E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Sticky vanos: code p1554



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
jumpman86
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
273
Posts

 
Drives: bmw M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: anywhere

iTrader: (3)

Sticky vanos: code p1554 - Dirty Oil??

Has anyone had this code before? It's not that common and I have a 2006 330i. I just dropped my car at the dealer and They will be cleaning it and swap it with the other side and see if it comes back.


I am wondeirng its due to the 15,000 miles oil change. Do you guys the oil may get dirty and cause the vanos module to stick? I waited 15,000 to get my oil changed and then a week after the oil was changed, then it threw a code.

It may not be correlated but wanted to see what you guys think.


Let me know if anyone else experienced the same.

Thanks.

Last edited by jumpman86; 01-27-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
235
Rep
18,815
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

I had it. It actually happened twice, and the dealer replaced the vanos solenoid if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
pp.jordan
New Member
1
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 325i (E90)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

My 2006 325i has P1553 and P1554. Would you please tell me how much does it cost to get it fixed? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman86 View Post
Has anyone had this code before? It's not that common and I have a 2006 330i. I just dropped my car at the dealer and They will be cleaning it and swap it with the other side and see if it comes back.

Let me know if anyone else experienced the same.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
jumpman86
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
273
Posts

 
Drives: bmw M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: anywhere

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp.jordan View Post
My 2006 325i has P1553 and P1554. Would you please tell me how much does it cost to get it fixed? Thanks.
I am not sure how much it cost since it did not state how long they took to perform the task.

I dropped the car off at 9:30 and was ready by 11:30 so it probably took them less than 1.5 hrs to do the cleaning and swap.

Mine was covered under the cpo but I would think that they can give you a verbal estimation if you tell them the engine code and issue.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
jumpman86
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
273
Posts

 
Drives: bmw M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: anywhere

iTrader: (3)

bump
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
uncle ben
Private
uncle ben's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

I'm at the dealership today for the exact same thing.They are swapping sides and will wait for the fault to return. Wish they could just fix it the first time i take my car in.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i, AP1
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

what are the noticeable symptoms for this? or is it solely/always a code?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
wareagle900
Banned
17
Rep
413
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South East Alabama

iTrader: (0)

I had it, i changed the oil and it went away...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
rusty_g80
Private First Class
1
Rep
121
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Old thread, but has anyone else experienced this code. If so what was the solution and how much did it cost to fix?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Cir14
Private First Class
1
Rep
107
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328xi Montego Blue Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ambler pa

iTrader: (0)

I had an exhaust valve solenoid replaced awhile back; I'll double check my records to see if the code you mentioned is what caused my SES. It was ~$400 with an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
103
Rep
7,090
Posts

 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
As far as i remember the sticking vanos code does not throw the SES light.

I had my intake side throwing a code, I pulled a BMW specific code though not a p code. Anyway I told my dealer that my vanos solenoids were sticking and they replace them under my CPO warranty. Didn't clean or swap them, though they know I know what's usually up with my car. I normally tell them what to fix and they don't really diagnose it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
StickMon's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,460
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MR
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lo-Cal

iTrader: (0)

Camshaft timing

I took my 2006 Z4M to my mechanic for tires. He said it sounded like something was wrong with the vanos. Was running fine, but making a diesel-like ticking. He was working on an M3 and had the vanos off. It had sheared off 2 bolts and partly through the other 4 that hold the vanos gear spline on the end flange of the intake camshaft. Sure enough, mine had sheared off 3 bolts and was 1/2 way through the other 3.
Just got it back tonight, and it felt sluggish. Fine at idle and cruise, and under moderate acceleration, but it would bog if I pushed the loud pedal more than 1/2 way.
A mile from home it set P1553. Took it back. He'll look at it tomorrow.
I think he has the timing off on one or both of the camshafts.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #13
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
StickMon's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,460
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MR
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lo-Cal

iTrader: (0)

Camshaft timing

Update:
Mechanic confirms that code is "Intake camshaft out of position with crankshaft", but he was swamped and didn't get to work on it today ($"!+).
I'm going to venture that P1554 is same thing, but exhaust camshaft.
If you're getting either or both of these, may be a sign of timing chain problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
msauceda
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330i 2006
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: El Cajon, CA

iTrader: (0)

I got the same code (P1554) and I decided to go to the dealer and they told me that it was in fact the Vanos Solenoid, they said they didn't replace it, they only cleaned it.

My car was not running smooth on idle.

It was $180 to diagnose.

It's running normal now. They said that if I keep getting the same code that they would have to replace both Solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
103
Rep
7,090
Posts

 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauceda View Post
I got the same code (P1554) and I decided to go to the dealer and they told me that it was in fact the Vanos Solenoid, they said they didn't replace it, they only cleaned it.

My car was not running smooth on idle.

It was $180 to diagnose.

It's running normal now. They said that if I keep getting the same code that they would have to replace both Solenoids.
Wow, they charged you $180 to blow shop air through the solenoids. That's their method of cleaning. And both solenoids can be removed from the N52 in under 15 minutes.

I really hope that's not the normal diag fee for your dealer....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Wow, they charged you $180 to blow shop air through the solenoids. That's their method of cleaning. And both solenoids can be removed from the N52 in under 15 minutes.

I really hope that's not the normal diag fee for your dealer....
Bumping this thread for some info.

I have removed and cleaned the solenoids in my engine after finding shadow codes. They went back in after I cleaned with compressed air and throttle body cleaner and dried off completely. They were brand new looking.

My question is...When you have these codes implying that one or both of the solenoids may be bad, what are the symptoms? Has anyone had new ones instaleld and noticed what the difference is between bad and good ones?

I have been getting very low mileage and engine hasnt been running as smoothly. I have not gotten one CEL only shadow codes. After resetting ecu and adaptations its smoother then comes back.

BEfore I spend 200 dollars for new solenoids I would like to know other people's experience with these solenoids. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #17
FilipC
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E61 N52 2006
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Any updates? did you end up buying the new solenoids? if so, what was the difference?

I just got P1554 1000 km after an oil change and cleared it, the car was running perfectly fine. One week later I got yellow engine light on with the same code again but after driving the car for an hour or so, the light just went off (I still checked the code and it indeed was the p1554).

Not sure what to do with it? the car runs fine, normal fuel efficiency but when I open the hood, I can hear "ticking" coming from the cilinder head but i just assume it's normal. Not sure if I should take it to the dealer or just clean it like you guys did and see what happens then.

Is there a DIY on how to clean the solenoids on N52? someone has mentioned it only takes 15 mins to take them out ...?

Any help, comments much appreciated!!

Thanks guys!

(the car is 530xi, 2006 with 95k km on it, I put fresh Amsoil 5W30 XL in it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Bumping this thread for some info.

I have removed and cleaned the solenoids in my engine after finding shadow codes. They went back in after I cleaned with compressed air and throttle body cleaner and dried off completely. They were brand new looking.

My question is...When you have these codes implying that one or both of the solenoids may be bad, what are the symptoms? Has anyone had new ones instaleld and noticed what the difference is between bad and good ones?

I have been getting very low mileage and engine hasnt been running as smoothly. I have not gotten one CEL only shadow codes. After resetting ecu and adaptations its smoother then comes back.

BEfore I spend 200 dollars for new solenoids I would like to know other people's experience with these solenoids. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipC View Post
Any updates? did you end up buying the new solenoids? if so, what was the difference?

I just got P1554 1000 km after an oil change and cleared it, the car was running perfectly fine. One week later I got yellow engine light on with the same code again but after driving the car for an hour or so, the light just went off (I still checked the code and it indeed was the p1554).

Not sure what to do with it? the car runs fine, normal fuel efficiency but when I open the hood, I can hear "ticking" coming from the cilinder head but i just assume it's normal. Not sure if I should take it to the dealer or just clean it like you guys did and see what happens then.

Is there a DIY on how to clean the solenoids on N52? someone has mentioned it only takes 15 mins to take them out ...?

Any help, comments much appreciated!!

Thanks guys!

(the car is 530xi, 2006 with 95k km on it, I put fresh Amsoil 5W30 XL in it)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=vanos
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
_anttii
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 530i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

I am in the exact same situation with a 2005 530i (190kW).

I got a yellow engine warning light about two weeks ago. I had the error code read (P1554) and cleared. The ligth stayed off for some days and about 300km and came back. I had my car at BMW service today and they said the intake camshaft position sensor needs to be changed. I would have had the sensor changed if they had had the part.

They gave me the part numbers (13627525014 for the sensor and 12141748398 for an o-ring) and I'm considering changing them by myself.

For now I will wait if the light would stay away this time. I'm not that worried as I have not noticed any other change in the car than the light.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
talisman311
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

I kept getting p1553 and p1554 issues on my original head. Turns out the camshaft bearing ledge was improperly cast and the camshaft wore a groove into it. Covered under warranty but my head was eventually replaced anyway for ticking noises.
__________________
2006 e90 330i | Black/Terra | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #21
_anttii
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 530i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

I have the warning light on again. The intake camshaft sensor will be changed by BMW service on thursday.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #22
blingman
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
311
Posts

 
Drives: 3er
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Im getting p1553 and car wouldnt even idle for over couple seconds. Start, get really rough idle and car would die. Im surprise your getting code 1554 and still able to drive still.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST