E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Individual Audio System



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
G33
Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London

Posts: 2,082
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs down Individual Audio System

Any1 else whos got the individual audio system feeling as if it doesnt quite live upto expectations???

Ive had my e92 for just over a year now and have heard the Logic 7 system in an e60, e63 and e92 and find they are much deeper in bass than my e92. I would have thought paying nearly twice as much for the Indi. system over L7 wud not only improve clarity but also prove to be more punchy in lower frequencies...

Looking at the difference in amplifier parts (based upon generic schematics on Realoem) the Indi. Amplifier is a fair bit smaller than the L7... I wud have thought that considering it states the Indi. amp has more power it shud effectively be larger than the L7 one?

Can any1 confirm reasons why the Indi. system in a bit 'weak' when the specs say otherwise?

Thanks in advance
G33 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,990
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
Any1 else whos got the individual audio system feeling as if it doesnt quite live upto expectations???

Ive had my e92 for just over a year now and have heard the Logic 7 system in an e60, e63 and e92 and find they are much deeper in bass than my e92. I would have thought paying nearly twice as much for the Indi. system over L7 wud not only improve clarity but also prove to be more punchy in lower frequencies...

Looking at the difference in amplifier parts (based upon generic schematics on Realoem) the Indi. Amplifier is a fair bit smaller than the L7... I wud have thought that considering it states the Indi. amp has more power it shud effectively be larger than the L7 one?

Can any1 confirm reasons why the Indi. system in a bit 'weak' when the specs say otherwise?

Thanks in advance
Actually, the amplifier body is exactly the same size between the L7 and the Individual Audio.

And even when the Individual Audio is supposed to be more than twice in power than the L7 I also feel that something was missed in the way to the car... but only at low volume. At high volume there's no comparison between the Individual Audio and the L7, the Individual Audio is clearer, louder and more defined than the L7. Which I think that it is the purpose, after all, but it is something that not too many people will be able to appreciate unless they are constantly blasting music in the car.

That's one of the two failures of the Individual Audio for me, the other is the saturated DIRAC processing done to the music, which muffles the voices making them sound like whoever is singing have a piece of cloth in their mouth.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Park828
Lieutenant
 
Drives: f10 535i msprt e60 550i msprt
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Jose CA

Posts: 550
iTrader: (3)

not to thread jack... but is it a direct swap for amplifiers from l7 to indi.? or is there coding to be done... ?
__________________
2011 F10 535i
07 e90 AW Terra Manual, Brushed Aluminium, ZCW, ZPP, ZSP, comfort access, power rear shades, manual side windows shades, PDC, NAV, HD radio, Sirius, 6FL Ipod, 6UH RTTI
97 e36 techno v M3 coupe manual
Park828 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,990
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park828 View Post
not to thread jack... but is it a direct swap for amplifiers from l7 to indi.? or is there coding to be done... ?
The OEM speakers of the L7 are load-incompatible with the Individual Audio OEM amp.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Park828
Lieutenant
 
Drives: f10 535i msprt e60 550i msprt
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Jose CA

Posts: 550
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The OEM speakers of the L7 are load-incompatible with the Individual Audio OEM amp.

the oem l7 is... 2ohms... and indi audio is... 4?

i will be running a/d/s stuff so i'll be fine.

i was just thinking that... since l7 and indi uses fiber... i will get audio from indi amp without coding per say.. or is the system smart enough to know that the indi amp does't belong there and shut down...
__________________
2011 F10 535i
07 e90 AW Terra Manual, Brushed Aluminium, ZCW, ZPP, ZSP, comfort access, power rear shades, manual side windows shades, PDC, NAV, HD radio, Sirius, 6FL Ipod, 6UH RTTI
97 e36 techno v M3 coupe manual
Park828 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,990
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park828 View Post
the oem l7 is... 2ohms... and indi audio is... 4?

i will be running a/d/s stuff so i'll be fine.

i was just thinking that... since l7 and indi uses fiber... i will get audio from indi amp without coding per say.. or is the system smart enough to know that the indi amp does't belong there and shut down...
Just try it and let us know how it works.

Individual Audio speakers are 4ohms, woofers are 7ohms. Woofers less than 7ohms will overheat the OEM amp.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
 
taibanl's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

Posts: 3,431
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Actually, the amplifier body is exactly the same size between the L7 and the Individual Audio.

And even when the Individual Audio is supposed to be more than twice in power than the L7 I also feel that something was missed in the way to the car... but only at low volume. At high volume there's no comparison between the Individual Audio and the L7, the Individual Audio is clearer, louder and more defined than the L7. Which I think that it is the purpose, after all, but it is something that not too many people will be able to appreciate unless they are constantly blasting music in the car.

That's one of the two failures of the Individual Audio for me, the other is the saturated DIRAC processing done to the music, which muffles the voices making them sound like whoever is singing have a piece of cloth in their mouth.
Technic, did you ever RTA your old system? Perhaps the DIRAC is designed to be flat at all selected volumes hence the better sound the louder the volume.
taibanl is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Park828
Lieutenant
 
Drives: f10 535i msprt e60 550i msprt
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Jose CA

Posts: 550
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Just try it and let us know how it works.

Individual Audio speakers are 4ohms, woofers are 7ohms. Woofers less than 7ohms will overheat the OEM amp.
7 ohms? what idiot's choice was that?! damn.. ok so i guess i need to get line converters and use an ext amp for the subs..
__________________
2011 F10 535i
07 e90 AW Terra Manual, Brushed Aluminium, ZCW, ZPP, ZSP, comfort access, power rear shades, manual side windows shades, PDC, NAV, HD radio, Sirius, 6FL Ipod, 6UH RTTI
97 e36 techno v M3 coupe manual
Park828 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,479
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park828 View Post
7 ohms? what idiot's choice was that?! damn.. ok so i guess i need to get line converters and use an ext amp for the subs..
probably the same guy who tested it out initially with 4 ohm woofers
blew them
then decided he needed to lower the power that's going to them AFTER he had subitted the final specs on the amp
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
audio, audiophile, individual, logic 7, system

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST