E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > iPhone/iPod Touch - Video Playback with iPod Kit and No Nav

12-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom

Drives: -

iPhone/iPod Touch - Video Playback with iPod Kit and No Nav

Question for the panel:

Asked over on totalMINI but no one can answer it and we don't have a car on site with iPod kit to be able to check this out rght now.

If I connect an iPod Touch/iPhone to the car via iPod kit, will a video still show on the iPod screen? Or will the screen go blank?

I'm hoping to install the iPod kit in my MINI, but mount my iPhone/iPod Touch to an additional guage by the rev counter (I've seen a similar set up using a Tom Tom and am confident that I can make this look good).

I'm attempting to connect the iPhone/iPod Touch to the car using the kit to playback music, and also use the device to play back movies (while stationary of course) and use Navigation app occassionally.

Question is, will the i-screen actually show anything?
I appreciate for nav I might need to disconnect it from the iPod kit - not a problem.
My main concern is movie playback. I know with my USB Y-cable my current iPod still shows movies on the iPod sceen, and I can hear them through the car audio. Just wondering if this is the same with the glovebox iPod kit.

(i.e. Can someone please try playing a movie in the glovebox connected to the ipod kit, and see if the screen cuts out.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Anneka
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom

Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
I had the ipod kit fitted to my e90 and it just showed a BMW logo when it was connected.

Sorry I should have said that it was an ipod classic so not quite the same as what you are asking.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply Boyd, much appreciated. I wonder if it's the same case with the Touch/ iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland

Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

My I pod touch once plugged into the car shows the BMW logo and is "disabled" until taken out again...I have Ipod integration not USB.
      12-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom

Alas, my dreams are shattered but I appreciate the replies.

So in summary the answer is no, with USB and with iPod kit the iPod simply won't play back movies or nav, so no point spending money on it. I just wish there was a better place to keep the iPod than the cupholder, I'm sure I'll find something.

Guess I'll just have to buy a Roadster next year then, maybe a Z4 .
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
chedixon
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: E93 320d Msport

As an ex Z4 owner I can't fault your choice
Still my favourite car I've owned