E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New to BMW, is this normal?

10-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
TreeThirtyFive
Rep

Drives: bmw 335i

New to BMW, is this normal?

Seems like on the first start of the day with the engine cold, it seems to start no problem and the rpms hover at about 1100-1200 rpm for about 10 seconds or more before slowly and sometimes unsteadily dropping down to normal sounding idle.

If I then turn off the car and turn it back on, it starts like normal and goes into a nice healthy idle almost immediately.

Is this a sign of fuel pump going out?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

this is normal...all cars do this you can't expect to come in early in the morning start her up and expect it to idle perfect just not going to happen.
      10-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
TreeThirtyFive
Rep

thanks, I hope its nothing but I did some research online and found this youtube video of someone with very similar issues and he said he called BMW and "had the HPFP tested and it failed."

Link to the video:
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

yeah but you said this only happens when you first crank it for the first time....if it does it over and over again then it might be HPFP. How does the car act when your driving it? have you boosted it since finding out about this issue?
      10-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
TreeThirtyFive
Rep

Well it happens only when the engine is cold but it seems pretty consistent. Should I give a call to the local BMW dealership? I just bought the car earlier this month from a non-bmw dealer, that wouldn't matter right?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

Drives: black on black

In the video it took that guy some time to crank his car, he had to push the start button for like 3 seconds. That was his problem, but the RPM thing is normal. Have to ask, is this your first time driving a car
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
TreeThirtyFive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
In the video it took that guy some time to crank his car, he had to push the start button for like 3 seconds. That was his problem, but the RPM thing is normal. Have to ask, is this your first time driving a car
No, I've owned several vehicles before but this is my first BMW and because of the notorious HPFP issues that plague the N54, I am a bit paranoid. That paranoia escalated when I found a video showing similar symptoms that had a bad HPFP. Thanks for your input but fuck you for the condescending tone
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

OP...it's normal.

Long crank = HPFP issue
Bouncing RPM (600-1500) = bad injector, coils, and or plugs
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0