E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Concerning Issue



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
omax2008
Private First Class
 
omax2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Concerning Issue

I have 6k miles on my N55. My engine mods are Stage II for two months and a BMS downpipe which I've had for two weeks. All has been great! Tons of fun.

Today when I turned the car on the engine light came on and said "engine malfunction. Car is drivable at reduced power".

I parked the car and came back and the engine "logo" wasn't illuminated but it said "get engine serviced soon".

Any ideas. I'm going to take the car to Matt at camber toe tomorrow but I'd appreciate your guys' expertise also.

Thanks

Last edited by omax2008; 11-16-2011 at 07:21 PM.
omax2008 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
ejazbmw
blahhh
 
ejazbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 6,340
iTrader: (7)

damn this worries me because i have the same mods...
ejazbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,284
iTrader: (86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omax2008 View Post
I have 6k miles on my N55. My engine mods are Stage II for two months and a BMS downpipe which I've had for two weeks. All has been great! Tons of fun.

Today when I turned the car on the engine light came on and said "engine malfunction. Car is drivable at reduced power".

I parked the car and came back and the engine "logo" wasn't illuminated but it said "get engine serviced soon".

Any ideas. I'm going to take the car to Matt at camber toe tomorrow but I'd appreciate your guys' expertise also.

Thanks
Any time you get check engine light (yellow half engine or reduced power indicator) or service engine soon light (orange SES) the first step is to read the codes. With a Stage2 installed there are two methods. The easiest method for beginners is to connect the laptop interface and use the "read codes" button under settings. This will give a full listing along with descriptions. Alternatively for more advanced users or if a laptop isn't available you may use the in dash reading on menu 1 option 1. Directions for that method are here:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...98&postcount=1

If a Stage2 is not installed you can also use a BT or CT tool to do the scan. Once you have the exact code details email those in to BMS for advice.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
335 oClock
MOE
 
335 oClock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,530
iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to 335 oClock
same thing happened to me this past weekend, It has to be the downpipe because that had not happened before the downpipe.. shut your car off and leave it for a few mins and turn it on again, ur fine
335 oClock is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
omax2008
Private First Class
 
omax2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
same thing happened to me this past weekend, It has to be the downpipe because that had not happened before the downpipe.. shut your car off and leave it for a few mins and turn it on again, ur fine
Ok... So I just went out to my car to check for codes. I had switched to map 0 so I switched back to map one. No check engine lights or service lights anymore. I then went to see if there were any stored, there weren't.

I am happy yet nervous

What would our next step be?
omax2008 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
335 oClock
MOE
 
335 oClock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,530
iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to 335 oClock
Ive no idea, thats what im trying to figure out as well
335 oClock is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,284
iTrader: (86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omax2008 View Post
Ok... So I just went out to my car to check for codes. I had switched to map 0 so I switched back to map one. No check engine lights or service lights anymore. I then went to see if there were any stored, there weren't.

I am happy yet nervous

What would our next step be?
Wait for the code to come back up and when it does switch to map 0 to prevent the autoclear from deleting it. Then read the code.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
omax2008
Private First Class
 
omax2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Wait for the code to come back up and when it does switch to map 0 to prevent the autoclear from deleting it. Then read the code.

Mike
I disabled autoclear. For now at least.
omax2008 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,284
iTrader: (86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omax2008 View Post
I disabled autoclear. For now at least.
That is fine too. With autoclear off you'll get all the tuner codes (2774, 2C90, 2C58) and then also the 3106 catless code. So you ignore all those and try to locate the abnormal code. Best thing to do is to engage BMS for help. They've tuned around 10,000 cars and have seen it all and are well equipped to help you. Normally posting for help on the forums just results in bad or confusing advice in my opinion.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
omax2008
Private First Class
 
omax2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
That is fine too. With autoclear off you'll get all the tuner codes (2774, 2C90, 2C58) and then also the 3106 catless code. So you ignore all those and try to locate the abnormal code. Best thing to do is to engage BMS for help. They've tuned around 10,000 cars and have seen it all and are well equipped to help you. Normally posting for help on the forums just results in bad or confusing advice in my opinion.

Mike
I didn't want to bother you guys if this was a routine run of the mill thing.

Thanks mike
omax2008 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST