E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Exhaust Mod Options?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
richpike
Captain
 
Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CO - 6500ft ASL

Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)

Exhaust Mod Options?

Hi Guys,

I'd like to get a little throatier sound out of my 335 (2010 E90 Auto if that makes a difference). I've done a ton of searching, but the main mod (short of an exhaust swap) that comes up is the golf tee mod. I've tried that and didn't notice any difference. I've also looked at the muffler delete, but think that might be a touch too loud. I'd like something in between and wanted to see if there was an option I am missing before going down the new exhaust path.

TIA.
Rich
richpike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
F82_SID
Brigadier General
 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

Posts: 3,061
iTrader: (2)

Are you sure you did the golf tee mod correctly? Did you cut and plug the vacume tube or did you disconnect the electronic plug in the back? If you did it right you should see a very noticeable difference in sound on cold starts and under acceleration.
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
F82_SID is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
richpike
Captain
 
Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CO - 6500ft ASL

Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Are you sure you did the golf tee mod correctly? Did you cut and plug the vacume tube or did you disconnect the electronic plug in the back? If you did it right you should see a very noticeable difference in sound on cold starts and under acceleration.
I think I did it right . I did it by unplugging the connector. Should I try it with the "real" golf tee? I had done it on my previous E90 (330) and didn't notice much on it either, but it was not dual exhaust like the 335.

Thanks,
Rich
richpike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
richpike
Captain
 
Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CO - 6500ft ASL

Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpike View Post
I think I did it right . I did it by unplugging the connector. Should I try it with the "real" golf tee? I had done it on my previous E90 (330) and didn't notice much on it either, but it was not dual exhaust like the 335.

Thanks,
Rich
I tried it again this weekend and I just don't notice that big of a difference. I also checked and the flap stays open once the car is warmed up (I plugged back in the wire and looked at the car running after it was warmed up and the flap was open), so it doesn't help except on cold starts and the first few minutes of driving.

Regardless, thanks for the idea. Any other thoughts? Has anyone tried hollowing out their mufflers/resonators? Not sure if that even makes sense on our cars, but thought I'd check. Probably a dumb question, but do tips make any difference?

Rich
richpike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

Posts: 2,585
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpike View Post
I tried it again this weekend and I just don't notice that big of a difference. I also checked and the flap stays open once the car is warmed up (I plugged back in the wire and looked at the car running after it was warmed up and the flap was open), so it doesn't help except on cold starts and the first few minutes of driving.

Regardless, thanks for the idea. Any other thoughts? Has anyone tried hollowing out their mufflers/resonators? Not sure if that even makes sense on our cars, but thought I'd check. Probably a dumb question, but do tips make any difference?

Rich
Tips wont change it much. You will either need new downpipes, removal of resonators, or a new catback system. Nothing small will change it enough to make it a bit louder or deeper.
__________________
E92 Space Gray 335i - COBB, BMW Performance Exhaust (stock tips), style 230 rims, LUX H8 AE's
Dackz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
richpike
Captain
 
Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CO - 6500ft ASL

Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
Tips wont change it much. You will either need new downpipes, removal of resonators, or a new catback system. Nothing small will change it enough to make it a bit louder or deeper.
That's what I was afraid of, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. BMWPE it is!

Thanks,
Rich
richpike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

Posts: 2,585
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpike View Post
That's what I was afraid of, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. BMWPE it is!

Thanks,
Rich
Believe me, you will love it. The tips you might not like (I sure didnt) but the sound is amazing but never intrusive. Its not cheap but IMO it sounds the best. Just beware that the sound would change on the car if you go with DP's later. For this reason, I wont ever put DP's on, as I love the sound of the exhaust too much, its just 'perfect'
__________________
E92 Space Gray 335i - COBB, BMW Performance Exhaust (stock tips), style 230 rims, LUX H8 AE's
Dackz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
F82_SID
Brigadier General
 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

Posts: 3,061
iTrader: (2)

Get a V8! Problem solved!
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
F82_SID is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

Posts: 2,585
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Get a V8! Problem solved!
I like my ~25 mpg around town town/highway mix. I really like my 30mpg on the highway, and I like being faster then M3's

No, lets not go back down to lower elevations for that argument.
__________________
E92 Space Gray 335i - COBB, BMW Performance Exhaust (stock tips), style 230 rims, LUX H8 AE's
Dackz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
raceyBMW
king of the hills
 
raceyBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
E90 has a mid-pipe resonator whereas the E92 only has an x-pipe. This makes quite a difference in the sound after the golf-tee mod is done...I did it to an E90 335i (N54) loaner once (ssshhh, don't tell) and noticed it didn't make much difference.

I think you can cut out the muffler as long as you leave the resonator in there and it should sound pretty good...might also be able to cut out the resonator and just do an x-pipe install and should make it more throaty.

Tips won't do anything.
raceyBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
richpike
Captain
 
Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CO - 6500ft ASL

Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Get a V8! Problem solved!
Ha! I hate to admit it, but everytime I hear a Mustang GT my heart skips a beat. I'd buy a new 5.0 one in a heart beat if my wife would let me Having said that, I still think, for where we live, the 335 is the perfect combination of power, refinement, style, reliability, value, tunability, etc, etc. The only thing that comes close (IMHO) is a B8 S4.

-Rich
richpike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #12
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

Posts: 2,585
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
E90 has a mid-pipe resonator whereas the E92 only has an x-pipe. This makes quite a difference in the sound after the golf-tee mod is done...I did it to an E90 335i (N54) loaner once (ssshhh, don't tell) and noticed it didn't make much difference.

I think you can cut out the muffler as long as you leave the resonator in there and it should sound pretty good...might also be able to cut out the resonator and just do an x-pipe install and should make it more throaty.

Tips won't do anything.
Totally forgot about the x-pipe, but the PE comes with the x-pipe on the sedan, as where on the coupe its just the mufflers.

I did the golf-tee to mine and I didnt think it did very much, hence going with the PE.
__________________
E92 Space Gray 335i - COBB, BMW Performance Exhaust (stock tips), style 230 rims, LUX H8 AE's
Dackz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
richpike
Captain
 
Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CO - 6500ft ASL

Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
E90 has a mid-pipe resonator whereas the E92 only has an x-pipe. This makes quite a difference in the sound after the golf-tee mod is done...I did it to an E90 335i (N54) loaner once (ssshhh, don't tell) and noticed it didn't make much difference.

I think you can cut out the muffler as long as you leave the resonator in there and it should sound pretty good...might also be able to cut out the resonator and just do an x-pipe install and should make it more throaty.

Tips won't do anything.
I wonder what replacing the mid pipe resonator with an x-pipe would do to the sound. Thanks for the insight!

Rich
richpike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
ar design
 
ar design's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 325ES+S50, '01 TT QC
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 4,408
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ar design Send a message via MSN to ar design Send a message via Yahoo to ar design
Catless downpipes will give the car a throatier sound without creating drone, give me a call and we can discuss some options for you!
ar design is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST