E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Hawaii > Need advice on scratch repairs!!

12-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
E90wolf
Rep

Drives: 2007 E90

Need advice on scratch repairs!!

New member here

First off It's pathetic the amount of haters there are here on the islands. Can't they just appreciate a nice looking vehicle!!!

Well NEway can someone point me in the right direction in the best way and products to deal with minor to primer deep 3.4 inch scratches.

right now on the minor one i plan on wet sanding with 2000-2500grit and using buffing compound from ACS.

Have no idea yet on the deeper scratches maybe a filler and using the BMW touch up paint?

Thanks guys any advice would be helpful !!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
slippyturtle
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i coupe

My car got keyed from the front passenger fender to the middle of the passenger door at Victoria Ward center on my second week of ownership. Luckily my comprehensive insurance deductible is only $100. I just had it repaired professionally at Central Auto Body, because most of the damage went down to the primer and almost bare metal.

Sorry to hear about your car. I know how it feels. Is your insurance deductible too high for a professional repair to make sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
MB Hawaii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 M3 (spc gray)

If the scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail I would skip the sanding part and just touch up with a very fine brush. Get some thinner to thin up the touch up paint because it's probably too thick and it will give you extra time applying it before gumming up. Unless you really know what you're doing, the sanding can make it much worse. BTW, what color is your car? Metallic paint will not blend very well. If you have white or black is should turn out pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
MediaHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippyturtle View Post
My car got keyed from the front passenger fender to the middle of the passenger door at Victoria Ward center on my second week of ownership. Luckily my comprehensive insurance deductible is only $100. I just had it repaired professionally at Central Auto Body, because most of the damage went down to the primer and almost bare metal.

Sorry to hear about your car. I know how it feels. Is your insurance deductible too high for a professional repair to make sense?
MY CAR GOT KEYED THERE TOO! Fender to fender, left to right. top of trunk..

I have never went back to ward again.
      12-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
slippyturtle
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack328iE92 View Post
MY CAR GOT KEYED THERE TOO! Fender to fender, left to right. top of trunk..

I have never went back to ward again.
Oh god sorry to hear that happened to you too lol. Something about that place... I like the food at Ryans but it's just not worth it sometimes lol. Now if I go there with the 335i I park all the way on the 6th floor, or I just drive my Honda Fit lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
E90wolf
Rep

Drives: 2007 E90

thanks for the tips guys. Sorry to hear about Ward center I work near by I will make sure to stay away from there .or unless I'm driving my wifes car :P

thanks again guys appreciate the advise

Wolf
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
MediaHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: everyday

I'm not an expert on touch up paint, but if you need shop recommendations, I have few. Any body work I need done, is always through the same guy. Pricey, but he makes it look new.