E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > pls help: loud banging/knocking noise from fron passenger wheel well area

01-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #23
Hybrid For Life
Banned

Drives: Out of Spec

BMW says 88lbs.
I have always used 90 on all my card. Never any problems.
When it comes to lining the threads that's up to you. I do and always will. Some don't. It's up to you.
Hybrid For Life is offline   Germany
      01-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
Hybrid For Life
Banned

It's nice to use an impacts tench for lug bolt removal but in my opinion that's is all. I install the lug bolts by hand and tighten them down with a 1/2" drive ratchet and then drop the car to the ground and then go around and torque all the bolt with a torque wrench
      01-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
johnniewalker
Lieutenant

Drives: 328 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
It's nice to use an impacts tench for lug bolt removal but in my opinion that's is all. I install the lug bolts by hand and tighten them down with a 1/2" drive ratchet and then drop the car to the ground and then go around and torque all the bolt with a torque wrench
For those that don't have a digital screen, how do they know how much torque they are using. Or those that use a manual wrench, how do they know they are tightened properly ?
OEM M-tech body kit, Volks TE37SL / OEM Performance Intake, Exhaust and Brakes / Performance steering wheel, shift knob and handle / KW v1 coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, Evolution Racewerks brake lines / Lux V3 angel eyes, 4300k HID fogs, AA tune
johnniewalker is offline   Canada
      01-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
mid-corner fun
Major

Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
For those that don't have a digital screen, how do they know how much torque they are using. Or those that use a manual wrench, how do they know they are tightened properly ?
All torque wrenches allow you to set the desired ft/lb typically by rotating the handle and matching it to a specific numeric value. The range is engraved on the wrench. You use the torque wrench to tighten the bolts until you hear a clear audible "clicking" sound which means you're at that value.
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
      01-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #27
Hybrid For Life
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
All torque wrenches allow you to set the desired ft/lb typically by rotating the handle and matching it to a specific numeric value. The range is engraved on the wrench. You use the torque wrench to tighten the bolts until you hear a clear audible "clicking" sound which means you're at that value.
exactly what he said is how they work. Idk something about impact wrenches scar eme when it comes to a specific torque value. I like them for some things but not for torquing bolts. something about manual torque wrenches like mentioned above ^ just seems so fail safe.