E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Problems with Lux Angel Eyes



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
E90Brad's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
264
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (3)

Lightbulb Problems with Lux Angel Eyes

I bought a pair of Lux 5.1's about two years ago. I live in Canada; I find every winter one unit malfunctions and I have to pull it out during our lovely Canadian cold.

Last year the Lux stops working so I pulled the broken unit out. Messaged Marc on the forum, he gave the address and I sent it. He fixed it and sent it out without asking for the cost of return shipping. I had to convince him to let me pay for return shipping.

It was easy and I was a happy Lux customer. Whenever I would see a "whats the best angel eye" thread I would give Lux a +1:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629993

So it has happened again this year and I have emailed Lux to make sure I can still send the unit in. They got back to me and told me I am out of warranty and I could send in the broken unit in to be fixed for $30!

Aren't these lights supposed to be reliable? I have a hard time paying to fix something every year that has such a high initial cost.

I told them I would just take out the Lux and go back to stock....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
JustinGTP
Lieutenant
JustinGTP's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
492
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Ew. I was going to get some but if they die in the cold, then no thanks.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
matrix76
Major
matrix76's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
1,300
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Brad View Post
I bought a pair of Lux 5.1's about two years ago. I live in Canada; I find every winter one unit malfunctions and I have to pull it out during our lovely Canadian cold.

Last year the Lux stops working so I pulled the broken unit out. Messaged Marc on the forum, he gave the address and I sent it. He fixed it and sent it out without asking for the cost of return shipping. I had to convince him to let me pay for return shipping.

It was easy and I was a happy Lux customer. Whenever I would see a "whats the best angel eye" thread I would give Lux a +1:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629993

So it has happened again this year and I have emailed Lux to make sure I can still send the unit in. They got back to me and told me I am out of warranty and I could send in the broken unit in to be fixed for $30!

Aren't these lights supposed to be reliable? I have a hard time paying to fix something every year that has such a high initial cost.

I told them I would just take out the Lux and go back to stock....
Are your stock bulbs Valeo's?
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
E90Brad's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
264
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
Ew. I was going to get some but if they die in the cold, then no thanks.
They have a little black box that gets glued to the Lux unit and thats what went last year. Not sure what it is this year but I'll pull it out and take pictures.

Im in Calgary too. The first time the lux broke was when it was -45 last year but this year it went when it was -10. So I'm not sure what the problem is

Last edited by E90Brad; 01-20-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
E90Brad's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
264
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Are your stock bulbs Valeo's?
Stock. The OEM halogen bulb is what I meant
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
E90Brad's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
264
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (3)

Below is the malfunctioning unit. The issue is that the black box on the back has died, you can smell it.

I reinstalled the stock bulbs but they look terrible compared to the Lux light I have on the other side. I think I will try to get the broken light repaired before I change the other side back to stock. I love the look of Lux I just wish they were able to stand behind their product better. You shouldn't have to spend $30 every year to maintain a product that requires such a high initial investment. Plus removing/installing this type of light is a huge pain in the ass.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
Bimmer335i07's Avatar
United_States
231
Rep
15,801
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I'm sorry, but most companies only provide 1 year warranties and then you're SOL. Marc did the right thing and didn't even charge you return shipping for the first time. Even AFTER warranty, he's willing to fix an out of warranty product for you at a minimal cost. I know Marc personally, and I'm not only saying this because he's my friend, but it's the truth. Try contacting any company/vendor after you're out of warranty and see what they do for you.

An no, Marc did not tell me to post this. I just found this thread on my own because I'm bored at home.

Ask anybody on this forum, Marc has the BEST customer service when it comes to his products. Like I said, most companies, will just tell you to buy a new set.

I honestly think this thread is pointless. Well, that's my $.02.
__________________

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
GB///M5
Captain
GB///M5's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
660
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i, F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 M5  [5.00]
2013 M3 (Gone, neve ...  [5.00]
2008 335i  [5.00]
Interesting. I was actually looking to buy these angel eyes too but damn now I'm having doubts. If they're gonna die in the cold weather then I just dunno
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
Lolitskasey
Private First Class
Lolitskasey's Avatar
2
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 Black 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay
Interesting. I was actually looking to buy these angel eyes too but damn now I'm having doubts. If they're gonna die in the cold weather then I just dunno
I have had my lux 5.1 for two cold Alaska winters and zero problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
GB///M5
Captain
GB///M5's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
660
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i, F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 M5  [5.00]
2013 M3 (Gone, neve ...  [5.00]
2008 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolitskasey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay
Interesting. I was actually looking to buy these angel eyes too but damn now I'm having doubts. If they're gonna die in the cold weather then I just dunno
I have had my lux 5.1 for two cold Alaska winters and zero problem.
That's good to know. I still gotta do some research on them before I pull the trigger
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,604
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA

iTrader: (11)

look into some Mtec's I've had these for a little over a year. 0 problems at all and its gotten pretty cold here at times

http://www.sonictuning.com/mtec-bmw-...7000k-v-3.html
__________________
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,604
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA

iTrader: (11)

comparison Mtec vs lux

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585942
__________________
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay View Post
Interesting. I was actually looking to buy these angel eyes too but damn now I'm having doubts. If they're gonna die in the cold weather then I just dunno
Things have progressed since that version was released
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #14
GB///M5
Captain
GB///M5's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
660
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i, F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 M5  [5.00]
2013 M3 (Gone, neve ...  [5.00]
2008 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba
I think you helped me make my decision. I'm gonna go with mtech but now deciding on where to buy it from. Is that sonic tuning reputable or should I buy from someone else.

And sorry OP dont mean to high jack your thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
armyav8tor
n1smo
armyav8tor's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
1,449
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
My theory is that they are failing for similar reasons as noted in this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=24 The circuitry that is used to keep the AE's from dimming is what is failing. The only true solution is to code the AE's to run at full voltage but that would eliminate the need for going with these plug and pray solutions entirely. Its too bad they don't make a H8 LED bulb that aims the light into the light tubs or I would be all over them.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
FreshPrince335xi
FreshPrince335xi
FreshPrince335xi's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
55
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

I've also my lux angel eyes for the past 2 NY winters and never had an issue ... I love Lux angel eyes... Money well spent in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
rollinstone157
Brotographer
rollinstone157's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,701
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor
My theory is that they are failing for similar reasons as noted in this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=24 The circuitry that is used to keep the AE's from dimming is what is failing. The only true solution is to code the AE's to run at full voltage but that would eliminate the need for going with these plug and pray solutions entirely. Its too bad they don't make a H8 LED bulb that aims the light into the light tubs or I would be all over them.
They do, The LUX h8's do just that. That's why aligning them is so critical.
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
itrocks4u
Captain
20
Rep
886
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Brad
I bought a pair of Lux 5.1's about two years ago. I live in Canada; I find every winter one unit malfunctions and I have to pull it out during our lovely Canadian cold.

Last year the Lux stops working so I pulled the broken unit out. Messaged Marc on the forum, he gave the address and I sent it. He fixed it and sent it out without asking for the cost of return shipping. I had to convince him to let me pay for return shipping.

It was easy and I was a happy Lux customer. Whenever I would see a "whats the best angel eye" thread I would give Lux a +1:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629993

So it has happened again this year and I have emailed Lux to make sure I can still send the unit in. They got back to me and told me I am out of warranty and I could send in the broken unit in to be fixed for $30!

Aren't these lights supposed to be reliable? I have a hard time paying to fix something every year that has such a high initial cost.

I told them I would just take out the Lux and go back to stock....
The unit costs $200+ when you buy new. When you were under warranty, he didn't charge you at all even for shipping. Now it's $30 to fix it since warranty period expired, so what's the problem?

Consider buying extended warranty next time so you don't end up complaining like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
armyav8tor
n1smo
armyav8tor's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
1,449
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
They do, The LUX h8's do just that. That's why aligning them is so critical.
No, I meant other than the ones that comes with the driver or resistors to trick the car into thinking that the bulbs are drawing the proper voltage. I have no need for that, all I need are the bulbs. I would much rather do it the right way and code the bulb check out and to raise the voltage of the AE when headlights are on than to rely on those aftermarket solutions that fails after the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
cSurf
Major
cSurf's Avatar
23
Rep
1,094
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
I'm sorry, but most companies only provide 1 year warranties and then you're SOL. Marc did the right thing and didn't even charge you return shipping for the first time. Even AFTER warranty, he's willing to fix an out of warranty product for you at a minimal cost. I know Marc personally, and I'm not only saying this because he's my friend, but it's the truth. Try contacting any company/vendor after you're out of warranty and see what they do for you.

An no, Marc did not tell me to post this. I just found this thread on my own because I'm bored at home.

Ask anybody on this forum, Marc has the BEST customer service when it comes to his products. Like I said, most companies, will just tell you to buy a new set.

I honestly think this thread is pointless. Well, that's my $.02.
+1 Marc goes above and beyond - great products and customer service.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #21
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,604
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay View Post
I think you helped me make my decision. I'm gonna go with mtech but now deciding on where to buy it from. Is that sonic tuning reputable or should I buy from someone else.

And sorry OP dont mean to high jack your thread.
I try and order everything i can from sonic tuning. great products, jose provides great customer service, and best of all Very fast shipping, all of my products have shipped out within one business day!
__________________
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
United_States
121
Rep
7,381
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

iTrader: (12)

I went through a couple set of LUX myself....none of them lasted more than a year, but I don't like to throw anyone under the bus, so I went and bought a $60 generic brand Angel Eyes...and it hasn't gone out on me yet.
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
5.1, canada, lux

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST