E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Battery Dead after 3 years?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
MiKc
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MiKc's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 1,504
iTrader: (4)

Question Battery Dead after 3 years?

Hey guys,

So my battery died a week ago. Got a jump start then brought the car to the dealer. They charged me 500$ for programming + a new battery.
Their reasoning for not having it covered under warranty was because I made lots of short trips throughout the 3 years of owning the car(total mileage = 30,000km after 3 years). Moreover, they said that the system showed that I had my signal lights on for 11 hours and that I have GP thunder installed.

Okay, I guess making short trips does harm the battery but within 3 years? really? Does it really make that big of a difference?
Leaving my signal lights on for 11 hours is impossible. I have my car in the garage, I wouldve been able to hear the ticking noise or see the yellow flashes as I get out the car.

The final problem comes down to the lights. As I have read a similar thread regarding GP Thunders, is it really true that it will drain the battery even after turning off the engine?
Am I required to press the start/stop button twice every time just so everything turns off from now on?

Thread for the same issue: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593106

__________________
'08 E92 BSM 335i

Last edited by MiKc; 01-05-2012 at 12:05 AM.
MiKc is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
MiKc
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MiKc's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 1,504
iTrader: (4)

no one knows?
__________________
'08 E92 BSM 335i
MiKc is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
achien
AC
 
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,378
iTrader: (0)

Baloney!!!

My 335i has only 43k km after almost 5 years. It's just luck of the draw (a.k.a. bad quality control by BMW) your battery died after 3-years.

I also drive an X5 with the original battery. It is 8 1/2 years old with +150k km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKc View Post
Hey guys,

So my battery died a week ago. Got a jump start then brought the car to the dealer. They charged me 500$ for programming + a new battery.
Their reasoning for not having it covered under warranty was because I made lots of short trips throughout the 3 years of owning the car(total mileage = 30,000km after 3 years). Moreover, they said that the system showed that I had my signal lights on for 11 hours and that I have GP thunder installed.

Okay, I guess making short trips does harm the battery but within 3 years? really? Does it really make that big of a difference?
Leaving my signal lights on for 11 hours is impossible. I have my car in the garage, I wouldve been able to hear the ticking noise or see the yellow flashes as I get out the car.

The final problem comes down to the lights. As I have read a similar thread regarding GP Thunders, is it really true that it will drain the battery even after turning off the engine?
Am I required to press the start/stop button twice every time just so everything turns off from now on?

Thread for the same issue: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593106

__________________
Your Supreme Leader
achien is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 597
iTrader: (0)

Since when do they decide when to pick and choose what they will replace within the 4 year 80K warranty? Is it not bumper to bumper?
__________________
2010 335i xDrive Coupe, Titanium Silver, MSport 6MT
2006 325i Sparkling Graphite Sport Package 6MT Retired
1999 323i Titanium Silver, Sport Package, 5MT Retired
Bimmer Al is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Glim
Captain
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria, BC

Posts: 772
iTrader: (0)

Call BMW NA, see what they say, sounds fishy.

Pick up a CTEK 3300 from Canadian tire and charge the battery once a year or when the car sits for long periods.
Glim is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
matrix76
Major
 
matrix76's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC

Posts: 1,300
iTrader: (1)

Ya, its all BS, I would have told the to piss off I just replace the f'n battery. What dealership was this at?
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K

matrix76 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
MiKc
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MiKc's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 1,504
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Ya, its all BS, I would have told the to piss off I just replace the f'n battery. What dealership was this at?
this was at brian jessel. I kept telling the SA that there must be a mistake somewhere. She kept saying oh no, its all because u have such low mileage that caused the battery to die so young.
God damn, shouldve came here before i paid the buck.
I even suggested them to charge up my battery first and see wut happens. She says no to that as well saying that even if they did charge it, my battery would probably die within a week or so then i'd have to go through this again.
cant believe i actually listened to her BS
__________________
'08 E92 BSM 335i
MiKc is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
DESI4life10
Banned
 
DESI4life10's Avatar
 
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West of Toronto, Canada

Posts: 3,365
iTrader: (18)

I did short commutes as well (5km each way) and my battery lasted 5 years.

I wonder if the battery was programmed properly at the start, or you had a bad battery.
DESI4life10 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
chad29
New Member
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Battery life is not 100% predictable. Batteries typically last 3-5 years, some less, some more. Dealer pricing is outrageous however. If this should be covered depends on the exact terms and exclusions of your warranty.
chad29 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
CalgaryX3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

I'm not even going to tell you how many KM we have on our E90 335i (it's ridiculously low). However, we still have the original battery on our '07, and I use the battery tender whenever the car will be sitting for more than just a few days, even in the summer driving months.

Asif
__________________
2011 E90 M3 Alpine White on Fox Red
2007 E90 335I Graphite on Terra
2005 E83 3.0I Mocha on Black (Gone and forgotten)
CalgaryX3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Andy M
 
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (5)

I had a low battery once too because I did a lot of short trips. The car uses more power starting than it can regenerate. Also when the car is turned off, it still uses the battery for things like the GPS, the hard drive, etc. So your SA is not completely wrong.

Like CalgaryX3, I'm on my original battery but I use a trickle charger once in a while to make sure my battery doesn't go too low. I'm surprised though your dealership didn't notify you of a low battery level before it became dead. They found mine was getting low during one of the oil changes.
Andy M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
MiKc
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MiKc's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 1,504
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
I had a low battery once too because I did a lot of short trips. The car uses more power starting than it can regenerate. Also when the car is turned off, it still uses the battery for things like the GPS, the hard drive, etc. So your SA is not completely wrong.

Like CalgaryX3, I'm on my original battery but I use a trickle charger once in a while to make sure my battery doesn't go too low. I'm surprised though your dealership didn't notify you of a low battery level before it became dead. They found mine was getting low during one of the oil changes.
oh well, whats done is done. at least now i know to use a trickle charger once in a while to maintain the battery
thanks for the tip !!
__________________
'08 E92 BSM 335i
MiKc is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
matrix76
Major
 
matrix76's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC

Posts: 1,300
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKc View Post
this was at brian jessel.
Ya, they tried that with me, my car was less than a year old. They told me it had to be less than 50%, blah blah blah, before they would do anything. I was having electrical problems with my car so I told them to fix those problems. Two days later they called me and said they replaced my battery to fix everything. I was screwed over and lied to several times by that dealership. Needless to say I didn't trust them so I bought my next BMW in Langley.
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K

matrix76 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
morphius909
Lieutenant
 
morphius909's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

When I had the minor backfire issue, the dealership tried pinning it on my short trips (err when was 25kms one way short?). Whatever I said.

They recommended a 450 dollar BMW Trickle Charger.

Thanks to this forum site, I got the CTEK 3300 from crappy tire for 49.99 on sale.

Batteries do only last 3-5 years, especially in the cold Canadian north.

Vancouver shouldn't be bad, but go pick up a CTEK when it's on sale and maintain the battery and then you'll be a okay.
__________________


2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
morphius909 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
MiKc
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MiKc's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 1,504
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius909 View Post
When I had the minor backfire issue, the dealership tried pinning it on my short trips (err when was 25kms one way short?). Whatever I said.

They recommended a 450 dollar BMW Trickle Charger.

Thanks to this forum site, I got the CTEK 3300 from crappy tire for 49.99 on sale.

Batteries do only last 3-5 years, especially in the cold Canadian north.

Vancouver shouldn't be bad, but go pick up a CTEK when it's on sale and maintain the battery and then you'll be a okay.
o okay !!
thanks a lot will go pick one up asap !!
__________________
'08 E92 BSM 335i
MiKc is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
morphius909
Lieutenant
 
morphius909's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKc View Post
o okay !!
thanks a lot will go pick one up asap !!
I read a lot of dealers trying to pin the issues on low voltage batteries on the bimmer.

Like Seriously? I doubt Bimmer sourced crappy batteries for the 3.

60+ computer modules, I'm sure the engineers knew what the requirement was.

At least with a trickle charger, the dealer can stop yapping away at low voltage battery...
__________________


2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
morphius909 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
aftermarket, battery, bulb, dead, thunder

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST