E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What Does This Mean? Puma Case?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
BayMoWe335
Major
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

Posts: 1,378
iTrader: (0)

What Does This Mean? Puma Case?

Had the 10E-A02 recall done and they replaced the fuel pump with the 446. Then, when they updated the software, there is this message on my paperwork (My car was at the dealership 3 days and my SA gave me updates along the way):

PROGRAM CONTROL UNITS. INCLUDING CAS PER BMWS INSTRUCTIONS. ON FIRST PROGRAMMING SESSION JBE FAILED TO PROGRAM. PER SIB 610611 STARTED PUMA CASE. LOADED VO AND INTEGRATIION LEVEL AND ATTEMPTED TO PERFORM JBE RECOVERY USING ISSS. JBE RECOVERY FAILED. PER PUMA, REPLACED JBE. STARTED THIRD ISSS SESSION AND CODED NEW JBE TO VEHICLE AND UPDATE SOFTWARE WITHOUT CAS. INTEGRATION LEVEL FAILED TO UPDATE. STARTED FOURTH ISSS SESSION AND SUCCESSFULLY CODED VEHICLE AND UPDATED INTEGRATION LEVEL.

They replaced part # 61359247476

Can anyone tell me in English what actually happened? SA told me there was a bad module in the computer or whatever and they had to replace it. Not sure how something like this breaks randomly?

Anyway, car stayed 2 extra days because of this and was slightly irritating. Not to mention they had to reflash my Dinan S2.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 10-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.
BayMoWe335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
E30M3Driver
Captain
 
E30M3Driver's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335is, 89 M3, 12 Wrangler
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Here, there

Posts: 777
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.00]
1989 BMW M3  [4.10]
Your car's computer (DME) failed to update to the new software level when initially tried. The tech then followed the documented troubleshooting process when that happens - SI 61-06-11 to reinitiate the DME. To do that, he had to go into the PUMA system and download your original vehicle order information (VO) and software integration level and then upload it to your car and try again (basically a reboot with your core data). That also failed. He then replaced the JBE - Junction Box Electronics module as that was determined to be the cause of failure and had to try twice more to get the software to load.

Since they updated the software, that overwrote the Dinan software so it had to be reloaded as well.

Pretty standard stuff except for the JBE replacement - looks like there might be some issues with that part depending on model year.
__________________


Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
E30M3Driver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
BayMoWe335
Major
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

Posts: 1,378
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Driver View Post
Your car's computer (DME) failed to update to the new software level when initially tried. The tech then followed the documented troubleshooting process when that happens - SI 61-06-11 to reinitiate the DME. To do that, he had to go into the PUMA system and download your original vehicle order information (VO) and software integration level and then upload it to your car and try again (basically a reboot with your core data). That also failed. He then replaced the JBE - Junction Box Electronics module as that was determined to be the cause of failure and had to try twice more to get the software to load.

Since they updated the software, that overwrote the Dinan software so it had to be reloaded as well.

Pretty standard stuff except for the JBE replacement - looks like there might be some issues with that part depending on model year.
Man, that was really helpful, thanks. Why in the world did they have to replace the JBE? How does that even go bad? Car has 11,000 miles and is a 2010.
BayMoWe335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
LagMode335i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TN

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

I think it also means they'll have a regional service engineer investigate your car's status. My car went thru a couple of those; all the issues were the same-old same-old stuff.
LagMode335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
E30M3Driver
Captain
 
E30M3Driver's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335is, 89 M3, 12 Wrangler
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Here, there

Posts: 777
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.00]
1989 BMW M3  [4.10]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Man, that was really helpful, thanks. Why in the world did they have to replace the JBE? How does that even go bad? Car has 11,000 miles and is a 2010.
I am speculating that there is a potential issue with the JBE based on the SI bulletin being recent and specifically addressing the problem the tech had. Also because for certain model years, replacement requires opening a Puma case, not just a diagnostic code which means they are collecting failure data.

The JBE is like any other piece of electronics on the car - they can and do fail. I suppose there could also be a problem with the software update process that is causing the module to fail as well.
__________________


Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
E30M3Driver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
BayMoWe335
Major
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

Posts: 1,378
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Driver View Post
I am speculating that there is a potential issue with the JBE based on the SI bulletin being recent and specifically addressing the problem the tech had. Also because for certain model years, replacement requires opening a Puma case, not just a diagnostic code which means they are collecting failure data.

The JBE is like any other piece of electronics on the car - they can and do fail. I suppose there could also be a problem with the software update process that is causing the module to fail as well.
Cool, thanks for the input. It just seemed odd he tried 4 times to do a simple software update. I guess it's more complex than I thought.
BayMoWe335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST