjusting the angle using the adjustment screw? I know this won't fix the adaptive feature but at least you can get them to point straight. You can also try going into the back of the assembly itself and just poke around. I replaced my bulbs recently, and the whole setup is surprisingly easy to move around while you're in there.
Bender1012 is offline   United_States
      10-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
I would like to know as well. My SMC II module blew out and I'll be coding a new one (used) in tomorrow and would like to run a diag on it.

Anyway, a common problem with the adaptive headlights is that the stepper motor ball joints get knocked out of place from hitting really bad potholes.

You can open the back cover and pop it back on but it's a bit difficult. I haven't done it myself but I read that someone had to turn the adjustment screw all the way to one side to bring the socket close enough to the ball joint to reconnect it.

I tried experimenting on a spare set of xenons I had but the stepper motor shaft is pretty much locked in place when no power is applied to it. So I couldn't get the socket close enough to the ball to reconnect. I didn't really try all that hard but just from playing around with it, I can tell you it will be a pain.

Good luck.

Also if you would like pictures of the inside of the housings, I have a few I can post up.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      10-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Guys thank you for the awesome info. If you have pics that would be great and possibly which screws are the adjustment ones for the ball joints. Im sure it just popped out from what I hit since they worked fine up until that exact moment.

Thanks!
      10-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Your responses here may help

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...+stepper+motor

Thanks man
      10-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
I posted up a little info on the SMC II swap in the cosmetic/lighting section today.

Do have an adaptive error? Or the adaptive lights just don't work?

Also in my bav tool, I found options for high beams an dipped beam activations. But I did not did any for adaptive.

Luckily, the used module was plug and play for me.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      10-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I posted up a little info on the SMC II swap in the cosmetic/lighting section today.

Do have an adaptive error? Or the adaptive lights just don't work?

Also in my bav tool, I found options for high beams an dipped beam activations. But I did not did any for adaptive.

Luckily, the used module was plug and play for me.
No I have no errors whatsoever. I suspect it is physically disconnected somehow from hitting the roadwork ledge. I have no error codes stored or any lights on dash.

When I turn the car on and have the lights in auto they both raise up, but only the passenger side swings side to side and returns to center.

This weekend I am going to take the back of the light off and see if the Stepper Motor ball joint thing is just popped out. The light still levels up and down on hills and stuff, it is just stuck aiming to the passenger side.

I'll check for your thread. Thanks man