E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Falken fk452 quick review on 335i!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #67
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
38

 
parapaul's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent


Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
The fact all the values are green is a good indication

I think 1000 miles is a bit much, but definitely 2-300 to scrub off the release agent.

If you're in a pre-LCI car, set your pressures 0.1 bar ABOVE what's on the door sticker.
__________________
Just how many Yorkshire sheep can you fit inside one exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #68
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
The fact all the values are green is a good indication

I think 1000 miles is a bit much, but definitely 2-300 to scrub off the release agent.

If you're in a pre-LCI car, set your pressures 0.1 bar ABOVE what's on the door sticker.
Yeah i know clutching at straws lol. well the tyres are on 250 so have to wait and see. im on 36 f & 38 r. Ive always felt underneath the issues theres a great handling car. when i took it to sytner last time they said its pulling to the left and has heavy steering. they advise i have kds. those results are from chemix. noticed on the invoice 2 months previous which was for steering wheel off centre that sytner had done:

Electronic chassis measurement with height
fr axle (track) adjt-kds

notice kds mentioned but then wanted to do another kds for 280 when it went in last time?????
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #69
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
26

 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK


Posts: 2,366
iTrader: (0)

shop around for a KDS, many place will just charge you a flat rate..

i got it done in Swansea once for 100.. and i think others have had it done cheaper..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #70
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Ive just had kds done see results on page . are you saying i should try another place? Sometimes wish id just bought a mk5 gti lol.
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #71
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
26

 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK


Posts: 2,366
iTrader: (0)

sorry, i thought you were having a groan that the dealer wanted to rob you of another 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonSI View Post
notice kds mentioned but then wanted to do another kds for 280 when it went in last time?????
my mistake.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #72
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
No probs mate lol
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #73
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
82

 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonSI View Post
Please can someone take a look at the attached kds read out for my car. My father reckons theres nothing wrong with it and il have to wait at least 1000 miles for the falken to bed in.
Carbon,

Looking at those you have very little rear toe in (which will make the car more twitchy).

I had mine set up a Car Planet Racing in Warrington, we set my rear toe-in to 0.05' (down from factory 0.20') which made it the same as the M3 settings (M3 is 0.05' toe-in front and rear)

It livened up my car tremendously, making it much quicker turning and more sensitive to steering inputs.

Your rear toe-in is 0.04' and 0.06' which, although in spec (apparently) is right at the twitchy end of the scale IMO.

I'll dig out my alignment report to see if the spec figures are the same as yours (I have a 2009 E91 M sport)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #74
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
90

 
zltm089's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON


Posts: 7,416
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Carbon,

Looking at those you have very little rear toe in (which will make the car more twitchy).

I had mine set up a Car Planet Racing in Warrington, we set my rear toe-in to 0.05' (down from factory 0.20') which made it the same as the M3 settings (M3 is 0.05' toe-in front and rear)

It livened up my car tremendously, making it much quicker turning and more sensitive to steering inputs.

Your rear toe-in is 0.04' and 0.06' which, although in spec (apparently) is right at the twitchy end of the scale IMO.

I'll dig out my alignment report to see if the spec figures are the same as yours (I have a 2009 E91 M sport)
would be quite interesting to see your one Mike....will the spec be the same for the e92?
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #75
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Carbon,

Looking at those you have very little rear toe in (which will make the car more twitchy).

I had mine set up a Car Planet Racing in Warrington, we set my rear toe-in to 0.05' (down from factory 0.20') which made it the same as the M3 settings (M3 is 0.05' toe-in front and rear)

It livened up my car tremendously, making it much quicker turning and more sensitive to steering inputs.

Your rear toe-in is 0.04' and 0.06' which, although in spec (apparently) is right at the twitchy end of the scale IMO.

I'll dig out my alignment report to see if the spec figures are the same as yours (I have a 2009 E91 M sport)
ah right i see so the rears might be pointing slightly out too much. the only things that
worry me is that other si owners ive messaged say that theres is fine and i presume theres wud be within spec
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #76
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
82

 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Being 'in spec' and being 'spot on' are two different things. The ranges on those Chemix figures are HUGE and twice the range on the machine I used at CPR.

The model name on my report is "E91 Low ride sports, 08 on LCI", ranges are much tighter than yours:

Front toe range: 0.05' to 0.09' (i.e mid point 0.07')
Rear toe range: 0.07' to 0.11' (i.e. mid point 0.09')

The guys at Car Planet Racing always set the car at EXACTLY in the centre of the spec band, not just somewhere in the range.

If you are near the edge of tolerance bands, especially in opposite directions, the effects will be quite noticeable, but still 'in spec' to BMW etc.

Last edited by doughboy; 12-19-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #77
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Being 'in spec' and being 'spot on' are two different things. The ranges on those Chemix figures are HUGE and twice the range on the machine I used at CPR.

The model name on my report is "E91 Low ride sports, 08 on LCI", ranges are much tighter than yours:

Front toe range: 0.05' to 0.09' (i.e mid point 0.07')
Rear toe range: 0.07' to 0.11' (i.e. mid point 0.09')

The guys at Car Planet Racing always set the car at EXACTLY in the centre of the spec band, not just somewhere in the range.

If you are near the edge of tolerance bands, especially in opposite directions, the effects will be quite noticeable, but still 'in spec' to BMW etc.
Thanks doughboh for the info. Would never of realised that. I want my car properly setup,read that chemix use hunter machines but bmw use the hunter kds2 hawk eye witj special bmw software. Maybe i should bight the bullett and go to the stealer unless someone knows of a bmw tuner in the west mids region??
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #78
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
82

 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Si,

The Chemix Hunter machine is fine - it's the operator that makes all the difference.

Did they adjust your car or just take readings as-is? The centre/ideal figures between mine and your chart were similar, so the 'ideal' spec is almost the same, but the tolerances were much wider on your chart and they've left them pretty wide of the mark.

Usually you'll pay extra labour to make adjustments, so its up to you if you want to leave it just 'in spec' or do you want them to adjust it to be bang on? I used a Hunter place once in Manchester, and they wanted 50 to check plus 50 for adjustment if necessary.

If they've adjusted it but left it so wide of the centre figures, then they've been a bit lazy IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #79
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Si,

The Chemix Hunter machine is fine - it's the operator that makes all the difference.

Did they adjust your car or just take readings as-is? The centre/ideal figures between mine and your chart were similar, so the 'ideal' spec is almost the same, but the tolerances were much wider on your chart and they've left them pretty wide of the mark.

Usually you'll pay extra labour to make adjustments, so its up to you if you want to leave it just 'in spec' or do you want them to adjust it to be bang on? I used a Hunter place once in Manchester, and they wanted 50 to check plus 50 for adjustment if necessary.

If they've adjusted it but left it so wide of the centre figures, then they've been a bit lazy IMO.
Hi doughboy

They weighted it and took the reading for 15. The chap then said its within spec and doesnt need adjusting. seems like he didnt really know what he was doing??

Just phoned sytner and learnt they did do a full alignment in april but then in june advised i get it done again. seems that even bmw cant fix it. but then doughboy reckons my settings arent spot on so think i shud get it alighned again at an indy.
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.

Last edited by carbonSI; 12-20-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #80
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
50

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region


Posts: 4,559
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Being 'in spec' and being 'spot on' are two different things.

...

If you are near the edge of tolerance bands, especially in opposite directions, the effects will be quite noticeable, but still 'in spec' to BMW etc.
Totally agree, in spec' can still mean a car that doesn't run straight and true.

I'd also want to see a 0.0 on the thrust angle. For me an alignment where that dimension is off centre even by the smallest amount, isn't a good alignment. The rear must be true to get a car running straight, without a side to side bias. Any rear error will soon show itself across different and mixed road cambers.

Plus, even if a print out looks very good but the car doesn't run true, there is still something adrift and may need revisiting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #81
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
50

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region


Posts: 4,559
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonSI View Post
Just phoned sytner and learnt they did do a full alignment in april but then in june advised i get it done again.
Why did they say it needed another, was it the way it drives?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #82
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Why did they say it needed another, was it the way it drives?

HighlandPete
Yes HighlandPete, it went originally in April to have the steering wheel put straight, this is when sytner did a full alignment (just said kds fr axle adjust with height on paperwork). I then took the car back in june time saying the steering still feels slack/free play possibly pump??They said that it was fine but when driving it pulls to the left and your front wheels are buckled (recommended i have full alignment 280, which they already did few months previous!!)

I then had chemix do an alignment (no issue, said ditch run flats). Then i changed to non rfts thinking that would solve the issue but it still seems to wander, slack steering. Got no confidence in it, although ride with falkens is much improved.
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #83
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
43

 
phil200tdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aylesbury


Posts: 2,631
iTrader: (1)

Sounds like a real expert/specialist is required. Ive heard only good things about wheels in motion in Chesham, Bucks:

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/

I can't see where you are (iPhone app), but this is where I'd go!!
__________________
Car: 2010 Jaguar XFR (Stock - For now)
Gone but not forgotten: Highly Modified E90 335i LCI M Sport Manual (circa 480BHP/500lb ft)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #84
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
50

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region


Posts: 4,559
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Sounds like a real expert/specialist is required. Ive heard only good things about wheels in motion in Chesham, Bucks:

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/
carbon SI

I agree that you probably need a bit more than a 'to the book' alignment, you need someone like Tony Bones (WIM) who will look laterally at your problem, and tune the geometry to solve your issues. May be something very simple, like toe settings.

I had the loose feel on RFTs, and thought the steering was suspect, both my dealer and I inspected the front suspension and steering parts, could find nothing wrong. I even suspected the steering rack was faulty. The garage knew the steering feeling was wrong and did tweak the front toe settings, which on RFTs didn't completely eliminate it. But once on to normal rubber the car became directionally precise again. And has stayed that way on different sets of tyres. So it could be just the subtle changes that sort the issue.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #85
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Thanks to all the info people have provided its been a great insight to my issue. Think il stop posting on this thread for now while i look into a specialist/tuner to sort the chassis problem. Will post the results!
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #86
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Back again lol

Just waiting for a company in warwickshire called centre gravity to come back to me on some prices for setting the car up.

In the mean time, was reading a few other forums and they reckon after 50k (mines 59k) the bushes are knackered and need replacing. How much would an indy charge to replace, would guess the real chunk would be labour as the parts are cheap...

Anyone replaced these parts?

Last edited by carbonSI; 12-23-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #87
carbonSI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
carbonSI's Avatar
 
Drives: carbon black 320si
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Black Country


Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Anyone had to replace these parts on an e90 with around 60k on the clock??
__________________
Carbon Black 320si, Dakota lemon leather, Bluetooth, Falken FK452's.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #88
p1tse
Lieutenant
8

 
Drives: Need more space
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: England


Posts: 551
iTrader: (2)

Kds is?
__________________
iDrive Pro Sat Nav with a mind of its own!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST