E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *Official* Active Autowerke Flash Thread

01-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #23
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i

Do you guys think the 40 hp gains on a STOCK 325i are out of the question? Thats what DS seems to claim and I find that astounding that anyone can get THAT big of a gain on an NA car from software remapping alone. If you can even come close to those kinds of gains please...let me know so I can start saving up!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #24
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
I find the price a little on the high side,but definitely a great way to start.
I am very excited to see AA getting their hands even dirtier with looking at the valve lift.

Can you also look into getting more power with the 328. I want to test your map on a 328 that has a 3 stage intake manifold installed. We discussed this earlier, but handheld is even better.

Also, would AA be able to enable data logging with this unit (like the cobb), like seeing the oil temperature, and other features?

PM me if you need a tester up in Toronto, Canada (must be for 3-stage manifold mod)
No the Simon is for uploading and downloading only.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
uweric5985
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW E90 LCI 323i

Garage List
2009 BMW 323i  [4.75]
Several Questions:

1. Would Simon tool work with non-US models (e.g. Euro spec with N52B25, 30)
2. Would AA do remote tuning for oversea BMW owners?
3. What is the possible gain for Euro 323i with N52B25 modded with BMS powerbox, exhaust and air filter? (stock is 190hp)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #26
Hedges
Major General
Rep

Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Interested, should i wait for the test first to get most update software?

Simon tool as well, email me your price and everything together for ti.
      01-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

I've been pretty happy with the AA tune on my 325i with 330i manifold. AA even revised the tune for me after I dyno'd the car and found it was running rich (how's that for customer service?).

In light of this new news from AA, I'm anxious for a 3rd revision, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
wanderlei1
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 baclk sapphire e92 coupe

Is?

Is this also for the 335i? If so, what are the expected gains?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #29
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

lol, no. if you have a 335i, you need to check out the N54 or N55 forums for tunes. Turbo cars have a much easier time getting big hp gains. Much, much more than what we could get on our naturally aspirated cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

What I think would be cool and I'm just throwing this out there for you to think about, is if the people who bought the Simon tool from you get new revised tunes (not personal ones just everytime you make a change to the basemaps) we get those free. It certainly would make things much more tempting if I knew my tune wasn't ever going to become obsolete or that I'd ever have to pay again for my tune if the dealer overwrites it etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #31
Hedges
Major General
Rep

Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
What I think would be cool and I'm just throwing this out there for you to think about, is if the people who bought the Simon tool from you get new revised tunes (not personal ones just everytime you make a change to the basemaps) we get those free. It certainly would make things much more tempting if I knew my tune wasn't ever going to become obsolete or that I'd ever have to pay again for my tune if the dealer overwrites it etc.
I never thought of that but thats a good point!
      01-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #32
LemonIce
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
lol, no. if you have a 335i, you need to check out the N54 or N55 forums for tunes. Turbo cars have a much easier time getting big hp gains. Much, much more than what we could get on our naturally aspirated cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #33
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i sedan

I have a question. aFe claims their new magnum stage 2 enclosed intake for the 328i will gain 12hp/15lbft.

Regardless if it is accurate or not, will the AA tune work with this new intake and if so, what kind of the total gain can we expect?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #34
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Steel Gray C 300

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that is one of the benefits of the Simon device. If updates are available on the tune, AA can just email the updates to you and you can re-flash.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #35
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I'm pretty sure that is one of the benefits of the Simon device. If updates are available on the tune, AA can just email the updates to you and you can re-flash.
Hopefully, but I just want them to clarify on the details and limitations. It works with ONE car and that is fine, but can I unlock it and sell it later once flashing back to stock (works on other similar devices in the industry) or is it something that is locked to my VIN forever?

Are there limits to how many times I can flash it (beyond the life of the chip which is a non-issue). Basically more details on how I'll be getting new basemaps and what format the tunes are in.

My last car was a Honda and I had Hondata which had LOTS of features like data logging etc. I don't need all of that, but is there anything we can use to make modifications to the basemap tunes you provide?

Will you release multiple base map tunes for common products? Such as stock, bmw performance intake+exhaust, catless w/ headers intake exhaust...etc. Basically multiple simple maps or will there just be one universal tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #36
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclubs View Post
I have a question. aFe claims their new magnum stage 2 enclosed intake for the 328i will gain 12hp/15lbft.

Regardless if it is accurate or not, will the AA tune work with this new intake and if so, what kind of the total gain can we expect?
The tune will work with an afe intake but the additional gains from adding both together would be negligible.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #37
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Quote:
Its not as easy as it seems and takes a good amount time for our tuners to personalize each tune for each customer. We do not just send everyone the same exact file which is why we need your stock file.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #38
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Its not as easy as it seems and takes a good amount time for our tuners to personalize each tune for each customer. We do not just send everyone the same exact file which is why we need your stock file.
Ok cool I am just trying to gather more info and I'd prefer it be direct from you so it is correct. This thread is a great idea and will be very helpful.

How does a mail in tune work really. My only other tunes were done on the dyno. I would understand if we had datalogging, but without that what is done, just send you a mod list and make the adjustments needed to accommodate them fairly optimally? For example someone with exhaust A and a stock car would end up with a tune VERY similar to someone with a stock car and exhaust B right? I mean assuming they are similar in size they would have to be close.

I really want to fully understand this process before paying to do it on my own car. I think that is something important to any enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #39
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully, but I just want them to clarify on the details and limitations. It works with ONE car and that is fine, but can I unlock it and sell it later once flashing back to stock (works on other similar devices in the industry) or is it something that is locked to my VIN forever? it is locked to one vin forever once the user uploads the file to the ecu.

Are there limits to how many times I can flash it (beyond the life of the chip which is a non-issue). Basically more details on how I'll be getting new basemaps and what format the tunes are in. You can tune your specific car unlimited times.

My last car was a Honda and I had Hondata which had LOTS of features like data logging etc. I don't need all of that, but is there anything we can use to make modifications to the basemap tunes you provide? No only we can tune the map.

Will you release multiple base map tunes for common products? Such as stock, bmw performance intake+exhaust, catless w/ headers intake exhaust...etc. Basically multiple simple maps or will there just be one universal tune?The ecu adapts to most of those mods pretty well besides the headers and manifold upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #40
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Very good information thank you for the answers. Straight to the point. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #41
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Quote:
Ok cool I am just trying to gather more info and I'd prefer it be direct from you so it is correct. This thread is a great idea and will be very helpful.

How does a mail in tune work really. My only other tunes were done on the dyno. I would understand if we had datalogging, but without that what is done, just send you a mod list and make the adjustments needed to accommodate them fairly optimally? For example someone with exhaust A and a stock car would end up with a tune VERY similar to someone with a stock car and exhaust B right? I mean assuming they are similar in size they would have to be close.

I really want to fully understand this process before paying to do it on my own car. I think that is something important to any enthusiast.
You are correct in this sense but not exactly. Not every car as the same software versions so we cant just send out for example a 328 tune or a 330 tune. When Bmw puts out different software versions they move files all around so we need to find each of of them and match them to the tuned file we have.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #42
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Freak Beast

Andrew need Definite answers

If we are planning to get the AA tune should we make sure we have the most up to date software on the car from BMW?

Will updating at BMW after the AA tune wipe the flash?

In the event the flash is wiped will it be able to be reflashed free of charge? Assuming you do NOT have the Simon.

Will Coding affect anything with the AA tune, or will the AA tune affect any coding done? (Amber delete, digital speed, etc?)

Does the AA tune add to the BMW code in the DME, or overwrite it? Basically is it imperative that you have most up to date files so you can build upon them, or are you replacing them anyway and the updates from BMW are pointless?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #43
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
If we are planning to get the AA tune should we make sure we have the most up to date software on the car from BMW? Doesn't matter BMW is only blocking access on some of the new dme's coming out.

Will updating at BMW after the AA tune wipe the flash? Yes

In the event the flash is wiped will it be able to be reflashed free of charge? Assuming you do NOT have the Simon. We do give one free reflash within the first year in the event of a stock reflash. If your getting your tuning done by one of our dealers you can be charged install time( contact your local flash tuner)

Will Coding affect anything with the AA tune, or will the AA tune affect any coding done? (Amber delete, digital speed, etc?) It shouldn't

Does the AA tune add to the BMW code in the DME, or overwrite it? Basically is it imperative that you have most up to date files so you can build upon them, or are you replacing them anyway and the updates from BMW are pointless? We are modifying your current map.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #44
soursamo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i

Is the Simon tool engine agnostic? Or is this tied to N52?
Appreciate 0