Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Noise

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

01-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
pkirk
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 328XI

Tire Noise

I just installed a new set of 18" Conti DWS on a new set of wheels and have been driving on them for about 3 weeks.

Since installation I have noticed a pulsed type road noise coming from the tires...sounds like it comes from the front. The noise is louder at higher speeds, and frequency of the pulsed noise is associated with speed (wheel revolution). It is most noticeable when on a very smooth road surface.

The car drives very straight with no pull, and tires appear to be well balanced as there is no noticeable shake or shimmy of the steering wheel or other vibrations indicating a problem.

I had the car aligned just yesterday, and it was determined to have not been out by much. This made no difference to noticeable performance or noise.

Has anyone experiences anything like this before with new tires/wheels? Any ideas on what might be causing the noise?
      01-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
pkirk
Private First Class

No ideas?
      01-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
No ideas?
Only to experiment with different tire pressures or perhaps to check the alignment.

My 128i has about 12k on DWS tires with no noticeable noise except on certain rather harsh concrete surfaces - which was also the case with the OEM tires.

If you finally track it down, let us know.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
      01-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Kief
Major

Drives: 2015 M4

I have the same issue with my DWS. Put them on last month for my "winter" set and hear the same noise (close to 1k miles on them). The noise is most notable between 45-55 mph. I don't really hear the pulsation outside that range.

Other than the noise (which I imagine may get louder over time), I do not have any vibration or pulling (225/40/18 all around).

After the season, I may have the wheels re-balanced. Next season when I rotate them, perhaps the noise will change and I can narrow in on a tire. Although at this point, it really isn't that bad or worth my time.
2015--F15 X535i; 2015--F82 ///M4 [ED 6/26/14]; 2015--V60 Polestar (#62:80)*; 2012--E92 335is*; 2011--E70 X5d; 2011--E89 Z435is*;2009--E89 Z435i*; 2008--E92 335i [ED 2/23/08]*;
2007--MkV GTI*; 2006--E90 330i*; 2005--E83 X3*; 2004--E83 X3*; 2003--E46 325Ci* *retired
      01-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Ernerd
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i SGM '07

Flat spot on tire?
      01-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Continental DWSs are supposed to be pretty quiet. I'm surprised you are experiencing that much road noise. Not really sure what it could be. Maybe they're mounted the wrong way.

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Winter Wheel/Tire Sale! **
      01-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
driverman
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT

Here's a few tirerack noise ratings:
Summer
- Conti DW: 8.9 (tied for quietest summer)
- Mich PSS: 8.9 (tied for quietest summer)
- Bridgestone RFT's: much worse.

All season
- Conti DWS: 8.5
- Mich AS+: 8.2
- Bridg, RE970AS 8.6 (quietest A/S)

So the Conti DWS's appear to be pretty quiet.

What tires did you have before? It seems like A/S tires tend to be noisier than summer (busier tread pattern, harder rubber).

The question is: "Is there something wrong with the tires, balance, wheels or alignment or is what you are hearing normal for these tires?

I recently had a bad set of Michelin PS2's. I balanced them twice and got an expensive BMW alignment. Nothing helped until I replaced them with the DW's.
driverman is offline   United_States
      01-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
Here's a few tirerack noise ratings:
Summer
- Conti DW: 8.9 (tied for quietest summer)
- Mich PSS: 8.9 (tied for quietest summer)
- Bridgestone RFT's: much worse.

All season
- Conti DWS: 8.5
- Mich AS+: 8.2
- Bridg, RE970AS 8.6 (quietest A/S)

So the Conti DWS's appear to be pretty quiet.

What tires did you have before? It seems like A/S tires tend to be noisier than summer (busier tread pattern, harder rubber).

The question is: "Is there something wrong with the tires, balance, wheels or alignment or is what you are hearing normal for these tires?

I recently had a bad set of Michelin PS2's. I balanced them twice and got an expensive BMW alignment. Nothing helped until I replaced them with the DW's.
Thanks for the info. Alignment was just performed. Tires were recently mounted and balanced and have no vibration coming from them. Noise seems to come from the front, so would think I would feel vibration if a balance issue.

I was previously on the conti rft. Oem.

If it is a tire issue wouldn't this be warranty? How would I go about diagnosis?
      01-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Continental DWSs are supposed to be pretty quiet. I'm surprised you are experiencing that much road noise. Not really sure what it could be. Maybe they're mounted the wrong way.
Mounted on a set of new vmr v710. Outside orientation is correct.
      01-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernerd View Post
Flat spot on tire?
that's what I was wondering. What would be the likelihood? I bought them online and have full road hazard. How would I to about confirming issue and isolating tire?
      01-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
driverman
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
If it is a tire issue wouldn't this be warranty? How would I go about diagnosis?
I spent a year and half chasing a vibration problem on a 400E and a year and a half with the faulty PS2's on my 328 and no one seemed to be able to help me.

It seems like a wheel/tire expert would be in the best position to help, but there are so many combinations of tires and cars that it's hard for them to be expert in all combinations. Once balance and alignment are eliminated, it can get rough to diagnose.

So you might have to chase this down by yourself. If so, some things that come to mind are:
- Does your car have the same size wheels/tires in front as in back? If so, I'd swap the fronts and backs and see what that does.
- Do you have any friends that have the same wheel/tire size so you swap and compare?
- Do you have a good relationship with a SA at your local dealership? If so, you could ask your SA to go for a quick ride with you and tell you if the tire noise sounds normal.
- Do you have a dealer nearby that has a new or used 328xi in stock you can drive to compare tire noise to yours. You'd also learn how another tire brand/model sounds.
- Have you tried calling Continental and discussing the problem with them?

If none of those options are possible or helpful, I'm sure you've thought of sending them back and asking for another set OR going with a different brand/model.

I'm no tire expert, but your description of the noise sounds like it might be caused by the DWS tread pattern on your car.

Last edited by driverman; 01-12-2012 at 04:08 PM.
driverman is offline   United_States