E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Blackjax / Trackers

01-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Private

Drives: E92 330i M Sport

Blackjax / Trackers

Anyone have experience with the Blackjax anti theft device?

Can the i-drive interface be used as a substitute for the key pad?

Are there better devices out there?

Instead of number inputs can you say, configure that you shift the gears from P to D to R then back to D i.e. a pre-determined sequence? (thinking aloud here!)

Anyone got the BMW installed tracker, does it work? Does it drain the battery and can it be circumvented by buying a signal blocker from ebay?

Thanks
      01-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Billyray911
Colonel

Drives: 335d Msport,touring

I've a blackjax system fitted to my 335d and have been an advocate of this system over the years.
I initially had one as part of a Clifford concept alarm system on a Volvo.This was transferred onto an Impreza,where it was connected to a Tracker monitor system and had a turbo timer built into the alarm system.
When I bought the BMW,I left the Clifford on the Impreza and at that point it was about 10 years old,used daily and hadn't caused any issues throughout.
I give this as an example of its reliability.
Speaking to the same installer,they recommended that I didn't buy a new G5 alarm system (which includes blackjax)from them and just stick to the Blackjax-running side by side with the oem alarm system.
According to Clifford,a lot of the features would have to be disabled as it would affect the canbus system too much.
The fitting of the Blackjax is fairly invasive(as it should),so make sure that you're using a trusted and skilled installer.
I've had the system on the 335 for about two years without issue.I asked bmw about whether the invasive installation,would affect/null my warranty.It won't and I've had several bits of warranty work done to confirm this.
Benefits over a tracker as you've alluded to are that even with keys,your car won't get further than the end of the road before immobilising itself.
As far as i know,This also stops the issue of your car being stolen via obd theft and allows you to gain a safe distance should your car be stolen via carjacking before it immobilises itself!
Trackers are good at what they do,but have flaws.Its also a bit hit and miss if the Police can track it before its either removed or more commonly jammed.You do get minor reductions on your policy but I'd rather my car didn't get stolen and thraped to start with.
Re the change from buttons to gear select deactivation-I just think its a waste of time and if it is possible,it over complicates the process.
For example,every time the door is opened,you have to re start the code.if you have started driving by that point and punch in the code as you move(as I do daily),you would potentially have to stop to reselect your gears in the right combination-it's also a pain to remember and to try and explain to a garage should they need to drive your vehicle.
You can reduce your code to 2 digits,so it's not an issue really.
Sorry for the waffle-just my thoughts!
The below is the system fitted to a BMW.
Billyray911 is online now   United Kingdom
      01-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Private

Drives: E92 330i M Sport

^^^ Thanks for sharing that info, your right on the gear selection alternative, hadn't thought of the possibility of having to input something after the car starts

When you say you can reduce it to 2 buttons, you still have more than 2 codes, right? i.e. left/right/right/right button, or some combination like that

BTW, is the Clifford red LED part of the Blackjax?
      01-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Billyray911
Colonel

Drives: 335d Msport,touring

Your factory code will be 4 digits and can be changed and reduced to whatever you want.
There are two buttons-a blank and a * button.code is inputted on one button and then 'entered' on the other.So,If your code is 919,first number-press button 9 times and enter,second number,press button once-enter etc etc...
The led is part of the system-it flashes to let you know when the code has been accepted.
You also get four tone siren that sounds when the system shuts itself down after activation.
It may sound a bit convoluted,but it becomes instinctive in no time!
Billyray911 is online now   United Kingdom