E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > fitting time, coil overs v's springs

12-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
mikeouk
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 325D m sport

fitting time, coil overs v's springs

is fitting coil overs a quicker job to replacing just the springs? if so, can anyone tell me roughly how long each job takes? been quoted 3 hours to fit springs, im thinking coil overs are a more straight forward job, am i correct?

BLUE WATER, CORAL RED LEATHER
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
Coils will take longer but not much. The springs are the pain in the rear. The shocks in the rear are easy. But for the springs, you have to take the control arm loose.

The front is easy except for compressing the springs. Putting coils up front would be the same as changing the springs...as far as work.

You could do each corner pretty quick with a lift and if you've done it many times. Depends on other snags. Getting that damn control arm bolt in the rear back in was a pain for me....
      12-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
mikeouk
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 325D m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Coils will take longer but not much. The springs are the pain in the rear. The shocks in the rear are easy. But for the springs, you have to take the control arm loose.

The front is easy except for compressing the springs. Putting coils up front would be the same as changing the springs...as far as work.

You could do each corner pretty quick with a lift and if you've done it many times. Depends on other snags. Getting that damn control arm bolt in the rear back in was a pain for me....
i wont be doing it myself, just wondering if there would be less labour cost involved with coil overs. Ive only ever fitted lowering springs myself and that was years ago to a merc 190, so dont think id attempt this myself

BLUE WATER, CORAL RED LEATHER
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
Well, the info I gave you above should be the same for a shop too.

You really should do it yourself. If I can do it, anyone can. And now that I did it, I can't believe I EVER let someone else do this for me. ESPECIALLY with coils. I had them installed on my car and it was a nightmare getting it right after. If I would have done the install myself, I wouldn't have had to go back to shops constantly trying to get it right.

You really want to know where every bolt is and how it sits. If you use the DIY on here, you can't mess it up. I (as well as many others on here in the suspension section) can help you with any problems.

There really is no techincal difficulty with this. It's just a little time consuming when you've never done it.

Trust me, you will be so much more happy if you do this yourself.