E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BEst INtake for DESERT HEAT~

03-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #23
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

CEA 3, I agree with you. The intake will only make more power if it is the restrictive point in the system. It is just as likely that the other components are more restrictive like the air intake, the tubing, the intercooler, or the turbos themselves.

Until people start designing new parts and testing them, the only people that know are the BMW designers.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #24
CASHBY
United_States

Drives: E90 335 "done up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
CEA 3, I agree with you. The intake will only make more power if it is the restrictive point in the system. It is just as likely that the other components are more restrictive like the air intake, the tubing, the intercooler, or the turbos themselves.

Until people start designing new parts and testing them, the only people that know are the BMW designers.
yea, what seems to shock people is on our cars...well now BMW and AUDI's turbo charged cars, their stock airbox they make are perfect and really do not need to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #25
Terry335
Banned
United_States

Drives: 335i

For what its worth I just took the stock air filter out to check the box out, and its looks pretty bad. There are several choke points in the box itself, and the runs to the turbos are long, narrow, and look like they'll pickup a lot of radiant heat.

The problem with a better intake is packaging, there isn't much room to work with. The best solution will probably be to run piping from the turbos directly to an air filter below the car, and leave the upper airbox sitting on top to keep that "stock" look. I can't wait to see what vendors come up with, if I had more time I'd go rig up a couple of K&N cone filters myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #26
SteanLV
Philippines

Drives: Liberty Walk M3

Send a message via AIM to SteanLV
Hmm I guess an intake would barely do any good on my car with 100+ degree weather out here.. I mean I dont care if I only get1hp froman intake as long as I get that sound from the car hehe.
      03-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #27
Walked U
Brigadier General

Drives: RR sport s/c, E82, E89 3.5is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizal View Post
Hmm I guess an intake would barely do any good on my car with 100+ degree weather out here.. I mean I dont care if I only get1hp froman intake as long as I get that sound from the car hehe.
go for it if all you want is the sound.
      03-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #28
CASHBY
United_States

Drives: E90 335 "done up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizal View Post
yea actualy in hotter weather im sure it would be worse...just sucking hotter air.

however one thingt hat might help...if there are severy "choke" points int he stock set up, would be to maybe develp something with the stock airbox that is smooth with out any choke points.... im going to take a peak inside tonight and snap some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #29
Terry335
Banned
United_States

Drives: 335i

Check it out, I think you'll be surprised. I'd love to see a pic of the car from the bottom with the plastic plate removed too. I bet we can rig up something under there.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #30
musc
⬇Cobbzilla lol
United_States

Drives: 335is DCT

Garage List
2004 E46 M3  [5.00]
I wonder if Streamline will develop a filter for the 335i? There webpage shows that one is 'coming soon' for the E90. It looks like a K&N, but was extensively tested and designed (for my application). It was used a lot in the E46 M3 world. Much better flow characteristics while maintaining the OEM filters debris collection efficiency. Maybe be a worthwhile dropin filter.

http://heleneperformance.com/products1fr.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #31
plus150
Plus150
United_States

Drives: 2007 335i 4d, 6m, Spt, Pm, Cld

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Intake on turbo car

I currently drive an 04 Volvo V 70 R turbo, with a DIY jury rigged K&N cone filter (left over from my 01 330i) stock airbox removed, but plenty of cold air ducted in from the grille and there is definitely a small performance difference, particularly in throttle response i.e. driveability.

I have a 335i on the way and will most likely use the same old K&N if I can make it fit as there is simply no way my budget will tolerate $1800, $900 or even $300 for an intake, but if it does not improve performance I'll opt for a drop in K&N.

"Life begins at 150"

07 e90 335i 6M, sparkling graphite, gray, PP, SP, CP, on a boat in the Atlantic.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #32
bnj
Banned

Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U View Post
I have felt from personal experience that the stock air box with a k&n or another drop in air filter works the best.
what was the experience without the airbox? I'm afraid that like in CEAs case, he did not really dyno an intake...
In turbo car its about the air flow through the system. Turbo needs a lot of air. Air box is always restrictive. I have seen tens of hp increases replacing air boxes by custom made intakes. Cold air is better than hot, but the air volume is what really matters.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #33
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States

Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

Send a message via AIM to TheLegacy Send a message via Skype™ to TheLegacy
Intakes don't do much for stock turbo cars and I've done plenty of work in the turbo world.

However later on when I had way more power and a bigger turbo, an aftermarket intake or airbox was needed. I'm curious to see more ram intakes out on the market and their dynos.

But as of now don't see any huge gains with a simple intake, yet.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #34
bnj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
Intakes don't do much for stock turbo cars and I've done plenty of work in the turbo world.

However later on when I had way more power and a bigger turbo, an aftermarket intake or airbox was needed. I'm curious to see more ram intakes out on the market and their dynos.

