E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #23
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Posts: 4,448
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Ummm...The expermode way of reverting to stock was raised by members who are professionals at doing BMW codings.

But your right, people can pick and choose what they would like to do.

Just because it "looks" like it worked doesn't mean that everything is 100% fine. But whatever. Glad the Xenon DIY worked well for your car.
+1
Plus you wouldn't want to disable bulb-checks that needn't be.
If a problem does arise you wouldn't know it. That's how fried connectors and shorted circuits happen.

Dimsum and Desi definitely know whats up
Elliott@DetailAddict is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #24
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
 
Trevendous03's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Posts: 380
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant@DetailAddict View Post
+1
Plus you wouldn't want to disable bulb-checks that needn't be.
If a problem does arise you wouldn't know it. That's how fried connectors and shorted circuits happen.

Dimsum and Desi definitely know whats up
This is true, but for my 2006, I had to disable all the headlight bulb checks to get everything to work 100% error-free. Luckily, I'm really anal about my car, so I check my headlights like once every couple weeks to make sure no lights are burned out.

To everyone, definitely by all means only code for xenon if that's what works for your car, but if you still get errors, disable the headlight bulb checks too. I just put all that in there, so everyone would know what to do.
Trevendous03 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Posts: 4,448
iTrader: (0)

^Good advice.
Elliott@DetailAddict is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #26
beneliezer
Captain
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 637
iTrader: (0)

Want to thank Trevendous for this outstanding collection of information. I've ordered my serial -> obd2 cable from hong kong last night and plan on ordering the serial -> usb adapter next week, since its in the US i figure they'll arrive at about the same time
__________________
['06 325i TiAg] [19" VMR VB3 HYPERBLACK] [Blacklines] [OEM Xenon Conversion] [35% Tint] [M-Tech Rear] [M-Tech Front] [Black Vinyl Roof] [Slotted/Drilled Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads] [PBX]
beneliezer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #27
Pyccak
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sac, CA

Posts: 107
iTrader: (1)

does anyone do coding around Sacramento area?? I just need one thing coded don't want to buy a cable and all that just for one thing..
Pyccak is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
mnk
Private
 
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London

Posts: 84
iTrader: (1)

Hi All

Question for Trevendous, I have read this thread and want to thank you for your information, however before I remove my bumper I want to confirm if this coding will work on my BMW 2006 330i Saloon with factory Halogen to which I will be fitting BMW original Xenon with Original ballast/controllers. I hope to do a simple plug and plug and code to xenon (plus any other coding needed).

Also confirm if the below cable will work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...t_11121wt_1177
mnk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
beneliezer
Captain
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 637
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnk View Post
Hi All

Question for Trevendous, I have read this thread and want to thank you for your information, however before I remove my bumper I want to confirm if this coding will work on my BMW 2006 330i Saloon with factory Halogen to which I will be fitting BMW original Xenon with Original ballast/controllers. I hope to do a simple plug and plug and code to xenon (plus any other coding needed).

Also confirm if the below cable will work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...t_11121wt_1177
I hope you don't mind if I try to answer your question. As far as the car is concerned there is no difference between aftermarket or OEM ballasts/headlights. Coding for Xenon will work for your car as outlined in his procedure. Please note that being a 2006, you might find the process a bit problematic, 2006/2007 tend to be a bit finicky.

That cable is not the recommended cable, so no guarantees it would work, but you could try.
__________________
['06 325i TiAg] [19" VMR VB3 HYPERBLACK] [Blacklines] [OEM Xenon Conversion] [35% Tint] [M-Tech Rear] [M-Tech Front] [Black Vinyl Roof] [Slotted/Drilled Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads] [PBX]
beneliezer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #30
DESI4life10
Banned
 
DESI4life10's Avatar
 
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West of Toronto, Canada

Posts: 3,365
iTrader: (18)

It will not be a problem if you use the oem xenon lights and do the coding for the car.

Note that you need to do some modification to the wiring in teh headlight. There is a DIY on this when using the search feature (xenon conversion)
DESI4life10 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoFla

Posts: 3,232
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to E90PAT
I know with LCI lamps when you flash its just the xenons but with pre lci its just the high beams. How do i set it up so i can flash in my pre lci using only xenon? i know its PwN_FL_BEI_BIXENON but do you know what value is it so that it flashes only xenons?
__________________

Coding services in Broward/Miami/Gainesville and surrounding areas! Ask me!
E90PAT is offline   Slovenia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #32
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant@DetailAddict View Post
Dimsum and Desi definitely know whats up
I do know what's up, that's why I be coding Fxx chassis already.
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #33
mnk
Private
 
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London

Posts: 84
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
It will not be a problem if you use the oem xenon lights and do the coding for the car.

Note that you need to do some modification to the wiring in teh headlight. There is a DIY on this when using the search feature (xenon conversion)
thanks DESI4life10, please let me know if I have found the correct thread for the wiring part. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...non+conversion post number 3.
mnk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
DESI4life10
Banned
 
DESI4life10's Avatar
 
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West of Toronto, Canada

Posts: 3,365
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnk View Post
thanks DESI4life10, please let me know if I have found the correct thread for the wiring part. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...non+conversion post number 3.
Yep..you got it...Lol. Forgot I posted that. (Nicely done with the search)

Good job. PM me if you run into any problems.
DESI4life10 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #35
aaabbbyyy
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90-318
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CHINA

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

Excellent thread! very useful!
aaabbbyyy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
 
Trevendous03's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Posts: 380
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneliezer View Post
I hope you don't mind if I try to answer your question. As far as the car is concerned there is no difference between aftermarket or OEM ballasts/headlights. Coding for Xenon will work for your car as outlined in his procedure. Please note that being a 2006, you might find the process a bit problematic, 2006/2007 tend to be a bit finicky.

That cable is not the recommended cable, so no guarantees it would work, but you could try.
Absolutely right... these coding techniques are the same for OEM or aftermarket conversion. The wiring will be slightly different, but the coding is the same.

That cable looks just like my cable that worked for my 2006, but that doesn't mean they'd work the same. I'd either get the recommended cable or look for one on this forum from a seller who got it to work on their 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
It will not be a problem if you use the oem xenon lights and do the coding for the car.

Note that you need to do some modification to the wiring in teh headlight. There is a DIY on this when using the search feature (xenon conversion)
DESI is right... coding and wiring must be done properly for the conversion to work. Wiring makes it function, and coding makes it function properly and error-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90PAT View Post
I know with LCI lamps when you flash its just the xenons but with pre lci its just the high beams. How do i set it up so i can flash in my pre lci using only xenon? i know its PwN_FL_BEI_BIXENON but do you know what value is it so that it flashes only xenons?
When I coded for xenon with $522 to the VO, I got values wert_02 wert_03, and both of those needed to be changed to wert_01. What's wild is when I turn my high beams on, I get my inner high beam halogen bulbs and my bixenon coming on at the same time. I changed the halogen high-beam bulbs to be xenon-matching, and it looks good.
Trevendous03 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
vomheimlin
New Member
 
vomheimlin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i SEDAN AUTO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NorCal

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
Absolutely right... these coding techniques are the same for OEM or aftermarket conversion. The wiring will be slightly different, but the coding is the same.

That cable looks just like my cable that worked for my 2006, but that doesn't mean they'd work the same. I'd either get the recommended cable or look for one on this forum from a seller who got it to work on their 2006.



DESI is right... coding and wiring must be done properly for the conversion to work. Wiring makes it function, and coding makes it function properly and error-free.



When I coded for xenon with $522 to the VO, I got values wert_02 wert_03, and both of those needed to be changed to wert_01. What's wild is when I turn my high beams on, I get my inner high beam halogen bulbs and my bixenon coming on at the same time. I changed the halogen high-beam bulbs to be xenon-matching, and it looks good.
I bought aftermarket DEPO 90s that have HID low beam projectors, while the high beams in other slot remain halogen. Should I still change the VO for xenons?
vomheimlin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #38
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
 
Trevendous03's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Posts: 380
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomheimlin View Post
I bought aftermarket DEPO 90s that have HID low beam projectors, while the high beams in other slot remain halogen. Should I still change the VO for xenons?
Yes... Otherwise, you could potentially have low beam failure, or the footwell module could burn out, which could cost a couple grand to replace.
Trevendous03 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #39
vomheimlin
New Member
 
vomheimlin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i SEDAN AUTO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NorCal

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
Yes... Otherwise, you could potentially have low beam failure, or the footwell module could burn out, which could cost a couple grand to replace.
But wouldn't it seem likely these same set of problems could occur in this scenario (low beam HID projectors/halogen high beams) if someone coded for Xenons, and later used the high beams? (since halogens require more power to run than xenons)

I would think that changing the VO from halogens to xenons means that the computer is adjusting the voltage to the lights... in this case lowering it since xenons require less power, right? If so, starving the halogens of the necessary power to properly run them would cause stress somewhere in the electrical system which would potentially result in a failure. I only know this, because in my youth me and my friends would use Variacs to starve the voltage on our guitar amplifiers (like Eddie Van Halen), which sometimes popped our transformers lol.

So, I think the only safe way to do a retrofit is to either go all halogens or a bi-xenon setup. Any thoughts?

Last edited by vomheimlin; 02-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.
vomheimlin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #40
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
 
Trevendous03's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Posts: 380
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomheimlin View Post
But wouldn't it seem likely these same set of problems could occur in this scenario (low beam HID projectors/halogen high beams) if someone coded for Xenons, and later used the high beams? (since halogens require more power to run than xenons)

I would think that changing the VO from halogens to xenons means that the computer is adjusting the voltage to the lights... in this case lowering it since xenons require less power, right? If so, starving the halogens of the necessary power to properly run them would cause stress somewhere in the electrical system which would potentially result in a failure. I only know this, because in my youth me and my friends would use Variacs to starve the voltage on our guitar amplifiers (like Eddie Van Halen), which sometimes popped our transformers lol.

So, I think the only safe way to do a retrofit is to either go all halogens or a bi-xenon setup. Any thoughts?
It's actually wattage, not voltage. I'm not entirely sure whether the car really sends less wattage after the VO is changed. I'm thinking it basically tells the car that the lower wattage ballasts are not blown 55W bulbs, so the ECU won't try to power off that section or try to throw errors. I could be wrong, but this makes sense to me, because here's what happens when I turn on my high beams... my bixenon activates and so do my inner halogen bulbs (even though I coded the VO $522). You would think in my case that my inner halogens wouldn't light up at all if less wattage was sent.

Even still, I'd do the VO $522 for xenons, and if your halogen high beams don't light, it's not that big of a deal. How often do you use your high beams? I'd think low beam failure and footwell module malfunction would be way worse.
Trevendous03 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #41
vomheimlin
New Member
 
vomheimlin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i SEDAN AUTO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NorCal

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
I could be wrong, but this makes sense to me, because here's what happens when I turn on my high beams... my bixenon activates and so do my inner halogen bulbs (even though I coded the VO $522). You would think in my case that my inner halogens wouldn't light up at all if less wattage was sent.
Yeah that's a justifiable assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
I changed the halogen high-beam bulbs to be xenon-matching, and it looks good.
Off topic, but what bulbs did you go with?

Last edited by vomheimlin; 02-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.
vomheimlin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #42
e90titan
New Member
 
Drives: E90 320i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

So anyone figure out where Pin 7 (3 LED orange lights) go to which pin on the N/FRM?
e90titan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #43
orangedawg
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

I did the pre-lci halogen to oem xenon with huge help from DESI and DimSum last fall and it works perfect! Thanks again guys! Now, has anyone who has done this mod been able to figure out a way to get the adaptive part to work? I know the leveling thing won't work as I don't have the levelers installed, but was curious if anyone (DESI, DIMSIM, anyone) managed to code or figure out a way for the adaptive part (where your headlights turn in the direction of your steering wheel) to work.
orangedawg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #44
DESI4life10
Banned
 
DESI4life10's Avatar
 
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West of Toronto, Canada

Posts: 3,365
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
I did the pre-lci halogen to oem xenon with huge help from DESI and DimSum last fall and it works perfect! Thanks again guys! Now, has anyone who has done this mod been able to figure out a way to get the adaptive part to work? I know the leveling thing won't work as I don't have the levelers installed, but was curious if anyone (DESI, DIMSIM, anyone) managed to code or figure out a way for the adaptive part (where your headlights turn in the direction of your steering wheel) to work.
NP bud.

Looks like in order to get the adaptive part to work, you will need to do more steps other than coding.

I realized that you need to have an FRM module that has the adaptive feature. If you car originally had halogen, there is a good chance you don't have the adaptive pins on the module.

After that, you will also need to purchase the adaptive wiring harness so that the signals get transmitted.

Not sure if it is worth going through all this.
DESI4life10 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST