E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Those w/ springs or coils in NYC



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Kevin M
Private First Class
4
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT/NYC

iTrader: (0)

Those w/ springs or coils in NYC

First post in the local section! Whats up guys.

I recently got a new 335 xdrive sedan Msport. When I first saw it parked at the dealership I said "hell yeah", then 5 seconds later saw the wheel-to-fender gap and said "oh hell no". I have to do something about it and I purchased xi specific H&R springs, but now having second thoughts about how stiff this will make the car, and if I should go the coilover route (which I don't want to spend that much money on a leased car that I will have to undo the suspesion upon lease return). There is also the never ending debate stock shocks vs. koni/bilstein which I may also do.

My request to local e90 dudes: Would anyone mind giving me a ride in their aftermarket suspended e90s? I would come to you and would only need 5-10 minutes of driving time. Not asking to drive your car, just ride.

Thanks,

Kevin
__________________
2014 AW 335xi MSport
1989 M3

Past: 2011 E90 335xi M Sport, 2005 330Ci ZHP, 2001 Yamaha R6
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Mehale
Lieutenant
13
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stratford, CT

iTrader: (0)

Experience

Hey There,

I know you mentioned NYC however if you are willing to make a hike to CT I'd be willing to accomodate your desire to experience an aftermarket setup.

Just a side note, I had also the same debate between coilovers and just springs and for now this does the trick untill my current setup falls apart and needs to be replaced.

I do not run anything crazy but the typical H&R Sport Springs with Sport Package Struts. I am also not an XI owner, but a RWD owner. These are mild differences but I'm sure they will affect the experience and might want to get your experience closer to your car make and configuration.

I am pleased with my H&R Sport Springs as it does bring an asthetic look to the car and also slightly enhances the driving experience for me.

I would not mind even letting you drive the car to get the full experience (as long as you know standard). Its truely going to be the only way to get the feel of how the car maneuvers. I have a lot of faith in BMW drivers but keep in mind... if you do crash it... i will kill you, lol.

I need to run errands in the Stamford, CT area between this weekend and/or next. Therefore I can meet you there so you can take a 10-15 min spin with me as a passanger.

Picture of the car below:. The front lip is off of the car for repairs since the H&R Sport springs has caused some damage to it... still worth it because it looks like sex.



PM me if your interested and we can exchange numbers.
__________________
2007 335i 6MT Sport Package - Dinan Free Flow Exhaust - 20% Tints - Matte Grille - Black BMW Emblems - Ambergones - Blackline Taillights - Full MTech Body Kit - Daeos Angel Eyes - Lux 5.0 - Vorsteiner Front Lip - 19" VMR v710: Matte Black - Carbon Fiber Vinyl Interior Trim - Black Vinyl Window Trim - Nokya 2500k Foglight Bulbs - Vishnu v5 - BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

stock shocks on lowered springs = blown shocks.

like everything else, if you want it done properly, you need to spend the $
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
sA x sKy
Sameet
sA x sKy's Avatar
Bangladesh
36
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi '11 -> M4 '15
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (2)

I really wouldn't recommend getting springs on an XI because of the reason the above poster stated. The springs will eventually break. Unfortunately with XI models, the only way to play is to pay $$$. But you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Mehale
Lieutenant
13
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stratford, CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
stock shocks on lowered springs = blown shocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
I really wouldn't recommend getting springs on an XI because of the reason the above poster stated. The springs will eventually break. Unfortunately with XI models, the only way to play is to pay $$$. But you get what you pay for.
Stock shocks and H&R Sport Springs is actually quite a common pairing on our cars. More on RWD cars than XI cars because the XI cars sit higher.

It is not unheard of for a pairing and yes, they do have a greater ability to blow a shock because of the enhanced travel and more work the shock needs to endure. I have not read much on these forums to say it is a frequent occurance enough to say its a bad idea. I'd think you'd have to hit a crater to really make it happen with a new car like his with new everything.

But again, both people are correct in their posts above and there is a greater chance for a blown shock when hitting a pothole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
like everything else, if you want it done properly, you need to spend the $
I can't argue with this, you are right... remains true that if you have the $$, do it right but certain circumstances like his... being under lease... the $$ and work involved might not be justified.
__________________
2007 335i 6MT Sport Package - Dinan Free Flow Exhaust - 20% Tints - Matte Grille - Black BMW Emblems - Ambergones - Blackline Taillights - Full MTech Body Kit - Daeos Angel Eyes - Lux 5.0 - Vorsteiner Front Lip - 19" VMR v710: Matte Black - Carbon Fiber Vinyl Interior Trim - Black Vinyl Window Trim - Nokya 2500k Foglight Bulbs - Vishnu v5 - BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehale View Post
Stock shocks and H&R Sport Springs is actually quite a common pairing on our cars. More on RWD cars than XI cars because the XI cars sit higher.

It is not unheard of for a pairing and yes, they do have a greater ability to blow a shock because of the enhanced travel and more work the shock needs to endure. I have not read much on these forums to say it is a frequent occurance enough to say its a bad idea. I'd think you'd have to hit a crater to really make it happen with a new car like his with new everything.

But again, both people are correct in their posts above and there is a greater chance for a blown shock when hitting a pothole.



I can't argue with this, you are right... remains true that if you have the $$, do it right but certain circumstances like his... being under lease... the $$ and work involved might not be justified.
see this is a very front sighted mentality. out of pocket right now, yes its less, but if you blow a shock, bring the car back, i promise you, it would have just been cheaper to get brand new coils and install, uninstall them.

also, after 3 yrs you could still sell your coils and re-coup some of the value of the parts.

and the shocks dont blow from "enhanced travel and more work the shock needs to endure", they blow because they are compressed more of the time, as in, they blow because of reduced travel increased pressures.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
nyc3r
Colonel
nyc3r's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,589
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
stock shocks on lowered springs = blown shocks.

like everything else, if you want it done properly, you need to spend the $

Agree, get coils or matching spring + shock.
Do it right, do it once. Do it wrong, you gotta pay and do it again to fix it later.

In addition to the XI gap, the handling really suffers compared to sport or even standard 'i' setup. The car floats at speed..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
djsniggedy
Captain
djsniggedy's Avatar
16
Rep
663
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (8)

come by a meet. if not now, maybe when the weather gets nicer. IMO springs are a waste of money. I dont mind going for a spin. I have KW V2 and I love em. Can't go wrong with that choice.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
sickem
Freude am fahren
sickem's Avatar
25
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: in the fast lane
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehale View Post
Hey There,

I know you mentioned NYC however if you are willing to make a hike to CT I'd be willing to accomodate your desire to experience an aftermarket setup.

Just a side note, I had also the same debate between coilovers and just springs and for now this does the trick untill my current setup falls apart and needs to be replaced.

I do not run anything crazy but the typical H&R Sport Springs with Sport Package Struts. I am also not an XI owner, but a RWD owner. These are mild differences but I'm sure they will affect the experience and might want to get your experience closer to your car make and configuration.

I am pleased with my H&R Sport Springs as it does bring an asthetic look to the car and also slightly enhances the driving experience for me.

I would not mind even letting you drive the car to get the full experience (as long as you know standard). Its truely going to be the only way to get the feel of how the car maneuvers. I have a lot of faith in BMW drivers but keep in mind... if you do crash it... i will kill you, lol.

I need to run errands in the Stamford, CT area between this weekend and/or next. Therefore I can meet you there so you can take a 10-15 min spin with me as a passanger.

Picture of the car below:. The front lip is off of the car for repairs since the H&R Sport springs has caused some damage to it... still worth it because it looks like sex.



PM me if your interested and we can exchange numbers.
Dude u need spacers bad!!
__________________
Cobb E40 PROtune by Jake@PTF/RR catless DPs/aFe DCI/ETS 5" FMIC/ER CP/Forge DVs/Alpina B3 TCU flash/BMW Perf. Exhaust./BMW Performance Style 313s/M-Tech Rear
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
LeMans335xiE90
+7,033 posts ;)
LeMans335xiE90's Avatar
408
Rep
40,235
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 LCI LeMans
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nu Jersey

iTrader: (12)

KW V1 or V3's

I have V3's and they are very nice - ask hemi to e90
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Mehale
Lieutenant
13
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stratford, CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
Dude u need spacers bad!!
Those are my winter wheels. I have staggered VMR's for the summer which fills out the wheel well more. But wouldn't be a bad idea if I did get some spacers for my winter setup I suppose.
__________________
2007 335i 6MT Sport Package - Dinan Free Flow Exhaust - 20% Tints - Matte Grille - Black BMW Emblems - Ambergones - Blackline Taillights - Full MTech Body Kit - Daeos Angel Eyes - Lux 5.0 - Vorsteiner Front Lip - 19" VMR v710: Matte Black - Carbon Fiber Vinyl Interior Trim - Black Vinyl Window Trim - Nokya 2500k Foglight Bulbs - Vishnu v5 - BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
onebadmofo
Banned
Russian Federation
54
Rep
2,394
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (14)

I can give you a ride in E46 with Bilstein PSS10. Car is low as hell, here's a pic

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
sickem
Freude am fahren
sickem's Avatar
25
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: in the fast lane
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehale View Post
Those are my winter wheels. I have staggered VMR's for the summer which fills out the wheel well more. But wouldn't be a bad idea if I did get some spacers for my winter setup I suppose.
oh, ok. I left my spacers on (10mm front and 15 mm rear) with dunlop 18" wintersport 3Ds. get a little rubbing when i turn hard but that's it. your car looks good though!
__________________
Cobb E40 PROtune by Jake@PTF/RR catless DPs/aFe DCI/ETS 5" FMIC/ER CP/Forge DVs/Alpina B3 TCU flash/BMW Perf. Exhaust./BMW Performance Style 313s/M-Tech Rear
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Mehale
Lieutenant
13
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stratford, CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
I can give you a ride in E46 with Bilstein PSS10. Car is low as hell, here's a pic

Def low!! I like the wheels and car color. Good combo.
__________________
2007 335i 6MT Sport Package - Dinan Free Flow Exhaust - 20% Tints - Matte Grille - Black BMW Emblems - Ambergones - Blackline Taillights - Full MTech Body Kit - Daeos Angel Eyes - Lux 5.0 - Vorsteiner Front Lip - 19" VMR v710: Matte Black - Carbon Fiber Vinyl Interior Trim - Black Vinyl Window Trim - Nokya 2500k Foglight Bulbs - Vishnu v5 - BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
D335NUTZ
The Blue Beast
D335NUTZ's Avatar
China
66
Rep
5,673
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi in Montego Blue
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, New York

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to D335NUTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsniggedy View Post
come by a meet. if not now, maybe when the weather gets nicer. IMO springs are a waste of money. I dont mind going for a spin. I have KW V2 and I love em. Can't go wrong with that choice.
Unfortunately v2 aren't made for xi. Only v1 or v3.

I have Bilstein B8 sports struts and HnR sports spring and I love it. Not the most comfortable for NY road, they are stiff. But gotta sacrifice comfort for the better handling.
__________________

Cobb AP Stage 2+ | BMS DCI | UR Catless DP | UR Chargepipe | Tial BV 50mm | BSH OCC | ETS FMIC | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | KWv1 Coilovers | Volk TE37 TC Kline Ed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans335xiE90 View Post
KW V1 or V3's

I have V3's and they are very nice - ask hemi to e90
LOL whats up cupcake

speaking of riding very nice, you wanna go to this LI meet? i wanna play now that i got a tune and intake (cough dp and meth coming soon )
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilazn View Post
Unfortunately v2 aren't made for xi. Only v1 or v3.

I have Bilstein B8 sports struts and HnR sports spring and I love it. Not the most comfortable for NY road, they are stiff. But gotta sacrifice comfort for the better handling.
you should have ridden in my bt b7 a4, vogtland custom (non progressive springs) and billsteins, nearly unbearable, but fuck was i low and stiff.

kinda like a rock hard midget trying to fuck a black pornstar, it would get it done, just gonna takes some accommodating.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
CT335xi
First Lieutenant
CT335xi's Avatar
3
Rep
339
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi, evo 8, gmc syclone
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Naugatuck,Ct

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilazn View Post
Unfortunately v2 aren't made for xi. Only v1 or v3.

I have Bilstein B8 sports struts and HnR sports spring and I love it. Not the most comfortable for NY road, they are stiff. But gotta sacrifice comfort for the better handling.
Wilazn you say there stiff , how would you compare them to a 335xi with 17inch rft on stock suspension? My car really feels harsh on broken up pavement and potholes as if there isn't even a suspension. My car has 35000 miles and the suspension just flat out sucks. I have a evo 8 on Tein coilovers set on a firm setting and it does't bang like the bmw.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #19
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Wilazn you say there stiff , how would you compare them to a 335xi with 17inch rft on stock suspension? My car really feels harsh on broken up pavement and potholes as if there isn't even a suspension. My car has 35000 miles and the suspension just flat out sucks. I have a evo 8 on Tein coilovers set on a firm setting and it does't bang like the bmw.
? bushings or control arms?


or lets be serious, its probably the runflats
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
kuruca
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi, e46m3 / z06
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ct

iTrader: (0)

anyone one with koni shocks with H&R springs? Konis are adjustable soft, firm etc. Anyone here have them?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #21
CJ421
Brigadier General
CJ421's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,263
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
or lets be serious, its probably the runflats
Yeah - those runflats hate potholes. Ditch 'em for some real tires before you do any suspension upgrades. It all starts and ends with the tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruca View Post
anyone one with koni shocks with H&R springs? Konis are adjustable soft, firm etc. Anyone here have them?
Koni-based shocks + H&R springs are a common combo. Good setup for a DD, based on the reviews I've read in the suspension/chassis forum here.

OP - I strongly advise against springs only .... the stock shocks are not designed for those spring rates; the shocks will wear prematurely as a result. Do shocks + springs at the same time or regret it financially as posted above. This is a good post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Yes, the H&R sport springs will work with your stock shocks. However, paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more mone5y doing it right the first time around. A coilver system is definitely going to improve the overall stance, aesthetics, and handling characteristics of the car.

As gizmo335i mentioned he himself had to go through this three times before he got it right. The XI models have it tough as there aren't as many choices available for suspension mods as the RWD models. One of the most popular choices is the KW V1 XI coilovers.
It's the winter time so enjoy the high ride for now ..... take your time looking for the right suspension setup. Not something you want to have to redo.
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #22
J3NGOe90
Captain
United_States
12
Rep
706
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i 6speed MT only!
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: brooklyn

iTrader: (1)

Ill give u a ride for 5 dolla jk, if u live in nyc dont lower it too much, sometimes when u go fast and hit the big pothole u can f up ur bumper, or especialy when u go to parking lots u drive slowly in the entrance to protect ur bumper and still ur bumper touches the ground
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST