E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Video of Xdrive in action



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
4corners
8
Captain
 
4corners's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Yucca Valley, CA - Kelowna, BC

Posts: 803
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Ford E350 4x4  [2.75]
Video of Xdrive in action

Does anyone have a video camera that will do super slow motion? Attach it to the back bumper under the car, with all four tires in the frame. Do some takeoffs on a slippery surface, and lets see how the system responds.

A thin layer of sand on concrete would be good. Yes, the power goes front to back, but since the axles are not solid, the differential allows the wheels to act on their own.

In loose dirt in my xi, I can feel the power switch around to all four corners as needed.
4corners is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
fdriller9
70
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC

Posts: 7,090
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
This would be very interesting. I do have a camera that could do this but I'm not about to strap a $1000 camera under my car. lol

Idk if you know this but EBD, Electronic Brake Distribution, handles side to side power. Well not really handles the power, it just applies the brakes to the corner that is slipping to slow it down. Both sides get the same amount of power.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
4corners
8
Captain
 
4corners's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Yucca Valley, CA - Kelowna, BC

Posts: 803
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Ford E350 4x4  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
This would be very interesting. I do have a camera that could do this but I'm not about to strap a $1000 camera under my car. lol

Idk if you know this but EBD, Electronic Brake Distribution, handles side to side power. Well not really handles the power, it just applies the brakes to the corner that is slipping to slow it down. Both sides get the same amount of power.
Do the GoPro do slomo?

10/4 on the side to side action.
4corners is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
fdriller9
70
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC

Posts: 7,090
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
Do the GoPro do slomo?

10/4 on the side to side action.
Not sure of the gopro camera stats. I'm sure you can slow down a clip with software though.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
ExpensiveTaste
7
Poor Kid with Dreams
 
ExpensiveTaste's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Danbury, CT

Posts: 702
iTrader: (4)

Last year during one of the big snow storms, I tried to get up my driveway with 12" plus of snow on it and the car got half way up and the body got caught in the snow. I suddenly felt the car start to "waddle" back and forth from side to side trying to get traction. It kind of looked like a turtle slowly moving forward.
__________________

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles
ExpensiveTaste is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
4corners
8
Captain
 
4corners's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Yucca Valley, CA - Kelowna, BC

Posts: 803
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Ford E350 4x4  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpensiveTaste View Post
Last year during one of the big snow storms, I tried to get up my driveway with 12" plus of snow on it and the car got half way up and the body got caught in the snow. I suddenly felt the car start to "waddle" back and forth from side to side trying to get traction. It kind of looked like a turtle slowly moving forward.
Mine did the same thing in some sand. Didn't get stuck though! Leave it to the German's to make a car that's a tortoise and a hare.
4corners is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST