E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Quick question

02-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
crispyturtle
Rep

Drives: 328i (sedan) 2011

Quick question

I have a 2011 328i sedan and was wondering what gas I should be using. The car is leased and my dad keeps telling me there is no need to be putting the plus 89 octane in, rather the regular 87 would be fine and is cheaper.
What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [4.83]
premium is required.....if you want to save money drive something more efficient
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
rickysahota
UC Berkeley
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe

OMG, there are plenty of threads on this topic
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Heracles
Rep

Drives: 2011 328 X-Drive Nav and PP

The car is designed for premium. If you can afford a BMW, you can put premium in it. If you can not afford premium, you can not afford a BMW.

When you need to lease for lowering the payment and put regular over that, that's a proof you have been way over budget and made a big mistake.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyturtle View Post
I have a 2011 328i sedan and was wondering what gas I should be using. The car is leased and my dad keeps telling me there is no need to be putting the plus 89 octane in, rather the regular 87 would be fine and is cheaper.
What do you guys think?
I bet your dad drives a Datsun 210 for work everyday.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerCop View Post
I bet your dad drives a Datsun 210 for work everyday.
My dad drives a 94 ranger and said the same thing....
i did not listen and always always put 93 shell or chevron.
the first couple of days that i did put 87 in it the car ran like crap and did not perform well at all! plus my gas milage sucked.
when i put 93 in it it was amazing! don't even put 89 it it 91 to 93 is better it will keep your injectors clean and ur car running good. you put that crap in your car and you will regret it in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While BMW has tuned the 328i for 91 octane, it will run satisfactorily on 87 (see the owner's manual) with possibly some performance/economy degradation under certain circumstances.

My experience has been that 89 is not cost effective - either opt for 91/93 or go with 87. Another possibility is to alternate tanks of regular and premium.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Wilhelm
Private
Rep

Drives: 3281T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
While BMW has tuned the 328i for 91 octane, it will run satisfactorily on 87 (see the owner's manual) with possibly some performance/economy degradation under certain circumstances.
^^ This is about as succinct a way of putting it as I’ve seen.^^

I don’t agree with the alternating tanks suggestion though.

Here's my long version:

You may or may not be able to tell the difference, but there is definitely a difference. And the occasional tank of premium isn't going to resolve the reduction in power and may therefore just be a waste of money.

The higher the octane rating, the less chance of knock (detonation). As a general rule, for the purposes of discussing whether it is "OK" to use regular gas when the manufacturer recommends premium, you have to take into account the circumstances in which detonation is most likely to occur. Generally, it tends to occur in a high compression engine, in high ambient temperature (like a 100 degree day), and under load (e.g., sudden acceleration, carrying several passengers and their luggage, going uphill).

When a manufacturer recommends regular in a particular model, using premium won't hurt anything, but it is a waste of money. If all you need is regular to run at designed efficiency, anything more contributes nothing to engine performance.

When a manufacturer recommends premium in a particular model, it can and will run with regular. In this situation, if you put in regular gas, the car will continue to run normally and I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference. However, once you start pressing down on the accelerator under the conditions in which detonation tends to occur, the knock sensor will signal the PCM that detonation is occuring and ignition timing will be retarded until the knocking stops.

As a result of the timing retardation, engine torque is reduced. Again, the difference may not even be noticed, but the reduction in power will probably affect fuel economy (e.g., you need to give it more gas to climb the steep hill).

As Tom noted, the stock 328i engine is tuned for 91 octane. Although that engine doesn’t run as hot as the stock engine in the 335, it is a high compression engine (higher compression than the 335 engine if I recall correctly) and, as mentioned, high compression is one of the conditions conducive to detonation.

The process of retardation of the ignition timing because of the detection of detonation by knock sensor is an adaptation, i.e., the PCM will "learn" that regular is being used and keep the ignition timing retarded to avoid detonation. The adaptation can be cleared or reset if you have a scanner not an OBDII scanner/code reader, but a "real" one, i.e., having much of the scope and function to one a dealership service department may have, such as a GT1 or similar. I know the Bavarian Technic has this capability and there are probably others.

Most people do not have a means of quickly resetting the adaptation. The car computer will eventually reset the ignition timing on its own, after a preprogrammed drive cycle. Thus if you start using premium gasoline, the PCM will gradually permit the ignition timing to advance. It may take several tanks of premium to restore normal timing, to regain optimum fuel efficiency. At least this is the process for other types of engines. I don't know specifically how quickly timing is advanced back to normal in a BMW after retardation from driving around with a tankful of regular and would appreciate hearing from anyone who does know this.

So if you use regular when the manufacturer recommends premium, the timing will retard, available torque will decrease and merely running the occasional tank of premium will pretty much have no affect in restoring engine power and fuel efficiency.

Real world example: Suppose I have a stock 328i, 10.7:1 compression ratio. BMW recommends premium fuel and I drive around on regular. Within a short while the engine (specifically the ignition timing) will adapt. I will probably only notice when merging onto a freeway or pressing down on the accelerator to change lanes. The same amount of power won't be there. I'll have to give it more gas (which will lower the mpg's). Why run a powerful engine if the full power is not there when you ask for it?

As Tom said, if BMW calls for premium, you're not getting the performance you paid for if you use regular. So even though I can use regular I always use premium so the power to be there when I need it, even if I do not need it every day. As an alternative, I suppose it's possible to save a little bit of money on gas by alternating tankfuls of regular and premium, but only if I use my BT to reset the knock sensor adaptation after filling up with premium.

Last edited by Wilhelm; 02-04-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Appreciate 0