E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 335iS Thread - [ Owners Only ]



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #1387
texxy
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: somewhere

Posts: 386
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
Yea for the 1st 2k miles you shouldnt redline or cross 100mph there are alot of debates on the forum about breaking in a new car.
I would rather break it in to save problems from arising...just my 2 cents
texxy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #1388
tres
Major
 
tres's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: maryland

Posts: 1,328
iTrader: (6)





Quote:
Originally Posted by texxy View Post
I would rather break it in to save problems from arising...just my 2 cents
__________________
Member #431510
oem perf cf spoiler and front lip/m3strut brace/m3 subframe bushings/wavetrac lsd/ TMS solid diff bushings/MR adjustable toe arms/MR adjustable upper link/full m3 suspension/ecs tuning ss brake lines/GC coilovers./CPE dci's,catless dp,intercooler,charge pipe bov/BMS OCC/tuningtechfs tuned/RB pcv valve/defiv diff lockdownkit
tres is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #1389
SMED
BMW Veteran
 
SMED's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 335i M Perf. Ed & 13 X6 35i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC Canada

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Hey Guys,
Just picked up my White 2012 335is DCT Coupe last week. I am doing the stage 2 Dinan software upgrade to the car but.... should I wait to the so called break in (2000Km) to install it or just install it right away?.... Thoughts


SMED is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #1390
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,945
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlega View Post
Hey Guys,
Just picked up my White 2012 335is DCT Coupe last week. I am doing the stage 2 Dinan software upgrade to the car but.... should I wait to the so called break in (2000Km) to install it or just install it right away?.... Thoughts


Yes wait for the break in period to pass first before flashing to Dinan S2.
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #1391
SMED
BMW Veteran
 
SMED's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 335i M Perf. Ed & 13 X6 35i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC Canada

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Yes wait for the break in period to pass first before flashing to Dinan S2.
Did most of the 335is owners/you follow the manual and not drive over the 4500 RPM for the break in period?
SMED is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #1392
Edward
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,325
iTrader: (0)

I broke mine in properly. My last 3 series I didnt break in at all and it was fine.

Good thing is that there's plenty of fun to be had to 4500 rpm.
Edward is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #1393
Tag
Colonel
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (2)

Do any of you know how long after the initial 7 sec torque burst that the car will allow for another? Is it after a certain amount of time, range of driving or something else? I haven't experimented enough to try to figure it out.
Tag is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #1394
TurboSid
Colonel
 
TurboSid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW 335is Coupe DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,185
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
i believe it goes by distance
__________________


2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT [CURRENT]
2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD]
2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
TurboSid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #1395
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
 
Yodaime's Avatar
 
Drives: Banh Xeo
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 3,399
iTrader: (12)

Overboost doesn't form with my car nomore. JB4 took over EVERYTHING LOL! But I do notice when you do launch control with DCT It seems to ratio the gears and shifts like 1k before red limiter. I like how it adjusts to it's own when using LC. When I run my car hard shifting at 6.5k It shifts rough exactly like how SMG hits you with setting on 5.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
My life is complete. Yodaime has commented on a post with my car in it.
Yodaime is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #1396
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
 
Yodaime's Avatar
 
Drives: Banh Xeo
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 3,399
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
i believe it goes by distance
Hows your car btw? I'm not sure if its me or not but does your boost seem to drop after like 130+? It's like the lining drop the boost down to protect the tranny from being damage by soo much boost. When I hit it from 60 it does around 16psi but when it gets to around 130+ I get a nudge from the car and it drops it down to 10-11psi. Not sure if it's just me or not. I have every bolt-ons besides Meth and R&B turbos.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
My life is complete. Yodaime has commented on a post with my car in it.
Yodaime is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #1397
Tag
Colonel
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
Overboost doesn't form with my car nomore. JB4 took over EVERYTHING LOL! But I do notice when you do launch control with DCT It seems to ratio the gears and shifts like 1k before red limiter. I like how it adjusts to it's own when using LC. When I run my car hard shifting at 6.5k It shifts rough exactly like how SMG hits you with setting on 5.
Aren't you worried about damaging your DCT with a tune? I thought I read about DCT slipping because of a tune.
Tag is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #1398
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,945
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlega View Post
Did most of the 335is owners/you follow the manual and not drive over the 4500 RPM for the break in period?
Actually no...I worked on breaking in first and second gears prior to 1200k and I pinned the speedometer multiple times.

You have to feel out the car, if it becomes jumpy then its time for WOT, if not, then just be casual.
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1399
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,945
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Do any of you know how long after the initial 7 sec torque burst that the car will allow for another? Is it after a certain amount of time, range of driving or something else? I haven't experimented enough to try to figure it out.
It all depends on the temps if the DME will allow it or not
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #1400
FoShizzle
aka Mike
 
FoShizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 335is
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LA/Ventura, CA

Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (11)

Taking mine in for 15k mile svc. Got a question for those with DCT. When your gear selector is clicked to the left for manual mode and you press the P to park, does it click back over automatically? I thought I remember mine doing this but now it clicks like its TRYING to move the selector over and I get an (orange) error on my dash.
FoShizzle is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #1401
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,945
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Aren't you worried about damaging your DCT with a tune? I thought I read about DCT slipping because of a tune.
This rumor has been the most twisted out of context rumor I have heard. Not blaming you, but you know how rumors travel especially when its online

All authority in the matter have reported the reason for the slippage was from pre-existing abuse on those clutches

Here are the main referenced authorities "in their context about slippage":


Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Before anyone starts to panic about the 7DCT, I don't think this is the natural failing point of the clutches. But rather a consequence of those several drag strip launches I did last year when running hoosier slicks where it would routinely trigger transmission over-temp warnings/limps. From that day onwards, our 7DCT would slip in the 2500-2700rpm range if we ran more than 13-14psi of boost on dyno. So I'd say that the clutches in our gearbox need to be replaced/upgraded from the abuse.


Quote:
So the (DCT) transmission is weak?

No, not at all. Actually, it took far more than anyone would have thought. At these drag events, I would also run back to back at times. Keep in mind, I bumped the launch control RPM up as high as it would go, 6200 RPM. These are 6200 RPM launches after a burnout again and again. I estimate 70-80 uses and a properly used manual clutch in comparison should be good for about 50 passes before needing to be replaced. Just to give an idea of the abuse I put it through, I needed new motor mounts a year in as the abuse in the launches took its toll. Oops


.......The unit BMW uses for the M3 is the Getrag 7DCI600. They rate it up to 440 pound-feet and 9000 RPM which is actually even a bit conservative. My transmission took about this torque level without incident driving around. It is the launches and overheats which made it so the clutch packs started slipping. It never fully gave out just the clutch packs were starting to slip and it was not going to get any better especially as I strove to add more power. If launches and drag strip visits are removed from the equation, on the street with a supercharger, absolutely no issues, just like stock. One can even exceed the recommended 440 pound-foot limit if just using it on the street like a normal person.

DCT Build Part XII (Google it, website not allowed to post)

If you didnt know, the DCT in the 335is is the exact same DCT in the above mentioned M3.

Slippage on DCT can even occure with the stock tune if you apply too much throttle or you go WOT from a stand still to fast.

Everything depend on the condition of your clutches and how you are applying the power.
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #1402
FoShizzle
aka Mike
 
FoShizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 335is
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LA/Ventura, CA

Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (11)

Good info above. I remember following those threads. I don't spend much time on the boards these days but I do recall reading that the DCT in the 335is nearly the same as the M3, but is rated for less torque. (different getrag #)
FoShizzle is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #1403
BROCHOP
Lieutenant
 
BROCHOP's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 335is
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Florida

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag3er View Post
Ordered my 335is at Thanksgiving, the car just finished production and is ready for shipping.

2012 335is 6MT
Black Sapphire Metallic
Oyster and Black Dakota Leather
19" style 313 with run flat tires
Convenience Package (comfort access, park distance control, power rear sunshade)
Premium Package (auto dim mirrors, compass, garage door opener, lumbar)
Heated front seats
Navigation system
BMW Assist w/enhanced BT and USB
BMW Apps
Harman Kardon surround sound system

I watched probably several hundred youtube videos showing the car and exhaust sounds. Read every review online. Can't wait for the car to come in.

Will be sad to see the 2008 335i 6MT go, love it to this day, and the Dinan stage 2 had been great.

Where to get a good quality set of amber reflector replacement in dark smoked reflector type? Not the painted ones, but the smoked ones?
I have the EXACT car. I will be posting pics after my mods are complete. But I'm in love. You'll be very happy. Congrats
__________________
Current: '11 E92 335is DCT Blk Sph /Oyster/Every Option no mods..for now
Gone: '05 E46 330iZHP Jet Blk/Natural Brown
Mods: H&R race/18" Beyern Mesh Dinan: Stg 3 flash/ tranny software/90mm Throttle body/free flow exhaust/Custom midpipe/resonator delete/AFE intake
BROCHOP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #1404
Tag
Colonel
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
It all depends on the temps if the DME will allow it or not
So if the temp is not too hot it will give you 7 sec overboost on every WOT or is there still a certain amount of time or range of driving you need? I've been looking for this info and can't find anything on it.
Tag is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #1405
Tag
Colonel
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
This rumor has been the most twisted out of context rumor I have heard. Not blaming you, but you know how rumors travel especially when its online

All authority in the matter have reported the reason for the slippage was from pre-existing abuse on those clutches

Here are the main referenced authorities "in their context about slippage":

If you didnt know, the DCT in the 335is is the exact same DCT in the above mentioned M3.

Slippage on DCT can even occure with the stock tune if you apply too much throttle or you go WOT from a stand still to fast.

Everything depend on the condition of your clutches and how you are applying the power.
Thanks for sheding light on this, very informative. I didn't even know our DCT was the same as the M3. I guess it just doesn't have all the extra settings and such? This now makes me want to get a tune. I thought Cobb was coming out with an AccessPORT for the "is" but I don't see anything on their site.
Tag is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #1406
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,945
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
Taking mine in for 15k mile svc. Got a question for those with DCT. When your gear selector is clicked to the left for manual mode and you press the P to park, does it click back over automatically? I thought I remember mine doing this but now it clicks like its TRYING to move the selector over and I get an (orange) error on my dash.
Yes it does
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #1407
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
 
Yodaime's Avatar
 
Drives: Banh Xeo
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 3,399
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
Good info above. I remember following those threads. I don't spend much time on the boards these days but I do recall reading that the DCT in the 335is nearly the same as the M3, but is rated for less torque. (different getrag #)
DW man im in your same situation. with the press P buttin and it trips out trying to push it back and pops up a code. and sometimes has a lag to it n shit. I thought I was alone in this haha.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
My life is complete. Yodaime has commented on a post with my car in it.
Yodaime is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #1408
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,945
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
So if the temp is not too hot it will give you 7 sec overboost on every WOT or is there still a certain amount of time or range of driving you need? I've been looking for this info and can't find anything on it.
The overboost option to be honest I didnt pay attention other than I didnt see 14 PSI unless using LC. When the checker flag is up overboost was available. I cannot confirm if overboost is available on regular WOT runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Thanks for sheding light on this, very informative. I didn't even know our DCT was the same as the M3. I guess it just doesn't have all the extra settings and such? This now makes me want to get a tune. I thought Cobb was coming out with an AccessPORT for the "is" but I don't see anything on their site.
Since I dont have a M3 DCT to make the comparison, then I would say I dont really know. However I do know the LC on the M3 DCT is more robust but on the 335is it is more flexable to launch the car in the RPM range to a MT

BMW was thorough in revealing how to use LC on the M3 however they did a poor job on the 335is. There is soo many hidden ways to use LC on the 335is its a joke.
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST