E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Adjust Koni Yellow Rear Struts

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY - Adjust Koni Yellow Rear Struts
Published by lE92l
11-22-2011
DIY - Adjust Koni Yellow Rear Struts

Spent some time looking for instructions on how to adjust Koni Yellow Rear Struts and had some trouble finding any visual instructions. Now that I did it thought I would share for anyone who might need to adjust them.

Tools needed to adjust strut:
- Vise
- 6mm hex wrench

1. Remove shocks use LongTrans instructions they are very clear and pretty easy. Best thing is that I did not need to realign the car afterward with his instructions:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721

2. Once you have the strut out remove the dust cover and bump top off of the strut by just simply sliding everything up. Remember how it was put back together and in which order.

3. Take the bottom 17mm nut and screw it back on the bottom of the strut. Just enough as your hand tightening lets you and put the nut on the vise and tighten the vise on the nut.

Once you have the nut tightened on vise grab the strut and turn it until you screw the nut all the way up to as high as it can and just slightly tighten.

4. Using the 6mm hex wrench on top of strut and fully compress the strut.

5. Once it is fully compressed then its time to adjust keep some pressure on it but no need for over pressure.

- First after fully compressed twist the strut counterclockwise until you feel a slight lock. You will feel it plus it will not let you turn it anymore in that direction. Mines was on FULL SOFT so it was not even 10% of a turn.

- Now to make the strut firmer, after you feel the lock and it cannot turn anymore counterclockwise you are on FULL SOFT, if you turn clockwise it will take you about 2.5 turns to reach FULL STIFF. I went to FULL STIFF as a reassurance I was in the right mode.

- I left it at about 75% of a a full turn from FULL STIFF to FULL SOFT so half a turn and a quarter. I am very happy with the ride honestly I think is alot better than stock and I dont feel like the car is dropped or bouncy whatsover. I am running H&R Sport Sprints and Koni Yellow Front Shocks and Rear Struts obviously . Dont think the ride is harsh at all. The fronts I have at 1.5 turns from FULL SOFT to FULL STIFF.

On a side note I had a notion that to compress the strut I would need an incredible amount of force I was really surprised that almost no force was needed just a steady amount until it compress.

Official Instructions from Koni:

http://www.koni-na.com/comp.cfm

Hope this helps

IG: le92l / 09 E92 M3 SSII /KW Sleeve Kit/JL Motoring Perf Spoiler & A Style Front Lip/ K&N Filter
Tutorial Tools
By PSI Power on 01-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Great info.
Thank You.
Comment