E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Eric's HPF Single Turbo N54 Is ALIVE - VIDEO



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #331
mykal335xi
boom
 
mykal335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

Posts: 598
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M335i Oreo Package View Post
+10000

In the end they can go buy the gtr for $70000 or vette for $80 and my $40000 + say $10 grand will blow there doors off.....

BTW for life....
What 335 are you talking about that is blowing the doors off a stock GTR or Z06? A $25k '06 ZO6 or $60k '09 GTR will smoke 99% of 335s tuned or not, and for less than $5k the Z06 or GTR is deep into 10s.

I love my 335xi, it is a rocket in it's own right, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds on the vbox at just 380whp, but I'm well aware it's a ticking time bomb as I add more power. My 600whp build-out is looking like it will be over $12k and the cost is giving me pause to consider other platforms before I dive in.
mykal335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #332
Sniz
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,561
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
No axel issues here after 71k miles

clutch dump on a drag strip at 5k rpm and report back
__________________
Sniz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #333
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
 
Syndicategt's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 3,732
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
No axel issues here after 71k miles
Same....although I developed a clunking sound recently, which is bugging the hell out of me. I might need to grease up my CV joint and others. That being said, I don't do many hard launches and probably won't drag race this car again.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #334
e92door3
First Lieutenant
 
e92door3's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue :3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: philippines

Posts: 398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186 View Post
shit just got real
bad ass...
e92door3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #335
mykal335xi
boom
 
mykal335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

Posts: 598
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
clutch dump on a drag strip at 5k rpm and report back
+1, street vs prepped track is a big difference. I know the drivetrain can take some launches, but long term drag racing these cars were NOT built for
mykal335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #336
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amclint View Post
What 335 are you talking about that is blowing the doors off a stock GTR or Z06? A $25k '06 ZO6 or $60k '09 GTR will smoke 99% of 335s tuned or not, and for less than $5k the Z06 or GTR is deep into 10s.
Where do you find a $25k '06 Z06? Most are in the 40s.

Both those cars can be fast, but the Z06's interior isn't as nice and only has 2 seats and the GTR doesn't come in a MT. When you think about it long hard, it's actually difficult to find a replacement car for a MT coupe 335i that has a respectable interior that will make big power.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #337
nailer335
Captain
 
nailer335's Avatar
 
Drives: alpine '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 690
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amclint View Post
What 335 are you talking about that is blowing the doors off a stock GTR or Z06? A $25k '06 ZO6 or $60k '09 GTR will smoke 99% of 335s tuned or not, and for less than $5k the Z06 or GTR is deep into 10s.

I love my 335xi, it is a rocket in it's own right, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds on the vbox at just 380whp, but I'm well aware it's a ticking time bomb as I add more power. My 600whp build-out is looking like it will be over $12k and the cost is giving me pause to consider other platforms before I dive in.
If this is the same build plan as outlined on n54tech, $12k would realistically cover parts, right? Then there's installation and probably breaking things that would need to be replaced. $12k initially if everything goes right, unless youve got some deep discounts... it becomes a huge ticking time bomb that will be a money pit just to keep it ticking also, arguably the coolest non M 3 series to date (opinions may vary)

Either way, I remain hopeful but skeptical of these cars handling 500+whp like the e46 M3s do/did. I am eager to be proven wrong on many customer cars for many miles, like the e46s (barring all differences between platforms, etc) excited to see where this goes
nailer335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #338
mykal335xi
boom
 
mykal335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

Posts: 598
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Where do you find a $25k '06 Z06? Most are in the 40s.

Both those cars can be fast, but the Z06's interior isn't as nice and only has 2 seats and the GTR doesn't come in a MT. When you think about it long hard, it's actually difficult to find a replacement car for a MT coupe 335i that has a respectable interior that will make big power.
Agreed on the interior, and general DD capability of the Z06. There are a quite a few reasons the 335i is better than a Z06, and no wonder why many used Z06's have so few miles (not DD cars). I've had a semi-serious search going for a few months on a Z06, CTS-V and GTR just watching what comes up for sale, the 25-30k range on the '06 Z06 generally is populated with a 3-5 cars at any given time and they sell quickly. What you get for that price might be iffy as almost all in that range are private sellers.

My comment was mostly how silly it is to claim a 335i is going to blow the doors off a Z06 or GTR, I love the 335 but I"m not a blind fanboy about it
mykal335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #339
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amclint View Post
Agreed on the interior, and general DD capability of the Z06. There are a quite a few reasons the 335i is better than a Z06, and no wonder why many used Z06's have so few miles (not DD cars). I've had a semi-serious search going for a few months on a Z06, CTS-V and GTR just watching what comes up for sale, the 25-30k range on the '06 Z06 generally is populated with a 3-5 cars at any given time and they sell quickly. What you get for that price might be iffy as almost all in that range are private sellers.

My comment was mostly how silly it is to claim a 335i is going to blow the doors off a Z06 or GTR, I love the 335 but I"m not a blind fanboy about it
Let's put it this way... it's possible to beat a GTR in a big turbo 335i but that GTR will still have the drivetrain advantage, tranny advantage, and overall usability factor. The 335i below 50-60 MPH will be next to useless giving the GTR one hell of an advantage. Plus we still don't know how reliable these cars will be at 550 WHP +...
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #340
nailer335
Captain
 
nailer335's Avatar
 
Drives: alpine '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 690
iTrader: (0)

blind fanbois & 335s blowing the doors off of Z06s and GTRs FTW!!!
nailer335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #341
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amclint View Post
My comment was mostly how silly it is to claim a 335i is going to blow the doors off a Z06 or GTR, I love the 335 but I"m not a blind fanboy about it
I can understand that. My brother has an 06 Z06 stock and he easily beats my FBO+meth 335 and one of my friends who I drag race with constantly has a mid 10 GTR that traps over 130.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #342
M3_WC
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,203
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
When you think about it long hard, it's actually difficult to find a replacement car for a MT coupe 335i that has a respectable interior that will make big power.
E46 M3 - Clean low mileage under $20k, HPF stage 1 (~600whp on 110oct). Lighter, better handling.

Really no reason to wait, when there is another BMW platform that has been thoroughly tested with HPF kits.

Last edited by M3_WC; 01-19-2012 at 12:21 AM.
M3_WC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #343
mykal335xi
boom
 
mykal335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

Posts: 598
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
If this is the same build plan as outlined on n54tech, $12k would realistically cover parts, right? Then there's installation and probably breaking things that would need to be replaced. $12k initially if everything goes right, unless youve got some deep discounts... it becomes a huge ticking time bomb that will be a money pit just to keep it ticking also, arguably the coolest non M 3 series to date (opinions may vary)

Either way, I remain hopeful but skeptical of these cars handling 500+whp like the e46 M3s do/did. I am eager to be proven wrong on many customer cars for many miles, like the e46s (barring all differences between platforms, etc) excited to see where this goes
Yes, same build-out although cheaper for drag only and if I sell the stock parts before they break. Consider $3k RB Turbos, $4k Level 10 Trans, $2k in half-shafts and $1250 for DP and FMIC. I would sell the stock DP, FMIC and half-shafts which would hopefully net ~$1k and then budget ~$2k to install it all. Drag radials x 4 and a coilover setup would add to that but not really mandatory at first.

I remain skeptical as well on reliability, it's hard to see other platforms with their superior drivetrains and not wonder if it would be better to switch. I can't seriously consider a Z06 or GTR, but I'll tell you the CTS-V is all but calling my name at $40k for an '09. It's good there aren't any used ones close by or I'd have to go drive one
mykal335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #344
blisstik
Major
 
blisstik's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
E46 M3 - Clean low mileage under $20k, HPF stage 1 (~600whp on 110oct). Lighter, better handling.

Really no reason to wait, when there is another BMW platform that has been thoroughly tested with HPF kits.
HPF stage 1 is about 13-14K + install. And you'll still need coilovers, wheels, tires, exhaust; and oh yeah welding the rear subframe that's prone to cracking, unless you want to take chances on it cracking on load.
__________________
blisstik is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #345
jippii ensio
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

Posts: 1,171
iTrader: (0)

Does this run? Dyno?
jippii ensio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #346
BX TT3
MAAD HEAD
 
BX TT3's Avatar
 
Drives: Sex on 19 inch Wheels
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,051
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
08 BMW X5 4.8 (Wife)  [0.00]
07 525xi  [0.00]
07 335i  [4.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
You're not blowing anyone's doors off, the GTR with the tune and y-pipe will go high 10's@130 without trouble. You will still have traction issues below 50 in almost all cases and more than likely reliability issues. If you're going by that standard; then I'll buy a Civic for 10K, drop 15K into it and blow your doors off...
u missed my point, it will against a stock gtr/zo6 which is the equivalent to the amount spent on th 335 after mods. might not even spend that much on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I raise your civic and come back with a early 90's 5.0 for 2K and throw 15K into that and blow the door of both ya'll in a straight line of course


Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
The way I view it with my 335 is. I paid $30k for it used. Put in over $18k into my car (performance parts, aesthetic parts, labor).

Yes, I could have bought a M3 for $48k, but that would be a stock M3. I would have ended up spending even more to upgrade the M3.

<3 335


Quote:
Originally Posted by amclint View Post
What 335 are you talking about that is blowing the doors off a stock GTR or Z06? A $25k '06 ZO6 or $60k '09 GTR will smoke 99% of 335s tuned or not, and for less than $5k the Z06 or GTR is deep into 10s.

I love my 335xi, it is a rocket in it's own right, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds on the vbox at just 380whp, but I'm well aware it's a ticking time bomb as I add more power. My 600whp build-out is looking like it will be over $12k and the cost is giving me pause to consider other platforms before I dive in.
please put a link of either of those cars at that price... and then when u can't add the extra 5 grand to the cheapest one you find and see how it is one and a half the price of a 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I can understand that. My brother has an 06 Z06 stock and he easily beats my FBO+meth 335 and one of my friends who I drag race with constantly has a mid 10 GTR that traps over 130.
true but your car does not have an hpf kit on it 1 and the gtr is not stock.....


Bottom line is yes they are fast cars but they are also dam near super cars while the 335 is an entry level luxury sedan.... do the math stock 335 $30 grand with all the nessacary upgrades maybe $50 grand and your at 550-650whp (SPECULATION as it hasn't been dynode yet) c6 and gtr for supposedly $60 grand used is no comparison... GTR heavy yes awd but heavy and interior not as luxurious and c6 fast and light but cheap looking interior....
__________________

Dinan S2 & JB4 G5, Spearco IC & Up pipe, RR-DP, BMS Dual Air Intake, Forge Diverter Valves, P3 Vent Boost Gauge, Custom Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMS OCC, JIC Cross Coils, M3 Front & Rear suspension upgrade, Meyle HD tie Rods
Turbo Upgrade Next...
BX TT3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #347
dhahlen
First Lieutenant
 
dhahlen's Avatar
 
Drives: e30 318is, e90 335i, e92 m3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 327
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to dhahlen Send a message via Yahoo to dhahlen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
The way I view it with my 335 is. I paid $30k for it used. Put in over $18k into my car (performance parts, aesthetic parts, labor).

Yes, I could have bought a M3 for $48k, but that would be a stock M3. I would have ended up spending even more to upgrade the M3.

<3 335
But it's still not an M3.....
dhahlen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #348
mykal335xi
boom
 
mykal335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

Posts: 598
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M335i Oreo Package View Post
please put a link of either of those cars at that price... and then when u can't add the extra 5 grand to the cheapest one you find and see how it is one and a half the price of a 335


Bottom line is yes they are fast cars but they are also dam near super cars while the 335 is an entry level luxury sedan.... do the math stock 335 $30 grand with all the nessacary upgrades maybe $50 grand and your at 550-650whp (SPECULATION as it hasn't been dynode yet) c6 and gtr for supposedly $60 grand used is no comparison... GTR heavy yes awd but heavy and interior not as luxurious and c6 fast and light but cheap looking interior....
http://goo.gl/JukNs
$30k Z06 OBO, motivated seller could mean 27-28k. $5k will easily get you a used supercharger/headers/tune/CAI for an easy 650whp in a car that's ~3100lbs. Or if you want new go get an A&A for $5-6k, proven 650whp on stock internals.

http://goo.gl/t5c8P
3-4 GTRs (not the really cheap scam ones, 58-60k for '09 is normal)

I don't know what the point of arguing is, if you actually believe a used C6 with a supercharger for 35k won't demolish any tuned 335 then you're delusional. As mentioned above, the 335 is much better as a DD than any Corvette and is a better all around car IMO but performance per $ it's no contest. It is not typical, but there are LS7 Z06's running in the high 10s at nearly 130mph, STOCK.
mykal335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #349
DylanMckay
Banned
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: armpit of the USA

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

I am pretty naive and did do a search and it makes sense now why 1 turbo is better in a car that has limited space to upgrade the 2 turbo setup.

However the other questions I have are

1.Won't this really add lag to the car?

2. Would this not be easier to do on the n55 platform as that is already designed for a single turbo? Or is it a matter of there being not enough room for a large turbo with that platform either?
DylanMckay is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #350
jpsimon
Team Zissou
 
jpsimon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 8,999
iTrader: (4)

I'd take a new GTR over most cars out there. I would never drive a corvette - they just simply don't appeal to me in any way whatsoever. All that being said I still like the idea of a high hp single turbo 335 and can't wait to see what's in store for us.
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

jpsimon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #351
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanMckay View Post
I am pretty naive and did do a search and it makes sense now why 1 turbo is better in a car that has limited space to upgrade the 2 turbo setup.

However the other questions I have are

1.Won't this really add lag to the car?

2. Would this not be easier to do on the n55 platform as that is already designed for a single turbo? Or is it a matter of there being not enough room for a large turbo with that platform either?
1. over-simplified answer is yes, but will it be enough that it will adversely affect driving - no

2. No because the exhaust manifold that feeds the turbo on the n55 is too small to reuse on a bigger turbo. You have to provide a new exhaust manifold for either so it's the same amount of work.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #352
turugara
Major
 
turugara's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
You have to provide a new exhaust manifold for either so it's the same amount of work.
Should, theoretically speaking, should the new exhaust manifold for n54 would bolt on to the n55 platform without any drastic changes?
turugara is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hpf single turbo, single turbo n54

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST