E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > More turbo noise from my 335d?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
NJ 1161
Major
 
NJ 1161's Avatar
 
Drives: 335D M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 1,057
iTrader: (0)

More turbo noise from my 335d?

Any ideas on how to hear a little more from the turbos on my car??

Any dumpvalve options, maybe??

Be nice to hear some whistleing!!
NJ 1161 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
hotrod2448
grand poobah
 
hotrod2448's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Some sort of open element air filter system will make the turbo sound more prevalent but, likely won't do much for power or mileage.
hotrod2448 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Julesandtrish
Private First Class
 
Julesandtrish's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 196
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 335D  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Some sort of open element air filter system will make the turbo sound more prevalent but, likely won't do much for power or mileage.
Look here........ http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579511
__________________
Enjoy what you drive.
Julesandtrish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
NJ 1161
Major
 
NJ 1161's Avatar
 
Drives: 335D M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 1,057
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, read that and have bought a filter ( although its too big, so getting another!)

Is this the only option though??

I guess dpf removal would help but not keen on smoke, but love the sound in the video contained in the thread '335D - DPF Removed + Exhaust + IC + Some stg3 software'

Would an open filter get this sound?? Surely there must be some other options??

Do 335d not have recirculating or dump valves as other turbo cars??
NJ 1161 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,526
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161
Yeah, read that and have bought a filter ( although its too big, so getting another!)

Is this the only option though??

I guess dpf removal would help but not keen on smoke, but love the sound in the video contained in the thread '335D - DPF Removed + Exhaust + IC + Some stg3 software'

Would an open filter get this sound?? Surely there must be some other options??

Do 335d not have recirculating or dump valves as other turbo cars??
I agree, I'm not a fan of DPF removal either. Open your windows? :P
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
stokerdog
Near Milwaukee, WI
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

I had a VW TDI and removed the muffler (installed a straight pipe) and it made a nice difference. Still pretty quite, but you could hear the turbo nicly. With this complex system of electronics, I wonder if it would throw a code
stokerdog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
hotrod2448
grand poobah
 
hotrod2448's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
The intake is going to be the one that lets you hear the turbo "whistle" the most. A diverter valve that is vented to atmosphere just makes the stupid "whoosh" sound when you lift off throttle and in some cars can cause driveability issues. The exhaust will make noise but, not so much of the "whistle".

Although I bet then DPF removal will do way more for power than the intake will.
hotrod2448 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
NJ 1161
Major
 
NJ 1161's Avatar
 
Drives: 335D M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 1,057
iTrader: (0)

I already have the rear exhaust boxes removed for the m3 style exhaust so just have straight pipes on the back half. Not that loud really and certainly can't hear the turbos.

Will try the filter and heatshield when weather gets a bit warmer.

Some Diveter valves give of a little whoosh and whistle without the big pish bangs!!? Are these even available or fitted to a 335d??

So, guess thats it then, no other ideas chaps???
NJ 1161 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Norm4n
New Member
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

No.

Get an Evo with anti lag.
Norm4n is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
hotrod2448
grand poobah
 
hotrod2448's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
I already have the rear exhaust boxes removed for the m3 style exhaust so just have straight pipes on the back half. Not that loud really and certainly can't hear the turbos.

Will try the filter and heatshield when weather gets a bit warmer.

Some Diveter valves give of a little whoosh and whistle without the big pish bangs!!? Are these even available or fitted to a 335d??

So, guess thats it then, no other ideas chaps???
I don't know the attitude towards them in the UK but, in the US the blow off valve (diverter) is generally the first thing ricers do to their factory turbo cars and frowned upon unless you are making enough power that upgrading the valve was required because it was leaking boost.

So... I venture to guess that most 335d owners have not pursued this mod. And yeah that's pretty much it for getting more sound out of the turbos.
hotrod2448 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST