E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Factory Header Cat Delete!!!!! ( PICS INSIDE )



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #45
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,681
iTrader: (4)

good to know. i have seen others say that the smell has caused them to put cats back in. Also, I saw another member post that his AW bumper was turning yellow.

Is your MPG back to before the delete?
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #46
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
good to know. i have seen others say that the smell has caused them to put cats back in. Also, I saw another member post that his AW bumper was turning yellow.

Is your MPG back to before the delete?
yes and no lol it was fine for 50 miles then threw same code p2198 p2196
o2 sensor stuck rich. witch is odd concerding that the AA off road tune turns off the rear o2's so something in the softwear was not doen right going back to local tuner M-Power to have it fixed tomarrow
DJ Apex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #47
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
 
OlivaresAnthony's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 2,096
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Seeing you use exhaust wrap gave me an idea...I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about exhaust wrap and if wrapping the stock manifold would have any benefit. I have heard it can cause the manifold to deteriorate faster, is this true?
__________________
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
OlivaresAnthony is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #48
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

does the exhaust smell bad now?
redlinedbimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #49
328i M-Sport
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 176
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivaresAnthony View Post
Seeing you use exhaust wrap gave me an idea...I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about exhaust wrap and if wrapping the stock manifold would have any benefit. I have heard it can cause the manifold to deteriorate faster, is this true?
Yes, header wrap will trap moisture and non-stainless headers/manifolds (even a low stainless grade like 409) will rot quickly. It is designed for race cars. Ceramic coatings are a much more practical alternative.
328i M-Sport is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #50
Route 16
I got lei'd
 
Route 16's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BayArea

Posts: 4,463
iTrader: (28)

Do you see if the wrappers do keep your engine bay cooler?
Route 16 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #51
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko kai View Post
Do you see if the wrappers do keep your engine bay cooler?
yep ive done test were my friend in his bone stock 325. i need to get a real temp read out with one of them laser temp things. but my shock tower closer to the header was touchable. and his was burn your dam skin off hot. so i need to get real numbers to post ill do it tomarrow. and as far as mpg goes im at a solid 16.5 mpg granny driving. sad! i manily think its cause i need a real good dyno tune. so im gonan op for that in the future but for now im gonan be runnign on 87 oct! lol

Last edited by DJ Apex; 01-27-2012 at 12:42 AM.
DJ Apex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #52
Hooy
Colonel
 
Hooy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 2,765
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
yep ive done test were my friend in his bone stock 325. i need to get a real temp read out with one of them laser temp things. but my shock tower closer to the header was touchable. and his was burn your dam skin off hot. so i need ot get real numbers to post ill do it tomarrow. and as far as mpg goes im at a solid 16.5 mpg granny driving. sad! i manily think its cause i need a real good dyno tune. so im gonan op for that in the future but for now im gonan be runnign on 87 oct! lol
why are you only using 87 oct?!?! I'm sure you mean 89 since that's what we got here, but our cars require 91+ on stock tune!
__________________
Hooy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #53
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
why are you only using 87 oct?!?! I'm sure you mean 89 since that's what we got here, but our cars require 91+ on stock tune!
i thought we have 87oct 89oct and 91oct? or is it 89 91 93 loll i dont know i put reg unleded cause no point to spend 40 cents more per gallon when it dont benfit me since i need to do something to figure out why my mpg is so chitty! lol
DJ Apex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #54
Hooy
Colonel
 
Hooy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 2,765
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
i thought we have 87oct 89oct and 91oct? or is it 89 91 93 loll i dont know i put reg unleded cause no point to spend 40 cents more per gallon when it dont benfit me since i need to do something to figure out why my mpg is so chitty! lol
because your tune is designed for 93 oct!!! lol!!
__________________
Hooy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #55
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
because your tune is designed for 93 oct!!! lol!!
ive ran 93 oct in it half tank and still nothing i bought new coolent temp and oil temp sensors im gonan install tom to see if that helps...
DJ Apex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #56
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

its becoming a hassle but i can truly say ive invested lil over $460 in this hole mod and process of tune. so i cant bitch since im not ditching out $1k+ lol for headers but i wont be happy till i see real numbers!

I was told when I got my tune that it would adjust automatically to the fuel octane. Higher octane increase advance. Lower octane decrease advance. Not sure but must run off of a knock sensor.
What I do know since I religiously check MPG's per fill up-Dollar per dollar the same. Slightly better MPG on high but the added cost counteracts better MPG. Noticeable power increase on high octane though.
So depends on your wallet at the time of fillup.

Last edited by DJ Apex; 01-27-2012 at 12:58 AM.
DJ Apex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #57
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,681
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
its becoming a hassle but i can truly say ive invested lil over $460 in this hole mod and process of tune. so i cant bitch since im not ditching out $1k+ lol for headers but i wont be happy till i see real numbers!

I was told when I got my tune that it would adjust automatically to the fuel octane. Higher octane increase advance. Lower octane decrease advance. Not sure but must run off of a knock sensor.
What I do know since I religiously check MPG's per fill up-Dollar per dollar the same. Slightly better MPG on high but the added cost counteracts better MPG. Noticeable power increase on high octane though.
So depends on your wallet at the time of fillup.
Does everyone who installs headers have this type of MPG?
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #58
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Does everyone who installs headers have this type of MPG?
thats what i wanan know as well. but not many people have headers on there e90!
DJ Apex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #59
Volasko
Major
 
Volasko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,114
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
This is what I was told regarding octane and the AA tune from the authorized shop that did my install:

The stock motor has the ability to run low octane fuel (91 or lower) and still get around. The engine software could adjust the ignition parameters to make it "work" and not leave you stranded on the side of the road. Ultimately you would get the best performance with 91 but you still had the peace of mind knowing that 87 would get you around if you couldn't find 91. The AA tune now requires the 91 octane as a minimum with a slight benefit with 94 octane (1/2 hp at most!). It optimizes the ignition parameters to maximize power with the better fuel. You lose the ability to run crap fuel in your car but gain a bit of power. Just my 2 cents.

Aside: What are you doing cheaping out putting 87 in your car!?!?! The owners manual clearly states 91 octane. And you shouldn't be complaining about fuel prices! Canadians pay $5.30 /gal for premium! I bet the shiet fuel has to do with your poor fuel economy. I get a solid 25 mpg (calculated, not assuming the computer is correct!) with a mix of 50/50 hwy and city driving and that's not exactly granny driving.
Volasko is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #60
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
This is what I was told regarding octane and the AA tune from the authorized shop that did my install:

The stock motor has the ability to run low octane fuel (91 or lower) and still get around. The engine software could adjust the ignition parameters to make it "work" and not leave you stranded on the side of the road. Ultimately you would get the best performance with 91 but you still had the peace of mind knowing that 87 would get you around if you couldn't find 91. The AA tune now requires the 91 octane as a minimum with a slight benefit with 94 octane (1/2 hp at most!). It optimizes the ignition parameters to maximize power with the better fuel. You lose the ability to run crap fuel in your car but gain a bit of power. Just my 2 cents.

Aside: What are you doing cheaping out putting 87 in your car!?!?! The owners manual clearly states 91 octane. And you shouldn't be complaining about fuel prices! Canadians pay $5.30 /gal for premium! I bet the shiet fuel has to do with your poor fuel economy. I get a solid 25 mpg (calculated, not assuming the computer is correct!) with a mix of 50/50 hwy and city driving and that's not exactly granny driving.
so aside of this he said she said bs who know the truth u say one thing i say another so who knows. And do u have headers? Have u done the off road tune or this new AA tune? Ive done the math and driving non granny style i get 11 mpg so i really have a hard time thinking raising my oct 5 points is gonna give me 10 more miles per gallon! ive ran 87 oct befor this mod and still avg 18-19 mpg that was with the AA tune! So i just put a full tank of 93oct today and guess what avg 16.6mpg! lol not useing the cars mpg reader thing this is doing the math after filling up again!

so since i see no imporvment in mpg i dont see the need to spend 40 cents more per gallon when i get the same millage eather way. its not about being cheap but if i get the same millage from 87 oct and 93 oct kinda makes me think its not fule. thats why im leanin to something else might be wrong witch is what im dealing with now.

smiles high five
DJ Apex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #61
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,681
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
so aside of this he said she said bs who know the truth u say one thing i say another so who knows. And do u have headers? Have u done the off road tune or this new AA tune? Ive done the math and driving non granny style i get 11 mpg so i really have a hard time thinking raising my oct 5 points is gonna give me 10 more miles per gallon! ive ran 87 oct befor this mod and still avg 18-19 mpg that was with the AA tune! So i just put a full tank of 93oct today and guess what avg 16.6mpg! lol not useing the cars mpg reader thing this is doing the math after filling up again!

so since i see no imporvment in mpg i dont see the need to spend 40 cents more per gallon when i get the same millage eather way. its not about being cheap but if i get the same millage from 87 oct and 93 oct kinda makes me think its not fule. thats why im leanin to something else might be wrong witch is what im dealing with now.

smiles high five
I am quite sure the higher octane gas is stipulated by BMW for internal components of the engine. It was explained to me beforehand but I can't remember the exact reason. Using a lower grade will have a bad effect on your engine over time. Call BMW and ask a SA or a tech. They should explain it. This would mean tune or no tune, good mpg or bad mpg the higher octane should be used.
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #62
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

your killing me smalls!!!!
DJ Apex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #63
Hooy
Colonel
 
Hooy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 2,765
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
So i just put a full tank of 93oct today and guess what avg 16.6mpg! lol not useing the cars mpg reader thing this is doing the math after filling up again!
Did you really use all 17 gallons of gas in one day?!

Fill with 93 oct for a month and see if it improves. The lower grade of fuel can only hurt, and less than $5 a tank is a good investment in your BMW
__________________
Hooy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #64
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,681
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
Did you really use all 17 gallons of gas in one day?!

Fill with 93 oct for a month and see if it improves. The lower grade of fuel can only hurt, and less than $5 a tank is a good investment in your BMW
Somebody with headers has to chime in.....something has gone a rye. I can't see just headers killing mpg that bad.
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #65
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
from were i got the idea! http://www.e90
post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382656



plus im going to dyno on the 28th to get numbers to compare to
Congrats, I am glad that post was as informative as I hoped it to be!

Also the exhaust wrap is no joke, the engine is much cooler then before!
Make sure you secure it properly, don't want it to come loose after vibration and flap around.

Car sounds good, sounds like how it's supposed to!
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #66
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

Oh and there is a very little difference in smell, the exhaust wrap smells in the first month or so, but when it's broken in it's fine.
Factory cat delete is a good option only because it maintains the natural shape of how the exhaust header is supposed to flow, the aftermarket headers I am not quite sure about.
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST