E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Dyno Results



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
neovb
Private
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 79
iTrader: (1)

Dyno Results

I had my car dynoed earlier this week (Saturday the 22nd) at Moore's Automotive in Fairfax, VA. The car put down good horsepower numbers, however the technicians there were not able to get a torque reading as they could not pull an RPM signal. Three runs were conducted using a DynoJet dynamometer. All readings were done in 4th gear. Mods to the car are JBD set at 100% and intake with heat shield.

Run 1: 319.27 WHP
Run 2: 328.27 WHP
Run 3: 328.61 WHP

In order to get a torque reading, I took the car today to Mach V motorsports in Sterling, VA. They use the same DynoJet however they were able to pull a RPM signal from the ECU. We ran the car in both 5th and 4th gear, same car mods aside from one run done with the JBD set a 0%.

5th gear:

Run 1: 296.88 WHP, 474.31 WTQ
Run 2: 299.58 WHP, 468.57 WTQ
Run 3: 299.01 WHP, 465.29 WTQ

4th gear:

Run 1: 300.17 WHP, 445.08 WTQ
Run 2: 301.51 WHP, 442.44 WTQ
Run 3: 267.16 WHP, 415.57 WTQ (JBD set to 0%)

Ignoring the 5th gear runs (comparing directly to the 4th gear runs at Moore's Automotive), there was a ~28 WHP difference. I'm not sure why there is such a big difference, and its not clear which reading was the most accurate. Since the results were measured on the same machines, Mach V generally attributed the horsepower difference to the car itself (i.e. ECU adjusting fuel/timing differently today than on the previous run).

However, I can say that I'm pretty happy with a wheel torque of 474 ft/lb. It is interesting to note that the car makes substantially more torque in 5th gear vs. 4th gear - this being attributed to more engine load in the higher gear.

I dont have a scanner, so I cant upload the printouts. I'll try to get them scanned in soon so that you guys could actually see the HP/TQ curves.
neovb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
 
maswastage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW 335d
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (0)

These are some of the highest whp numbers I've seen on a D, both with JBD and without (your 267whp with JBD set to 0% is pretty spectacular). How much of that do you attribute to your custom intake?
maswastage is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
MrPig
Major
 
MrPig's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [5.00]
These numbers please me. How's your fuel economy with your mods compared to bone stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
These are some of the highest whp numbers I've seen on a D, both with JBD and without (your 267whp with JBD set to 0% is pretty spectacular). How much of that do you attribute to your custom intake?
Diesel Power Magazine dyno'd an 09 335d at 258 WHP using an unnamed dyno.
__________________
MrPig is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
 
maswastage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW 335d
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
Diesel Power Magazine dyno'd an 09 335d at 258 WHP using an unnamed dyno.
Right, but they used a hub dyno, which isn't a true WHP number. And in any case, 258 is still less than 267 Don't get me wrong, their number was impressive as well because they dyno'd their car in the scorching desert heat after it had been driven for several hundred miles and was thoroughly heat soaked. But the OP's stock 267 is very, very impressive indeed.
maswastage is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
MrPig
Major
 
MrPig's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Right, but they used a hub dyno, which isn't a true WHP number. And in any case, 258 is still less than 267 Don't get me wrong, their number was impressive as well because they dyno'd their car in the scorching desert heat after it had been driven for several hundred miles and was thoroughly heat soaked. But the OP's stock 267 is very, very impressive indeed.
I know. Was merely making a point that our cars are awesome :P

Now please, BMW. Give me a 320/330dT in a 6MT config. kkthxbai.
__________________
MrPig is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Ron1n
Speed Demon
 
Ron1n's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 335d E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The 858

Posts: 3,248
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
Stock, my car pulled 245hp, just FYI. No torque number, as the dyno we used didn't have the capability.
__________________
Ron1n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
neovb
Private
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 79
iTrader: (1)

Unfortunately, its hard to tell if the intake has any effect on dyno numbers. The best thing to have done would have been to re-install the factory intake box, but my dyno time was limited. Regardless of whether any gains are to be had, I can guarantee you that the car sounds 100x better with the intake - and that was my primary motivation.

As for fuel economy, I havent seen any decrease. I drive 90% city and 10% highway, so its hard for me to really pin down a good highway MPG. I've taken a few long distance trips (about 300 miles) and based on my calculations still average around 40mpg highway. In the city, I get between 30-35mpg depending on how aggressively I drive.

I wish I could have gotten a torque reading on my first dyno day. Based on the later numbers, it looks like I could have potentially broken the 500 ft/lb mark.
neovb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
MrPig
Major
 
MrPig's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [5.00]
Good to know about the mpg, I drive about 90-95% city and have considered getting the JBD next year in the spring.
__________________
MrPig is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,706
iTrader: (87)

Nice numbers! The JBD at 0% is still about a 20+hp boost.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,180
iTrader: (4)

Nice results and closer to what I would expect of the JBD albeit maybe on the low side. The disparity between the machines is interesting. Certainly it can be due to several factors including what Mach V stated not to mention how each machine is calibrated etc.

It's worth noting that on the same machine neovb dyno’d his car, I dyno'd my car about an hour after he did with the JBD set approx 2 1/2 clicks down from 100% and my car dyno'd at 293.7 rwhp (no intake or other work), down 34 hp from neovb's result!

I should preface by saying that our d's were the first Moores' ever dyno'd and their software wasn't current, so I am not sure how much that influenced the results. What is strange is, if there is an 8% loss between the two machines (Mach V and Moores) and if that 8% was applied to my dyno results from Moores of 293.7 rwhp, that would translate into roughly a 24.9 rwhp loss on Mach V's dyno, resulting in a dyno of 268.8 rwhp, which is close to the setting at 0, which I don’t believe to be the case. At 2 1/2 clicks from 100% I am putting out way more than 268 rwhp.

Guess I need to take my car to Mach V now to compare and at least get torque numbers. Sicne my car doesn't have an intake I am really interested to see what if any benefit the intake provides. Shit after neovb's first dyno I couldn't get home fast enough to order and install one of those intakes!

Last edited by cssnms; 10-24-2011 at 04:42 PM.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovb View Post
I had my car dynoed earlier this week (Saturday the 22nd) at Moore's Automotive in Fairfax, VA. The car put down good horsepower numbers, however the technicians there were not able to get a torque reading as they could not pull an RPM signal. Three runs were conducted using a DynoJet dynamometer. All readings were done in 4th gear. Mods to the car are JBD set at 100% and intake with heat shield.

Run 1: 319.27 WHP
Run 2: 328.27 WHP
Run 3: 328.61 WHP

In order to get a torque reading, I took the car today to Mach V motorsports in Sterling, VA. They use the same DynoJet however they were able to pull a RPM signal from the ECU. We ran the car in both 5th and 4th gear, same car mods aside from one run done with the JBD set a 0%.

5th gear:

Run 1: 296.88 WHP, 474.31 WTQ
Run 2: 299.58 WHP, 468.57 WTQ
Run 3: 299.01 WHP, 465.29 WTQ

4th gear:

Run 1: 300.17 WHP, 445.08 WTQ
Run 2: 301.51 WHP, 442.44 WTQ
Run 3: 267.16 WHP, 415.57 WTQ (JBD set to 0%)

Ignoring the 5th gear runs (comparing directly to the 4th gear runs at Moore's Automotive), there was a ~28 WHP difference. I'm not sure why there is such a big difference, and its not clear which reading was the most accurate. Since the results were measured on the same machines, Mach V generally attributed the horsepower difference to the car itself (i.e. ECU adjusting fuel/timing differently today than on the previous run).

However, I can say that I'm pretty happy with a wheel torque of 474 ft/lb. It is interesting to note that the car makes substantially more torque in 5th gear vs. 4th gear - this being attributed to more engine load in the higher gear.

I dont have a scanner, so I cant upload the printouts. I'll try to get them scanned in soon so that you guys could actually see the HP/TQ curves.
How did they get the rpm signal from? I'm currently on a dynojet and can't find the rpm signal.
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
neovb
Private
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 79
iTrader: (1)

Not sure exactly which wire, but they tapped into a wire leading out of the ECU that carried the RPM signal. You may want to reach out to Mach V, they might be able to help you out.

The other option was to use a DynoJet module that accessed RPM through OBD2.
neovb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

I made 294 wph at 75% JBD at 3755 rpm
But only 368wtq at 3750 rpm
Couldn't get measures at lower rpm cause the car was shifting by itself even in manual
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovb View Post
Not sure exactly which wire, but they tapped into a wire leading out of the ECU that carried the RPM signal. You may want to reach out to Mach V, they might be able to help you out.

The other option was to use a DynoJet module that accessed RPM through OBD2.
I took signal from injector
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
neovb
Private
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 79
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
I made 294 wph at 75% JBD at 3755 rpm
But only 368wtq at 3750 rpm
Couldn't get measures at lower rpm cause the car was shifting by itself even in manual
Your numbers seem to be dead on with cssnms, and his was probably set around 75-80% based on what he said.
neovb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

How were you able to keep it in 4th or 5th gear? Everytime it would downshift or change gear by itself!
Could Not stay in gear from idle until 4200 rpm
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
neovb
Private
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 79
iTrader: (1)

The car was ran with the transmission in DS mode, with DSC/DTC off. If it was downshifting, then perhaps you did not have the transmission set in DS mode.

We would start in 1st, shift manually to 2nd, shift manually to 3rd, shift manually to 4th, shift manually to 5th and then WOT from about ~1500rpm.
neovb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #18
Ron1n
Speed Demon
 
Ron1n's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 335d E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The 858

Posts: 3,248
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
The car is best tested in 4th, in manual (M4). It provides more control and consistency in the test. Testing in 5th is a waste of time, not to mention, I question whether or not it skews the #'s.
__________________
Ron1n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

I tried but even in DS manual, in 4th gear at 3000rpm i floored it and it downshift by itself! In any gear, it downshift or up shift by itself ( in DS mode)
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #20
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

With DTC fully off
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
Ron1n
Speed Demon
 
Ron1n's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 335d E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The 858

Posts: 3,248
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
Floor it, but not to the point that you push the kick-down button. That's probably what's tripping the downshift.
__________________
Ron1n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Floor it, but not to the point that you push the kick-down button. That's probably what's tripping the downshift.
Ahhhhhh
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST