E90Post
 


jb4store
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein PSS10 vs KW V2 -



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
revlimit
Second Lieutenant
10

 
Drives: E92 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 247
iTrader: (5)

Bilstein PSS10 vs KW V2 -

Does anyone know which of these have the most comfortable ride?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
141

 
lpphreakx06's Avatar
 
Drives: SG 335i E92
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, Wa


Posts: 7,225
iTrader: (25)

I would stay away from KWv2's. I've had them for 40k miles and they offer a comfortable ride since the stiffness is adjustable but they wont last the long haul. Pay a little bit more and go for the blisteins.
__________________

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
revlimit
Second Lieutenant
10

 
Drives: E92 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 247
iTrader: (5)

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
CalBear_335i
Lieutenant
United_States
21

 
CalBear_335i's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA


Posts: 560
iTrader: (18)

I had the Bilstein PSS9 on my E46 M3 and they rode way better than stock, even being fairly dumped..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
studie
Banned
7

 
Drives: E90 335i, 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 416.604.852


Posts: 210
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
I would stay away from KWv2's. I've had them for 40k miles and they offer a comfortable ride since the stiffness is adjustable but they wont last the long haul. Pay a little bit more and go for the blisteins.
+1 Bilstein PSS9's are even better than KWv2.
Just make sure your shock covers don't get stuck and let sand into the shock, the Bilstiens will last you a LONG time.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
revlimit
Second Lieutenant
10

 
Drives: E92 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 247
iTrader: (5)

So I should consider the PSS9 instead of the PSS10?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
21

 
flip4335's Avatar
 
Drives: like it's rented
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: behind the wheel


Posts: 1,832
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlimit View Post
So I should consider the PSS9 instead of the PSS10?
Try looking on HP Autowerks web site for some really good struts/coilover systems:

http://hpashop.com/Coilovers_c174.htm

If you can pull it, TCKline, Moton, or AST would be better for you than Bilsteins...Swift springs will also make a big diff on ride comfort. Creaminz says it all in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=swift+springs
__________________

BMWCCA Member # 414198 Slightly Modded|e90|SGM|6MT|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|Blackline |219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix|AR Catted|Cobb
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
studie
Banned
7

 
Drives: E90 335i, 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 416.604.852


Posts: 210
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
Try looking on HP Autowerks web site for some really good struts/coilover systems:

http://hpashop.com/Coilovers_c174.htm

If you can pull it, TCKline, Moton, or AST would be better for you than Bilsteins...Swift springs will also make a big diff on ride comfort. Creaminz says it all in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=swift+springs
Price difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlimit View Post
So I should consider the PSS9 instead of the PSS10?
Yes considering they were on sale
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
tscdennab
Banned
103

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,811
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Bilsteins are monotube gas pressure dampers and KW V3 are twin-tube. From what I read, the twin-tube dampers ride more confortably compared to monotubes, while monotubes are better for racing.

Also, Bilsteins (at least PSS10) lower the car quite a bit even on the highest settings, you may want to consider this also. Monotubes have generally less shock travel room compared to twin-tubes, because there is a gas reservoir at the base of the shock. This prevents larger ranges of height adjustability.

One other thing is that KW has a 7-post shock absorber testing dyno on which they test and tune all their coilovers. There are very few such dynos in the world, most of which are at F1 teams.

Also, KW equips Mercedes AMG Black series, so they must be quite good.

I would go with KW. I have not read a single review of someone who did not like them (at least at the beginning). But I did read some stories about spring coils binding, etc. But these were old enough to not be an issue with their current stuff.

Last edited by tscdennab; 11-30-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
47

 
Autobahn335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Luxembourg


Posts: 1,599
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Bilsteins are monotube gas pressure dampers and KW V3 are twin-tube. From what I read, the twin-tube dampers ride more confortably compared to monotubes, while monotubes are better for racing.

Also, Bilsteins (at least PSS10) lower the car quite a bit even on the highest settings, you may want to consider this also. Monotubes have generally less shock travel room compared to twin-tubes, because there is a gas reservoir at the base of the shock. This prevents larger ranges of height adjustability.

One other thing is that KW has a 7-post shock absorber testing dyno on which they test and tune all their coilovers. There are very few such dynos in the world, most of which are at F1 teams.

Also, KW equips Mercedes AMG Black series, so they must be quite good.

I would go with KW. I have not read a single review of someone who did not like them (at least at the beginning). But I did read some stories about spring coils binding, etc. But these were old enough to not be an issue with their current stuff.
You may be right, but he was asking about the KW V2, not the V3 which would be on par/maybe better then the PSS10
__________________
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Íhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
studie
Banned
7

 
Drives: E90 335i, 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 416.604.852


Posts: 210
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
You may be right, but he was asking about the KW V2, not the V3 which would be on par/maybe better then the PSS10
Even the KWv3's aren't as good as the PSS10s. When you have the PSS10s dialed in, they are a much better performer on the track.

Had this debate in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518314

Don't get me wrong, KW's are great, but I was turned off when I heard about the chirping noise and cracked/warped parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
ModBargains III
Lieutenant
United_States
15

 
Drives: E92 335i, 135i, E46 M3, 540i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1721 E. Lambert Rd. Unit C, 90631 La Habra, CA


Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

I'm pretty set on KW's, especially V2's since I have them on my personal car. When they're set at a more comfortable setting, they ride very well. That's my personal preference though
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
tscdennab
Banned
103

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,811
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by studie View Post
Even the KWv3's aren't as good as the PSS10s. When you have the PSS10s dialed in, they are a much better performer on the track.

Had this debate in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518314

Don't get me wrong, KW's are great, but I was turned off when I heard about the chirping noise and cracked/warped parts.
In that thread you are trying to sell a set of PSS9 for five months and it seems you still haven't sold them...and someone in that thread had both and likes KW V2 more.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
revlimit
Second Lieutenant
10

 
Drives: E92 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 247
iTrader: (5)

So back to the original question. Which one has a better ride?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #15
studie
Banned
7

 
Drives: E90 335i, 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 416.604.852


Posts: 210
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
In that thread you are trying to sell a set of PSS9 for five months and it seems you still haven't sold them...and someone in that thread had both and likes KW V2 more.
decided to keep them
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #16
Stucks
Major
United_States
35

 
Stucks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montgomery County, MD


Posts: 1,443
iTrader: (7)

All i can say is i highly regret getting kw coilovers. after 5 months, the struts were leaking and the plastic peices on them had began to crack. Wish i had saved up a little more for a pss9/pss10 set of coilovers.
__________________
Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.
Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #17
GaryS
Colonel
29

 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland


Posts: 2,089
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlimit View Post
So back to the original question. Which one has a better ride?
KW has a more comfortable ride. Bilstein is precise, balanced, but hard.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
109

 
gizmo335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio


Posts: 2,907
iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
Wouldn't KW's be warrantied after months for something like that?
__________________
JB4 | Vanguard/Quad burnt tips | Linea Corse | Mtech Front/rear | AFE DCI | H&R Sport + Koni yellow | Umnitza Full LED Angels | Akyrm lip/quad diffuser | Alpine CSL CF Trunklid
See Garage for more
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
Stucks
Major
United_States
35

 
Stucks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montgomery County, MD


Posts: 1,443
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Wouldn't KW's be warrantied after months for something like that?

Yes they are warrantied, but i do not have stock suspension. So i have to buy something in the mean time to put on the car while i send my kw's back. Major inconvenience factor and an unnecessary hassle.
__________________
Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.
Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
revlimit
Second Lieutenant
10

 
Drives: E92 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 247
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucks View Post
Yes they are warrantied, but i do not have stock suspension. So i have to buy something in the mean time to put on the car while i send my kw's back. Major inconvenience factor and an unnecessary hassle.
Besides the defect product, how was the ride?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
Stucks
Major
United_States
35

 
Stucks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montgomery County, MD


Posts: 1,443
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlimit View Post
Besides the defect product, how was the ride?

It was compliant when they first went on the car, but then got worse over time. started hearing new unsettling noises and became very jolting every time i hit an expansion joint/bump in the road.
__________________
Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.
Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
109

 
gizmo335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio


Posts: 2,907
iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
Damn, why didn't you keep your stock suspension? That's exactly why I would never sell mine....you never know...plus I'm on my 3rd suspension.....and plan on doing something different eventually....
__________________
JB4 | Vanguard/Quad burnt tips | Linea Corse | Mtech Front/rear | AFE DCI | H&R Sport + Koni yellow | Umnitza Full LED Angels | Akyrm lip/quad diffuser | Alpine CSL CF Trunklid
See Garage for more
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST