E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335is HPFP failure?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Imso0flyy23
Private First Class
4
Rep
168
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens, Ny

iTrader: (0)

335is HPFP failure?

Hi guys i got 1454 miles on my 335is and i was on highway and the engine malfunction reduce power light came on yesterday so i continue driving towards my destination then i shut off car and turn it on again and it is no longer there i have drove it the whole day today and nothing is this something to worry or might had just gonna off by mistake
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
335iRobot
Pshhhhhh
United_States
5
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Cpe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mesa, Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to 335iRobot Send a message via MSN to 335iRobot
take it in to the dealer
__________________
2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i M-Sport
Alpine White w/ Black Nevada/Brushed Aluminum
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
PKizzle's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: 335is, F25 X3, E36 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cary, NC

iTrader: (0)

Take it to the dealer and get it checked out. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Imso0flyy23
Private First Class
4
Rep
168
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens, Ny

iTrader: (0)

Even if it hasn't shown up again should i drive it and if occurs again ill take it straight to dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
samchoi604
Colonel
28
Rep
2,320
Posts

 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

iTrader: (3)

yes, the code should be stored in the ecu and dealer will see what happened. keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,506
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Do the 335is have the problem (I haven't been following)? My experience with the 335i was the same thing happened in 9/09. Nothing else for a month, then again. Everytime at the dealership they didn't find anything. By 4/10 the car wasn't driveable anymore, and after a PUMA case, fixed for good. It drove fine though 8/11, so that's 16 mos. as you can see. I just don't drive the car much anymore so the last 2 mos. are not included as problem-free, but nothing has happened since 4/10. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
PKizzle's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: 335is, F25 X3, E36 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cary, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imso0flyy23 View Post
Even if it hasn't shown up again should i drive it and if occurs again ill take it straight to dealer
I'd take it to the dealer just to see if they can get any codes off it. I made the mistake of ignoring low power mode a couple of times on my previous '09 335 since the light never actually came on and restarting it seemed to get it back to full power, and the damn thing left us stranded 300 miles away from home. Had to find a rental to get back etc., etc., The N54 has made me a nervous customer since then. So I would get it checked if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
BuraQ
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BuraQ's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
3,201
Posts


 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
He can get the code without going to the dealer. When the problem occures again he can use the side left stick (the high beem stick) on the steering wheel to bring up the error after selecting check system. He should see an exclamation symbol, when this is seen press down on the button on the end of the stick the same as you would do to resert the tire pressure senser.

A code for the erro or malfunction will generate then you can google that code to see exactly what it is.

Btw I have 6100 miles on my car and it was tuned at 1900 miles and not one HPFP issue.

Havent figure out how to generate the code on iDrive yet, just waiting for that limp mode to come whenever it does.
__________________
BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Torque Junkies
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Imso0flyy23
Private First Class
4
Rep
168
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens, Ny

iTrader: (0)

thanks guys ill see because i really don't have time to take it to dealer up until friday but if i don't get nothing by then i doubt ill take but like i said if it happens again then ill take it back could it had been set off by the cruise control because as soon as i put cruise control i think i hit a put hole at the same sec that i press it and then the engine malfunction went off
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
DaveL
Banned
9
Rep
970
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Darien CT.

iTrader: (0)

So sick of hearing about this and when the hell are they going to find a fuel pump that works??How hard is this?? Plus BMW is going turbo on almost everything...Don't understand. Bring it in get a software update and try again.Good luck Bro.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #11
Peertwelve
First Lieutenant
Peertwelve's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: Silverstone Metalic E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imso0flyy23 View Post
thanks guys ill see because i really don't have time to take it to dealer up until friday but if i don't get nothing by then i doubt ill take but like i said if it happens again then ill take it back could it had been set off by the cruise control because as soon as i put cruise control i think i hit a put hole at the same sec that i press it and then the engine malfunction went off
Holy crap use some punctuation. I've read this several times and I don't get it... Other than you might take it back?
__________________
Silverstone Metallic E92 M3
Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #12
Peertwelve
First Lieutenant
Peertwelve's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: Silverstone Metalic E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
So sick of hearing about this and when the hell are they going to find a fuel pump that works??How hard is this?? Plus BMW is going turbo on almost everything...Don't understand. Bring it in get a software update and try again.Good luck Bro.
I heard that HPFP is related to fuel additives used in the USA. Wonder if this is a problem in the EU
__________________
Silverstone Metallic E92 M3
Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:38 AM   #13
Cozy
Major
Cozy's Avatar
United Kingdom
25
Rep
1,491
Posts

 
Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like it to me buddy. I had the same thing, EML came on and reduced power, pulled over and switched off/on and no EML. I took it to the dealer the next day and the code in the ECU pointed to HPFP so they fitted a new one and the latest ECU software.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,616
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Once I got the proper HPFP replacement, along with the software update to fix the priming problem (lpfp not priming hpfp correctly), there have been no further problems. Haven't seen limp mode for 3 years now.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
TheStigsTwin
Captain
TheStigsTwin's Avatar
9
Rep
964
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
I heard that HPFP is related to fuel additives used in the USA. Wonder if this is a problem in the EU
It is happening all over the world.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Imso0flyy23
Private First Class
4
Rep
168
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens, Ny

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone has this happen on their 335is i no i seen it occur a lot in 335i but i don't think i seen anyone with 335is mention it yet or maybe i have not seen it
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
tunachris
First Lieutenant
tunachris's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
318
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Simi Valley, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
I heard that HPFP is related to fuel additives used in the USA. Wonder if this is a problem in the EU
I have to wonder the same thing. I had my HPFP replaced last March. Didn't have serious problems, but I still had the car go into "limp" mode if I really got it on before coming up to temperature. The replacment was done per. the BMW Recall notice. After replacement the only time I have gone into "limp" mode was in Idaho when I think I got some crap has and I was at alltitiude. This was back in late June. Since I have been back in California I haven't had any "limp" modes.
__________________
JB4, BMW Perf. Exhaust, DCI, Strut Brace, KW Series 1, Quaife LSD, Black Kidneys.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
tres
Major
tres's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,335
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: maryland

iTrader: (6)

wow good info i learned something today. My car has 12000 no issues also



Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
He can get the code without going to the dealer. When the problem occures again he can use the side left stick (the high beem stick) on the steering wheel to bring up the error after selecting check system. He should see an exclamation symbol, when this is seen press down on the button on the end of the stick the same as you would do to resert the tire pressure senser.

A code for the erro or malfunction will generate then you can google that code to see exactly what it is.

Btw I have 6100 miles on my car and it was tuned at 1900 miles and not one HPFP issue.

Havent figure out how to generate the code on iDrive yet, just waiting for that limp mode to come whenever it does.
__________________
Member #431510
oem perf cf spoiler and front lip/m3strut brace/m3 subframe bushings/wavetrac lsd/ TMS solid diff bushings/akg solid tension strut bushing/MR adjustable toe arms/MR adjustable upper link/full m3 suspension/ecs tuning ss brake lines/GC coilovers./CPE dci's,catless dp,intercooler,charge pipe bov/BMS OCC/tuningtechfs tuned/RB pcv valve/defiv diff lockdownkit
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
Edward
Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
2,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Um, my 335is has over 18k miles on it now and I had the check engine light come on last week. about 4 times, I would start my car early morning, most recently in pretty cold climate because my car spent the night on the curb at my gfs house.
The symptom is a very quick start, but the car idles super rough and the car itself is shakey. When trying to rev, the roughness just increases as if one of the cylinders isn't firing. I feel like it's not fuel pump related, but you never know. I havent experienced a true long crank.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
Royal Flush
Major
Royal Flush's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,306
Posts

 
Drives: 335i, 335is, GT-R, SL65
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA/NYC/LV

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Royal Flush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Um, my 335is has over 18k miles on it now and I had the check engine light come on last week. about 4 times, I would start my car early morning, most recently in pretty cold climate because my car spent the night on the curb at my gfs house.
The symptom is a very quick start, but the car idles super rough and the car itself is shakey. When trying to rev, the roughness just increases as if one of the cylinders isn't firing. I feel like it's not fuel pump related, but you never know. I havent experienced a true long crank.
Dealership ASAP for codes and service
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #21
330izhp
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: E46 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: FLA

iTrader: (0)

Any update on this issue? I'm seriously thinking of buying a 335is and very concerned about the HPFP issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #22
RMG
RMG
United_States
1
Rep
179
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
Holy crap use some punctuation. I've read this several times and I don't get it... Other than you might take it back?
+1
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST