E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > SP Lowering Perches [Supreme Power mini review]



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
twofast2s
Private
1
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
If you say so... but it's not what I observe. I had the SP lowering perch installed too, on brand new OE springs. Any settling that has occurred since driving back is 1/16" or less, which is within measuring error. It's been a few weeks now.

In Illlojik's pictures I see almost 1" of drop in the first 24 hours.

Are you guys tightening control arm bolts before resting the car back on the ground?
It looks like you forgot to mention that you have m3 suspension parts installed with non stock struts. You have different parts. Of course they will ride at different height if you start messing with suspension arm. Although the parts are interchangeable, that doesnt mean the specs on them are exactly the same. Infact they are not because why would you change them in the first place if they were 100% same?

Brand new springs may need to settle in for longer if you went up on spring rate. Also, did you put new stock springs in or different but new spring? I bet you if you were to install your stock perch, it'll make ur car sit higher due to the fact that you didn't replace them with OEM stock part that you originally had in ur car.

Only other issue I can come up with is that the main nut that holds the strut shaft wasn't tightened all the way.

Perch itself will lower the car, but once you start to add different susp parts, you lose that reference height. Hope this explains it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
luckyu
Lieutenant
luckyu's Avatar
5
Rep
423
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofast2s View Post
It looks like you forgot to mention that you have m3 suspension parts installed with non stock struts. You have different parts. Of course they will ride at different height if you start messing with suspension arm. Although the parts are interchangeable, that doesnt mean the specs on them are exactly the same. Infact they are not because why would you change them in the first place if they were 100% same?

Brand new springs may need to settle in for longer if you went up on spring rate. Also, did you put new stock springs in or different but new spring? I bet you if you were to install your stock perch, it'll make ur car sit higher due to the fact that you didn't replace them with OEM stock part that you originally had in ur car.

Only other issue I can come up with is that the main nut that holds the strut shaft wasn't tightened all the way.

Perch itself will lower the car, but once you start to add different susp parts, you lose that reference height. Hope this explains it.
I had to carefully read your entire response before realizing that you misunderstood me. I am talking about settling after install. Not the drop that happens as a result of the install.

As you correctly point out, I specifically used the SP perch in combination with a chosen spring and strut mount to achieve a certain height. I achieved almost exactly the height I wanted. From what I measure, the perch lowers the car 0.45" by itself -- if you remove the rubber ring. I think we agree on this.

What we're discussing here is how Illlojik's car "settled" after his install and I thought you were commenting about that. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
__________________
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #25
IllLojik
First Lieutenant
IllLojik's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
344
Posts

 
Drives: .:08 C350 Sport:.
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to IllLojik Send a message via MSN to IllLojik Send a message via Yahoo to IllLojik
Other than the aforementioned settling that occurred after I finished installing, not much settling occurred after the 1st 24-48 hours. Any settling that needed to be done was as mentioned before, due to having the car jacked up for a while.


twofast2s may have a point though regarding your higher spring rates. Even if they have been installed and settled before putting on the SPLPs, they may need a longer period of time to "re-settle" due to being newer and of a higher spring rate. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #26
twofast2s
Private
1
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
I had to carefully read your entire response before realizing that you misunderstood me. I am talking about settling after install. Not the drop that happens as a result of the install.

As you correctly point out, I specifically used the SP perch in combination with a chosen spring and strut mount to achieve a certain height. I achieved almost exactly the height I wanted. From what I measure, the perch lowers the car 0.45" by itself -- if you remove the rubber ring. I think we agree on this.

What we're discussing here is how Illlojik's car "settled" after his install and I thought you were commenting about that. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
haha.. yeah. no worries man. How is the new suspension? any significant change in steering response?

I once had to do a complete engine overhaul on toyota MR2, and ended up having to get stiffer set of springs and struts due to the fact that I added more than 200lbs worth of pipings/intercooler/heat exchanger/etc. all in the back of the car. The car set little too low and ultimately had to mess with the suspension as well.

In your case, 328 is lighter than 335/M3, so if you went with different springs that is stiffer but at OEM height, than you might actually stay at current ride height even if you let it settle in.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #27
luckyu
Lieutenant
luckyu's Avatar
5
Rep
423
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofast2s View Post
haha.. yeah. no worries man. How is the new suspension? any significant change in steering response?
Yes, if you mean turn in. When turning there is no roll in most circumstances, and turn-in response is a little faster, with less delay.

Overall the new suspension is fantastic. It's really good at gliding over bumps instead of just absorbing them. With goflat tires ride quality is benchmark except for one thing -- there is a bouncy up-and-down motion on certain bumps at 30-35 mph. This has always been there with this car.

There are certain roads that tickle the suspension the wrong way and are uncomfortable. But 95% of my routes give a remarkably smooth and pleasurable drive.

Quote:
I once had to do a complete engine overhaul on toyota MR2, and ended up having to get stiffer set of springs and struts due to the fact that I added more than 200lbs worth of pipings/intercooler/heat exchanger/etc. all in the back of the car. The car set little too low and ultimately had to mess with the suspension as well.

In your case, 328 is lighter than 335/M3, so if you went with different springs that is stiffer but at OEM height, than you might actually stay at current ride height even if you let it settle in.
If you use an OE spring that is from a heavier model, the only way to get back down to stock trim is to use the SP perch or reduce stack height.

twofast2s, I still don't know what you mean by settle in. These height changes happen instantly on install. Add more weight, spring deflects more.
__________________
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #28
twofast2s
Private
1
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
Yes, if you mean turn in. When turning there is no roll in most circumstances, and turn-in response is a little faster, with less delay.

Overall the new suspension is fantastic. It's really good at gliding over bumps instead of just absorbing them. With goflat tires ride quality is benchmark except for one thing -- there is a bouncy up-and-down motion on certain bumps at 30-35 mph. This has always been there with this car.

There are certain roads that tickle the suspension the wrong way and are uncomfortable. But 95% of my routes give a remarkably smooth and pleasurable drive.



If you use an OE spring that is from a heavier model, the only way to get back down to stock trim is to use the SP perch or reduce stack height.

twofast2s, I still don't know what you mean by settle in. These height changes happen instantly on install. Add more weight, spring deflects more.

Lucky you for having smooth roads to drive on. I can't lower my car because my car is low enough as is. I would love to try that combo, but will be replacing it once i'm done with my study, so no need to sink in any more money into my current car.

anyways, brand new springs freshly made will "settle" in, after couple of weeks of repeating compressions. However, I guess we need to agree on how much.

The change in height because of the rate settling is only a slight reduction. If you are using spring perch to compensate higher rated spring, then this will give you .5" lower ride height from as suppose to using stock perch. You essentially added spring that increase your ride height and negate it with the perch.

The final stance from both combo is what you have right now. You won't necessarily get car lower even if the springs have not settled in. Very old and heavily use springs lose their compression rate and thus will sit lower, but still not a drastic difference.

I thought you asked the OP about settling in with the perch, which like you said, will happen quickly, but OP's spring was stock and used and what he showed in the final picture is the final height for his car.

For some reason, I thought you wanted to know why your height was only .16" (if i recall correctly) even after adding the perch.

I guess I didn't really know what your were asking..haha.. just like my instructor said to me, "if you can't explain it to your patient, you don't know what you're saying..."
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
luckyu
Lieutenant
luckyu's Avatar
5
Rep
423
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofast2s View Post
Lucky you for having smooth roads to drive on.
That's true, I can imagine the situation in Boston is a little different...

Quote:
anyways, brand new springs freshly made will "settle" in, after couple of weeks of repeating compressions. However, I guess we need to agree on how much.
I was seeing no more than 1/16" (0.06") difference in my ride height measurements, until I changed to new tires. After the new tires went in the height changed, and it does look like some suspension settling may have occurred. (In addition, of course different tires have slightly different diameters.) I will likely measure again today.

I agree that brand new OE springs are supposed "take a set" (sag) a little. I have been watching my ride heights to try to measure sag if it occurs.

Quote:
I thought you asked the OP about settling in with the perch, which like you said, will happen quickly, but OP's spring was stock and used and what he showed in the final picture is the final height for his car.
I would have expected the final height to be the same as the height right after install, or very close. Not 1" different.

Quote:
For some reason, I thought you wanted to know why your height was only .16" (if i recall correctly) even after adding the perch.
Right, my setup is fine. I'm puzzled why you folks are seeing "settling" after installation. I would expect the ride height to go instantly to the new final height.
__________________
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST