E90Post

Motormavericks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Replacing Inner Tail Bulb e90

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY: Replacing Inner Tail Bulb e90
Published by sn0pea
12-03-2011
DIY: Replacing Inner Tail Bulb e90

This may seem like nonsense to some but I had to figure it out on my own so I figured, why not give some tips to the newbies like me.

For the steps I didn't tak a picture of, refer to Longtran's DIY guide here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4660

Starting:
1. Collect all the materials listed in LongTran's guide above. I would also buy a set of trim removers and pliers if you do not have them or if you can't find a "plug remover". here is what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati...2887045&sr=8-2

2. Ok, so first, open your trunk by pressing your key fob provided to you at the time of your vehicle purchase. If you did not receive a key fob at the time of purchase, you just plain stoopid.

3. Next, Unplug ONLY the top two plugs closest to the light you are looking to replace. This will most likely prove to be difficult even when using two screwdrivers so I recommend buying the trim removal kit listed above. And don't feel bad if you break the plugs, I broke two of them.

4. Locate your taillight

5.1 Follow Longtran's guide above and unscrew the one and only nut on the inside of the taillight
or
5.2 You may be able to leave to screw in and just skip to step 6. It seems possible but I haven't tried it

6. From a picture below you will recognize the back plate of the taillights. Where I placed my thumb in that picture is where you are going to place your thumb

7. Now simultaneously press that clip with your thumb and peel off the back plate of the light

8. From another picture below you wil see the plate and the housing detached

9. Now, simply twist the old bulb 90 degrees and pull up then place the new bulb in.

10. Now test the light and if it works, proceed to reverse these steps

There ya are. Hardest step by far is taking the plugs off. That step probably took me 30min-1 hour with some breaks for frustration and tired arms.

Anyways, hope somebody gets something out of this, it's not difficult at all and it pretty much just follows Longtran's steps with a little extra

Thanks

2006 325i: Matte Black Grills, AG m310 19's (19X8.5et35 & 19X9.5et33 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19), Amber Covers, Magnaflow with black tips, Blacked Emblems, M3 Replica Bumper and Vorsteiner hood!
Tutorial Tools
Attached Images

Comment