E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 6FL - Can it be installed afterwards?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
shaytanabyad
New Member
2

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern Virginia


Posts: 25
iTrader: (1)

6FL - Can it be installed afterwards?

I have a 2006 E90. I only have the AUX jack in my center console along with the cigarette plug. I went to my dealer the other day to inquire about the 6FL. I was told that unless I ordered the car with the 6FL option, I wouldn't be able to put it in my car. Is this true? I find it hard to believe. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaytanabyad View Post
I have a 2006 E90. I only have the AUX jack in my center console along with the cigarette plug. I went to my dealer the other day to inquire about the 6FL. I was told that unless I ordered the car with the 6FL option, I wouldn't be able to put it in my car. Is this true? I find it hard to believe. Thoughts?
Your 2006 E90 does not have any hardware or software support for the OEM 6FL retrofit.

The only way of even trying to retrofit the 6FL is to replace your radio with a MY2011 and then add the Combox. That's not 100% guaranteed to work or cheap to do.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
shaytanabyad
New Member
2

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern Virginia


Posts: 25
iTrader: (1)

thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Tichx
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: E92 335D Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London


Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaytanabyad View Post
I have a 2006 E90. I only have the AUX jack in my center console along with the cigarette plug. I went to my dealer the other day to inquire about the 6FL. I was told that unless I ordered the car with the 6FL option, I wouldn't be able to put it in my car. Is this true? I find it hard to believe. Thoughts?
Dealers do not like custom retrofits and would say that....

do you have Idrive Professional?

If so get this kit, 65-41-04-45-465 is the PN, around 250 in the UK and you will need a High MULF 2 with USB support....the above kit does not include the MULF2, look on ebay for a cheap one...
finally get a autologic place to code your car for USB....done..

search on the forum, plently of 6FL (USB) success stories..

all comes down to cost at the end of the day...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

Whats the best aftermarket 6fl?

Mobridge or Denison or are they 6fl(USB)?

I guess what I am asking is how do I get USB on an
06 car and apparently this is different than a iPod interface?

Last edited by ctuna; 01-08-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tichx View Post
Dealers do not like custom retrofits and would say that....

do you have Idrive Professional?

If so get this kit, 65-41-04-45-465 is the PN, around 250 in the UK and you will need a High MULF 2 with USB support....the above kit does not include the MULF2, look on ebay for a cheap one...
finally get a autologic place to code your car for USB....done..

search on the forum, plently of 6FL (USB) success stories..

all comes down to cost at the end of the day...
Again, OP's car is a 2006. It needs quite more than just that kit.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Tichx
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: E92 335D Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London


Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Again, OP's car is a 2006. It needs quite more than just that kit.
No worries, guess it's not MOST...

cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tichx View Post
No worries, guess it's not MOST...

cheers.
The radio software will not support USB regardless of having MOST or not. USB/MULF was introduced on 2007.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

Is the OEM ipod kit for 06 digital?

Is the OEM ipod kit for 06 digital?
Does it deliver digital input to the Head Unit and control the ipod or does it
basicly only and analog input with steering wheel control ? Of can it be retrofitted at all . How does it differ from USB?
Since most of the aftermarket kits operate through the CD changer interface how does this differ as that seems to be a digital connection over the most bus?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
66

 
khaye1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 MW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego


Posts: 2,690
iTrader: (7)

If you're concerned about the USB...why not just get a USB cigarette adapter? Or did you want the controls to work as well? Too much of a hassle if you ask me.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Tichx
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: E92 335D Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London


Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The radio software will not support USB regardless of having MOST or not. USB/MULF was introduced on 2007.
not even with a dealer software update?

I have a 2007 (01/07 - build date), latest updates, radio without the programmable buttons and retrofitted Dab and CIC controller (computer is still CCC).

For my car I already have the USB showing up greyed out as I had that programmed by my Indy...

Just getting my USB kit today:
65 41 0 445 465 USB/audio interface retrofit

MULF 2 later this week....

hoping it will work, will keep the forum updated..

Thanks...

Technic - ont more question for you as I hear you are the guru! If I have the Alpine retrofit Hifi, what is the best way to add rear shelf speakers?
appreciate the response.

Regards,

Tich.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Ducati848R
Captain
34

 
Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon


Posts: 762
iTrader: (23)

I have been researching this for a while for my 06. I just pulled from a wrecked 09 E90 yesterday the headunit, wiring, Mulf 2 with bracket, and USB/Aux port in center console for $200. Hopefully all works when I install Figured it should since everything came from same car
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Thumperx
Major
United_States
48

 
Drives: 335I coupe
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan


Posts: 1,332
iTrader: (75)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati848R View Post
I have been researching this for a while for my 06. I just pulled from a wrecked 09 E90 yesterday the headunit, wiring, Mulf 2 with bracket, and USB/Aux port in center console for $200. Hopefully all works when I install Figured it should since everything came from same car

Keep us informed to your progress.
__________________
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Tichx
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: E92 335D Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London


Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tichx View Post
not even with a dealer software update?

I have a 2007 (01/07 - build date), latest updates, radio without the programmable buttons and retrofitted Dab and CIC controller (computer is still CCC).

For my car I already have the USB showing up greyed out as I had that programmed by my Indy...

Just getting my USB kit today:
65 41 0 445 465 USB/audio interface retrofit

MULF 2 later this week....

hoping it will work, will keep the forum updated..

Thanks...

Technic - ont more question for you as I hear you are the guru! If I have the Alpine retrofit Hifi, what is the best way to add rear shelf speakers?
appreciate the response.

Regards,

Tich.
Update - I finally had the MULF2 coded, USB option is showing correctly under AUX menu, when I plug the official BMW IPOD cable I get a message saying 'No support USB audio data can be found'... I get the same if I try a USB key.....I am getting power as the IPOD is charging via USB...

I think I need the BMW CCC Radio with the 6 buttons, can anyone help and clarify this? appreciated... so close yet so far!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati848R View Post
I have been researching this for a while for my 06. I just pulled from a wrecked 09 E90 yesterday the headunit, wiring, Mulf 2 with bracket, and USB/Aux port in center console for $200. Hopefully all works when I install Figured it should since everything came from same car
That's more like it... get it done.

Most likely all will work without coding.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
Tichx
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: E92 335D Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London


Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tichx View Post
Update - I finally had the MULF2 coded, USB option is showing correctly under AUX menu, when I plug the official BMW IPOD cable I get a message saying 'No support USB audio data can be found'... I get the same if I try a USB key.....I am getting power as the IPOD is charging via USB...

I think I need the BMW CCC Radio with the 6 buttons, can anyone help and clarify this? appreciated... so close yet so far!
some pics of the install....

USB on Idrive showing up:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album....ictureid=33216

Alpine retrofit and MULF2 under TCU on right:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album....ictureid=33217

Dab Retrofitted:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album....ictureid=33218

My dash with new controller:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album....ictureid=33219

USB in Armrest fitted:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album....ictureid=33220
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
dgafxxx
Private
6

 
Drives: alpine white e90
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sl, ut


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

your steering wheel is on the wrong side...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
luisphillips62
luisphillips62
United_States
2

 
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

i am also having this issue i have an 2008 (late 2007 build year) with bluetooth package and want this done. what can i do
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #19
apw2607
Major
69

 
Drives: 2009 X5 35d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA


Posts: 1,428
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tichx View Post
Why not just go CIC. You've already done the controller :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
Tichx
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: E92 335D Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London


Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Why not just go CIC. You've already done the controller :-)
I've read a few threads on the subject but still confused what you exactly need...

Do I just need the new cic monitor, cic computer, usb for glovebox and new video cable? or is there more to it?

thanks.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST