E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need new turbos, what shop to pick – Aftermarket Extended Warranty

10-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Island Road
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
Need new turbos, what shop to pick – Aftermarket Extended Warranty

I bought my car with a little over 60k out of warranty. After a few thousand miles I installed catless DP and AE Catless Exhaust. Soon after the install I noticed a little smoke out of the left exhaust tips. Having the car out of warranty and knowing the cost of turbo replacement / upgrade beforehand I had already decided to buy an aftermarket extended warranty. I went with 50k / 5 year plan for a little under 3k everything covered. I figure my turbo install is going to be more then this anyway and after they have been fixed I still have everything else covered on the car if more things were to go wrong.

Ideally I would love to find a shop that can perform that work while installing aftermarket turbos (aka RB or Helix) and have it covered under warranty. At the same time while just brining my car in like it is with the exhaust setup and not have the shop bitch out “that’s the reason why your turbo might be bad” bs you’re not covered.

My Options :

BMW - I would want to return the car to stock before I go in though. Also the bill would be ridiculous, way over the cost and install of upgraded turbos. But not like it matters to me because warranty is paying for it and nothing like the dealership looking everything over to make it perfect.

Turner Motorsports: I have never dealt with this company but they are a known BMW shop in NE and just about everybody that has had a BMW knows about them. I am pretty sure they would not opt to buy aftermarket turbos and just install the OEM ones.

Helix: I already called them and explained my situation. Their policy is after dealing with aftermarket warranty’s they will need “me” to pay first to cover all costs. Then when the warranty company has paid they will reimburse me just to cover their ass. I have no problem driving there and having them do the work but on the other hand they are working on an upgraded turbo aside from there already big turbo kit so I would hold out until that is finished.

Suggestions!!: I would like to give the business to somebody other than BMW. My last option would be to hear from people who have had turbos replaced under an aftermarket extended warranty NOT covered under BMW and how was your experience. Also what shops do you recommend that would be willing to help me with this situation (Get RB turbos - install - has experience dealing with warranty companies). I live in Boston but have no problem driving to PA or wherever as long as I now I am going to be treated right and my car taken care of.

2008 AW 6MT | BB Flash | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ |
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Island Road
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
Nobody has any info about this or experience they have run into before?

2008 AW 6MT | BB Flash | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ |
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep

Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Turner did all the work on my E46 when I lived in the Boston area. All the work they did was first rate, even sending someone over to a dealer to pick-up parts when some unexpected repair was needed. Can be difficult to get scheduled, you just have to keep calling, and work with their availability.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Island Road
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
Turner did all the work on my E46 when I lived in the Boston area. All the work they did was first rate, even sending someone over to a dealer to pick-up parts when some unexpected repair was needed. Can be difficult to get scheduled, you just have to keep calling, and work with their availability.
Thanks for this info, I just spoke with the head tech there and they advised me that it would be 3k to replace the turbo’s about 14hrs worth of work. Of course they recommend replacing both as it makes no sense to only do one. On the downside they don’t deal with aftermarket warranty’s…. So far it’s looking like helix and still researching.

Appreciate 0