But as of now don't see any huge gains with a simple intake, yet.
That's true. If someone has all the mods that have been done already: turboback, turbine housings and piggyback/reflash, then intake makes sense and has been done for the wheelsboutique car seen in 6speedonline.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 04:28 AM   #35
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia

Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Send a message via ICQ to judec Send a message via Skype™ to judec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
...The best solution will probably be to run piping from the turbos directly to an air filter below the car, and leave the upper airbox sitting on top to keep that "stock" look. I can't wait to see what vendors come up with, if I had more time I'd go rig up a couple of K&N cone filters myself.
Well, now that's a BS, sorry. U want to suck air from below the car, meaning from the road surface where it's the hottest? Not to mention the negative pressure under the car in case of the right aerodynamic setup. LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
That's true. If someone has all the mods that have been done already: turboback, turbine housings and piggyback/reflash, then intake makes sense and has been done for the wheelsboutique car seen in 6speedonline.
I just repeat what I mentioned in the other intake thread - I have driven a 500HP Saab 9000 Aero (2.3 16V I4, GT3071R, IC, fuelpump etc...) which had only stock intake with a JR direct bolt-on air filter, nuthing more on the intake side. There are some ultra-cool-open-air kit's available tho, but they are not that necessary and sometimes they prooved contraproductive. Now that stock Saab intake is really far behind the 335i's one in design and performance too (or let's call it airflow), is much more restrictive like that one. So before U continue with your sound discussion about how the intake is bad and also before U waste money for s/t useless, use google, do some simple math about air demand for the engine/turbos, than take the whole intake out and do a flow test and U'll be surprised.

On the other hand I know most of U dont really care, so just make a shopping list with notes like "needed 4 more power", "needed 4 better handling", "nice to have", "good looking" or "this will make me feel like a real man" and be sure to not include the intake to the 1st category, than assign priorities the entries, resort your list, check your acount and go shopping. U can also let us know, how did U do. Me personally would prefer DP for the price of the intake-doing-0 (or close to 0). Or coilovers. Or vacation... :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #36
bnj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
Well, now that's a BS, sorry. U want to suck air from below the car, meaning from the road surface where it's the hottest? Not to mention the negative pressure under the car in case of the right aerodynamic setup. LMAO

I just repeat what I mentioned in the other intake thread - I have driven a 500HP Saab 9000 Aero (2.3 16V I4, GT3071R, IC, fuelpump etc...) which had only stock intake with a JR direct bolt-on air filter, nuthing more on the intake side. There are some ultra-cool-open-air kit's available tho, but they are not that necessary and sometimes they prooved contraproductive. Now that stock Saab intake is really far behind the 335i's one in design and performance too (or let's call it airflow), is much more restrictive like that one. So before U continue with your sound discussion about how the intake is bad and also before U waste money for s/t useless, use google, do some simple math about air demand for the engine/turbos, than take the whole intake out and do a flow test and U'll be surprised.
Most of tuned cars are in a way or another "in progress", not only that Saab. I myself have upgraded turbo, downpipe, exhaust manifold, exhaust, wastegate, ECU+map etc. for my other car and I know that intake is the next mod resulting in good gains after all the other upgrades. I certainly had to take the airbox out and have a huge Green filter to provide the needed air volume. It's under the hood, in the middle, so clearly work in progress, but still all the upgrades to enhance breathing resulted in close to 100% gains without increasing the boost.

I would not emphasize the air being hot close to the ground -factor. It affects the air volume only little, the air still goes through intercooler and last, Ram Filters are often placed under the hood in a way that they are sucking even hotter air in than what comes from close to the ground.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #37
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia

The Chain is as Strong as Its Weakest Link. Recently there is a lot of such links, while the intake is not the one. Actually the way it's designed makes it a quiet good cold air intake, so I bet the aftermarket intakes will more or less copy its basic design (actually the only one I know does already). So go along the chain, upgrade the weakest links one after another, and when U get to the intake, upgrade it too. But I'm afraid the direct injection will cut the infinite tuning potential of this car and make the intake change cosmetical, not crucial.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #38
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

has anyone checked the intercooler efficiency on these cars yet??

on my S60R which was modded, the stock intercooler was horrible. I was lucky enough to be one of the few guys in the country running a highly modded R up until the end of '05.

I had intercooler, intake, downpipe, full exhaust, custom ECU tune and internally modded turbo. Car was making good power.

The thing with the intake I had was that it was a cone K&N situated inside the engine bay so it WAS sucking in hot air, but the efficient custom intercooler cooled that air very nicely. So in reality, I was allowing airflow into the turbo's to become easier, where the air is heated anwyay, then the intercooler was doing its job and cooling it down.

I think we should start there and measure IAT before and after the intercooler to see what HP gains are to be had there. Or should I say, what HP we're losing due to intercooler inefficiency.

Here is the setup on my R.

06-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #39
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia

Check out this thread on IC replacement. But no news atm...

Anyway, nicely done R.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #40
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain

Drives: 2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG

I would personally don't bother to get a so called"cold air intake". In a N/A car it works very well because it does the function of picking up a little colder air and sucking it up directly to the intake manifold but on a turbo car it would not really matter because no matter how cold the air on the air filter is it will get hot as hell when compressed by the turbo to later cool down again after the intercooler.

If I were to pick up something it would be a K&n or a foam type element filter(oem size)
my .2c