E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Another labonde crapped out.

11-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
stratos_335
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 335i

I just received my snow performance failsafe. It looks nice and rigid and weights twice as the crappy Labonte.

Looking forward to installing it this weekend
      11-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #24
stratos_335
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I did redo the wiring. and the connector are totally different compared to each other. Snow wiring is more robust and so is the connector

Blue wire on Labonte is now yellow of SP
BLACK Wire on both units ground
Green wire on both units are not USED
Red wire on both units is switched power

****** the only difference is that the Snow Performance has an extra wire (purple/pink) color that needs to be wired into the progressive controller's green wire.

It pretty easy. Just take one wire off at a time and reconnect to snow unit immediately so there is no confusion. After all four wires taken from Labonte unit, throwqthe Labonte unit as far as your arm can toss it, then grab some extra wire and connect the purple wire remaining that needs to be hooked up from SP safeinjection to progressive controller green wire!!! Readings will be much higher than it was before but its normal. Flow logs from Procede will show that and also you will see from the logs there is less flow spikes than the crappy Labonte unit
Here is my new Snow Performance failsafe:

1) I have the old pps system. Where should I connect the purple wire?

2)Where should I set the min flow trim? Is 600 OK by default?

3) where should I set the sample time trim?
      11-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #25
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos_335 View Post

1) which kit do you have?

2 and 3 doesnt matter since you are only using the output signal for the flow.

The purple should go to the pump power: http://downloads.bustedfingermotorsp...ON_install.pdf
Thats why i bought the aquamist...
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      11-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #26
enrita
Major General

got an answer from howerton concerning the flow direction of the aquamist:

The flow direction does not matter, but once you install and use it, you should not try to reverse the direction.
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
      11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 917-939-4980

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post

The purple should go to the pump power: http://downloads.bustedfingermotorsp...ON_install.pdf
Enrita If installing that one extra purple wire made you go get the aquamist flow sensor, you are nuts! Should have given the snow unit a try. It's not a cheap unit to let it sit around and not used

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
      11-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
enrita
Major General

Quote:
Enrita If installing that one extra purple wire made you go get the aquamist flow sensor, you are nuts! Should have given the snow unit a try. It's not a cheap unit to let it sit around and not used

well i am not able to install that myself and i dont want to leave the car to my shop which would have costed more time and money than just get the aquamist which i can fix myself. I will sell the snow or just keep it as spare and sell it with the complete kit when parting out the car.
      11-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #29
cn555ic

Where the hell is the progressive controller installed at? All you have to do is find that green wire and attach the purple wire from safeinjection. It's pretty simple unless your progressive controller is installed in a spot that you can't get to. That's the only logical reason I can see because looking at the two units (sp and aquamist) the Sp looks so much more robust than the aquamist one. I dunno man! Either way. Good luck and let me know how the aqua flow sensor works out for you

11-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #30
cn555ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos_335 View Post

1 purple wire goes to the green wire of the progressive controller
2 leave everything alone, no need for this function
3 you don't touch that dial either. Not used

Go out and instAll it. Really easy and your flow on procede reader should read much higher than before. Get the new flow reading and minus 3 from that number and input that flow number into injection flow % in the procede user adjustables

11-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #31
enrita
Major General

Quote:
Where the hell is the progressive controller installed at? All you have to do is find that green wire and attach the purple wire from safeinjection. It's pretty simple unless your progressive controller is installed in a spot that you can't get to. That's the only logical reason I can see because looking at the two units (sp and aquamist) the Sp looks so much more robust than the aquamist one. I dunno man! Either way. Good luck and let me know how the aqua flow sensor works out for you
its in the small box under the rixster gauge (its a euro compartment) . i did not do the install so i dont know exactly even how the cables are routed.
i dont have my own garage with tools so i just want to do as little work as possible.
      11-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #32
stratos_335
First Lieutenant

Quote:

I have the pps system from Vishnu, the one with the Labonte components (failsafe and the other controller with the boost input)

Quote:
1 purple wire goes to the green wire of the progressive controller
2 leave everything alone, no need for this function
3 you don't touch that dial either. Not used

Go out and instAll it. Really easy and your flow on procede reader should read much higher than before. Get the new flow reading and minus 3 from that number and input that flow number into injection flow % in the procede user adjustables
So, if I understood it correct, should I connect the purple wire from the SP failsafe with the green wire coming out from the Labonte controller with the boost line?

I used to have injection flow % at procede equal to 11. Now, this should be 8? (M7 injector and 150 psi pump). I used to get readings around 14-15...

Edit: here is apicture of the current setup (a few smoking filters escaped from my pocket lol...):

11-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #33
cn555ic

Yes the purple wire from Snow performance gets wired up to the green wire of the Labonte progressive controller with the boost line. Just take one wire off at a time And connect it to snow safeinjection until all the wires are off the lebonte unit and then all u need to do is connect last remaining wire which is purple and your done. Flow with your new unit will probably read about 18-19-% compared to 14-15

11-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #34
enrita
Major General

Installed the aquamist. its reading 92 on the procede and getting overflow codes... damn it... probably needs rescaling or something. There is no leak and wiring should be correct. Meth is spraying.
      11-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #35
cn555ic

Quote:
Installed the aquamist. its reading 92 on the procede and getting overflow codes... damn it... probably needs rescaling or something. There is no leak and wiring should be correct. Meth is spraying.
Well if it's showing 92 just plug in the value of 89 and take it from there. It's showing overflow because procede will trigger it overflow if it's 2X more flow then value inputed. Setup the flow on user adjustables and then take it out for a test. I see you bought a really big flow range unit. 80-2000 ml/min.

11-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #36
stratos_335
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Yes the purple wire from Snow performance gets wired up to the green wire of the Labonte progressive controller with the boost line. Just take one wire off at a time And connect it to snow safeinjection until all the wires are off the lebonte unit and then all u need to do is connect last remaining wire which is purple and your done. Flow with your new unit will probably read about 18-19-% compared to 14-15
Alright. Thank so much. I'll connect it tomorrow and go out for some logs. I hope there will be no problem at all.

Quote:
Damn, I hoped that neither of us would have any problems with the installation. 92% on procede? Looks too high...
      11-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #37
enrita
Major General

Shiv told me the flow sensor needs to be rescaled. over 90 the procede will throw an overflow code. Either i wired it wrong or it cannot be used with the procede... I guess back to plan 1.. damn it...

missed cn555ic post, will try to put in procede a value of 85 and see how it goes.
      11-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #38
enrita
Major General

ok got an update from Jeff Howerton:
The green wire changes the mapping of the .5 to 4.5v signal coming out of the flow sensor. If you ground the green wire, it will be on the most sensitive map. Leaving the green wire un-connected will enable the middle map. Connecting the green wire to 12v, will enable the highest flow map, which should be about 4.5V for 1500cc.

To get an exact mapping for the flowsensor in your system you would need to flow it into a container for a few flow rates and get exact mapping for the cc/volt output.

Which piggyback are you using? Shiv's or Terry's? I know Shiv had some of the inputs capped at 2.5V and that caused some issues reading normal 0-5v sensors.

So basically for the Procede I need to connect the green wire to the 12V power to get the highest flow setting (and read lower) :-) will try this tomorrow.
      11-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
cn555ic

Quote:
ok got an update from Jeff Howerton:
The green wire changes the mapping of the .5 to 4.5v signal coming out of the flow sensor. If you ground the green wire, it will be on the most sensitive map. Leaving the green wire un-connected will enable the middle map. Connecting the green wire to 12v, will enable the highest flow map, which should be about 4.5V for 1500cc.

To get an exact mapping for the flowsensor in your system you would need to flow it into a container for a few flow rates and get exact mapping for the cc/volt output.

Which piggyback are you using? Shiv's or Terry's? I know Shiv had some of the inputs capped at 2.5V and that caused some issues reading normal 0-5v sensors.

So basically for the Procede I need to connect the green wire to the 12V power to get the highest flow setting (and read lower) :-) will try this tomorrow.
Wow that sounds confusing as hell! If your saying you have to hook up the green wire from the Aquamist unit now to a 12v source, then you would need to hook it up to the progressive controller green wire which is a 12v Green wire to green wire)!! lol And if thats the case, it would bring you back to square one with the Snow Performance unit! lol WOW...

11-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #40
Big Tom
Banned

Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Enrita ---> Just go the Basic Meth Kit route, much easier...
Big Tom is offline   Sweden
      11-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #41
enrita
Major General

Quote:
Wow that sounds confusing as hell! If your saying you have to hook up the green wire from the Aquamist unit now to a 12v source, then you would need to hook it up to the progressive controller green wire which is a 12v Green wire to green wire)!! lol And if thats the case, it would bring you back to square one with the Snow Performance unit! lol WOW...
no i just need to attach both 12V and green wires together and connect to the 12v source. 10 min job.
      11-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #42
cn555ic

Quote:
no i just need to attach both 12V and green wires together and connect to the 12v source. 10 min job.
O I C!!! Great keep me posted...Want to know for the future!

11-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #43
enrita
Major General

Quote:
O I C!!! Great keep me posted...Want to know for the future!
would have been nice though if there were some kind of info about this... it was written on the site "Green wire" calibration but if a range of volts and how to connect it would have been written i would have surely asked Shiv about this BEFORE installing it....
Howerton answered my mails really quickly though so i am not complaining. More info on the installation would have been nice.
      11-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #44
stratos_335
First Lieutenant

OK, now a silly question.

I followed your instructions but.... where should I connect the purple wire with the green from the progressive meth controller. The first end of the green wire is connected to the controller and the other end goes somewhere near the pump. I cannot see the other end as the wire is wrapped with the red and black wires together and go somewhere near the pump under the carpet.

Should I cut the green wire and connect it with the purple on the side of the controller and leave the other end cut? Or should I make a "T" connection?