E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Question: Springs vs Coils

10-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Drives: Mojave E92

Question: Springs vs Coils

Dear suspension experts.

I have an E92 in which I'm looking to drop fairly soon.

My car has a set of 19's on it which I love...but it has the stock BMW Sports Package Suspension.

I've seen the way my car would look with just H&R Springs and I actually like it. I think I'll be happy with springs and 19's rather than spending a ton of cash on coilovers.

The problem I'm having is I don't want the car to ride and feel bouncy. I want a nice stiff suspension.

I've read that the only different between springs and coilovers are the actual drop - but they both ride the same. Is this true?

I know springs will wear out the struts faster if they are swapped for Koni's. But I'm concerned about the drive.

Any advice folks?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
2jzbmw
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Drives: e90

Go with coils! worth spending the money now and having a good set-up, you will find yourself asking the same question in 12-24mths when your shocks are shot.

Below is NOT the case, coils allow much more adjustment than height in comparison to springs ie, compression rebound. And since you can afford a BMW you should be able to afford coils

"I've read that the only different between springs and coilovers are the actual drop - but they both ride the same. Is this true?"

As you are able to adjust compression and rebound (on good systems Independently) on coils you will be able to customize how your ride reacts overall.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Coils..I would suggest Koni yellows paired w swifts springs..will give u MUCH better handling and still maintain a civil ride on the street

www.hpashop.com
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Drives: Mojave E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzbmw View Post
Go with coils! worth spending the money now and having a good set-up, you will find yourself asking the same question in 12-24mths when your shocks are shot.

Below is NOT the case, coils allow much more adjustment than height in comparison to springs ie, compression rebound. And since you can afford a BMW you should be able to afford coils

"I've read that the only different between springs and coilovers are the actual drop - but they both ride the same. Is this true?"

As you are able to adjust compression and rebound (on good systems Independently) on coils you will be able to customize how your ride reacts overall.

I appreciate the feedback.

The issue is I'm not planning on tracking my car EVER!!! + suspension isn't all that important to me. My car doesn't look that bad at all with the ZSP and 19's. I just want a little more drop - I will probably never adjust it once it's set.

I've thought about the fact that if I go with springs I'll have to change the shocks in a year - so I'll end up spending over $900+. If that's the case - then I might as well do coilovers to begin with.

I'm thinking about doing the ST Coilovers since KW makes them. They're about $850 which isn't too bad and it'll be cheaper than springs and koni shocks!

I'm still looking for reviews on the ST Coilovers. I see a few for Sonic Tuning - but I'd like to stay away from those as they have some pretty negative reviews.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep

Drives: e92

if you dont want bouncy, you're cheapest alternative to full coilover sets, is to get springs and matching shocks/struts. if you get only springs and dump them on stock shocks, you WILL be bouncing everywhere. trust. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post

The issue is I'm not planning on tracking my car EVER!!! + suspension isn't all that important to me. My car doesn't look that bad at all with the ZSP and 19's. I just want a little more drop - I will probably never adjust it once it's set.

I've thought about the fact that if I go with springs I'll have to change the shocks in a year - so I'll end up spending over $900+. If that's the case - then I might as well do coilovers to begin with.

I'm thinking about doing the ST Coilovers since KW makes them. They're about $850 which isn't too bad and it'll be cheaper than springs and koni shocks!

I'm still looking for reviews on the ST Coilovers. I see a few for Sonic Tuning - but I'd like to stay away from those as they have some pretty negative reviews.
KW dampers are great its their progressive rate springs that are not..so many I know who develop noise and issues with it..u really cant go wrong with swifts.

Good suspension options are not cheap..I would almost stay stock than cut corners w a budget setup
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

first of all, springs don't make the car bouncy if they are paired with the correct damper. Coilovers will match the springs with a new damper, so you get both with height adjustability. A good set of shocks/struts like koni yellows will pair up with just about any lowering spring and allow you to adjust the rebound stiffness to match those springs (and not be bouncy).

The issue is doing it right the first time. If you get springs - get some new shocks to go with it. Coilovers will cost more, but they also give you height adjustment
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post

Check out KW Street Comfort coilovers; linear rate springs and matching dampers; minimal to mederate lowering. Send Alan at **********s a pm for pricing; you can get them for less than what's listed on their website.
      10-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: JB E92 335i

Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more money doing it right and going with an aftermarket spring paired up with an aftermarket shock.

With that being said, would you be willing to explore the option of possibly going with a coilover system? The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced. As some have already mentioned, KW does have some great coilover setups for you to choose from!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Manny_World
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
1994 BMW 525i  [0.00]
You basically want a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with without spending the money for coilovers... look up Eibach Pro System. It comes with their springs and matched dampers. Think of if as a non-adjustable coilover that's pro tuned if you will. Even though you don't track, they're track approved. Good luck with your search. Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll agree with the price.
      11-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
How low do you want to go? Do you want flush?

It sounds to me like you'd be happy with springs/shocks. You sound the same as me.

Coils are nice but having to worry about getting them dropped just right is a little bit of a pain. And if you don't want it real low and don't "EVER" plan on taking it to a track, then what's the point.

I have koni Yellows/H&R Sport and it's an awesome drop/ride. And I can adjust the dampening.

I got both used (if you watch every day you'll see someone selling these).